Anyone else in nursing school?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Oct 3, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I'm having a hard time right now and don't want to drop out. But going to clinicals is so hard for me right now, I feel like I'm in hell!
  2. trinity3

trinity3 New Member

i am a nurse for 14 years now but i remember nursing school well!!! what year are you in?? how many years left? believe me i understand how hard it is to choose, to make a decision about what you can and cant do anymore... that is one of the reasons so many of us become so depressed!!

but remember, that AFTER school, nursing itself isnt any easier!! i have had to not only decrease my hours to almost nothing... i have had to limit what KIND of nursing i can do! at this point i can only actually physically do psych nursing because it is much less exertion on the body than medical nursing...

i am so sorry that you even have to be in this position... wanting to be a nurse is such a wonderful thing to want to do with your life... feeling like you cant do it just seems so unfair!!

*sending you blessings*
    gina
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I loved nursing almost all the time I was nursing. I remember singing to myself as I was doing my work. I was happy!! After several years as a hospital nurse, I began teaching for a community college, doing the clinical part of the program.It did become more difficult and I switched to part time for a while before I stopped.

I know exactly what you are going through. I applaud your career choice and I hope so much that you can find a way to make it work.

All the best.

Kathy.
  4. ourplanet

ourplanet New Member

Me too!! I am in Dental Hygiene School so I am in a similar boat with clinicals and the like. I have days where I am pretty sure I am just gonna cry all the way home. (And I communte over an hour, so plenty of time to that!) But I know in the long run, it will be the best decision I ever made for myself and my husband. I will only ever have to work PT if I choose as we are not having kids. Conserve your energy. Save it for studying and school. Other people can take care of themselves. You do not have to be Super Mom, Wife, Daughter, or whatever other roles your life usually has you take on. You need to do this for you. I will be thinking of you. Gentle Hugs and Thoughts your Way!
  5. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

....Had originally intended to enter the xray technician program,but realized how very physically demanding it will be be. I'm still attending school part-time and working full-time and I can SOOOOOOOOOOO sympathize with you there.

Some days it is literally HELL on earth to push through, but I just keep telling myself that I will be so worth it in the end and it will.

So I'm trying to figure out what I want to pursue now. I was thinking maybe a vet tech since you can work in practices with a majority of smaller animals instead of all big people:)!

Anyway you're not alone. I know all of us have different severity of our symptoms, but keep on keepin' on and you'll be so glad you did. But if you get to the point where you can't, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

I know even with this DD I feel very blessed because so many are worse than I am.

Jen
  6. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I will start next week, and I am nervous. They have said the school and exams are equivalent to an RN. I am scared, but determined not to let this DD take my life away.

Misty
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Nursing School is hard. Clinicals are exhausting.

I was a 4.0 Average in Business Administration in Accounting and Managment prior to switching to Nursing and Nursing was three times harder.

I also worked 32 hours a week and went to nursing school with 15 hours a week. LOOKING BACK, I DON'T KNOW HOW I LIVED THROUGH IT, BUT I FINISHED FIRST IN MY CLASS. DIDN'T HAVE FM AT THE TIME, THOUGH.

I did two years of Critical Care and then went to Anesthesia School. Did anesthesia for 26 years until FM got me. The fog did terrible things to my memory and completely screwed my photographic memory. Transposed numbers all the time, and then fell and injured myself because of the muscle tightness.

Stick with it or you can cut back, but those courses have to be taken in order and it will take you twice as long.

The one good thing about it, however, now, is that there are myriads of things which can be done with nursing degrees which are not as physically challenging.