Anyone else like crossword puzzles?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 7, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I've become an addict.

To crossword puzzles, that is.

I've started to do at least one a day, usually the puzzle in the Albuquerque Journal, which is fairly easy, or the New York Times crossword.

The Times puzzle starts out fairly easy on Monday but then gets harder each day of the week, until it's all but impossible on Saturday. I'll bet Rock would be good at it, though. I've found that I like the Times Monday or Tuesday puzzle, because they don't fry my brain too much.

Just wondering if there are any othere fellow addicts out there.

2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I love crossword puzzles...It's amazing how much you can learn from doing them.

I esp. like logic problems, but with the fibro fog I can't do them as much.

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

When I was in grad school I did the university paper's crossword every day.

My husband takes the crossword puzzle page now. Two years ago I got him one of those 7' x 7' sectional puzzles, but he hasn't started it yet!

I have gotten myself hooked on msn's Bejeweled 2 (action version) and have broken 500,000, but have yet to go further. Last year I broke my FreeCell solitaire hand-held game, so I asked for a new one for Christmas. It is a different version, so I have yet to get used to it...but with the former version, I kept my game win percentage at 100%!

A long time ago I used to get the magazine Games, but wouldn't have a chance now!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your plight. Have you tried Crosswords Anonymous? There's a meeting not too far from my house. To get there you go down the street and across the bridge.

My mother used to do crosswords. Was very good at them. I tried them a couple time; didn't like 'em.

But I starting doing them a few years ago 'cause I read a couple times they helped ward off Alzheimer's. I am afraid they are not warding it off. Instead they are exposing it.

I write the correct word in the wrong space; discover I intended to write one letter and somehow wrote another, etc.

I tried some difficult puzzles, but couldn't do them. So I do easy ones. Can't find any of medium difficulty. Lacey is right. I've learned lots of new words like orlop, erne, and ete (Fr.).

I like to work them into my conversation whenever possible. Last ete I was standing on the orlop when an erne flew overhead. It was followed by a nene.

I buy bundles of old mags cheap. They got kinda boring so I started using colored felt tip pens. Sometimes I make beautiful designs. I feel sure someday a grad student will write a thesis about this new folk art.

Well, I'd better end, terminate, cease and halt before my post evaporates, vanishes, disappears, or becomes extinct.

Good to hear from you, Ken. Keep posting, smiling, breathing, reading and blaming it on the _____ Nova.

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

started a year ago, to keep my brain functioning - just do an easy one every day which can be difficult depending on state of said brain.

I occassionally cheat and get answers online if I am particularly frustrated by it.

My Mum got me started, she did crosswords for as long as I could remember, in the newspapers and crossword books and she lived til she was 82 with her brain intact.

6. sisland

sisland New Member

I See where they have Brought back the Crossword game show on Cable! I think it's on the Fox Network at about 1 pm MST,,,,,,,,Maybe you can find it,,it's fun to watch!,,,,,,,,,Glad to have you Back with us! Sis
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I love crosswords, the problem is...I can only do simple ones. I buy the easy crossword books. My husband recently stared doing Sudoko which he loves.