Anyone else NEVER get fevers?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by suz9601, May 29, 2005.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I haven't had a fever in years. Are any of you like me? Even when I used to get normal colds/flu I never had a fever. Does anyone know why this is? Seems if I could get a fever it would help kill some of these bugs...
  2. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

and I don't seem to get colds anymore either. It's been a few years since I last had a cold or flu. I used to get sinus infections on a regular basis too but for some reason haven't had any since my 1st cfids "crash". Not complaining about that for sure!!!!

With everything else that goes wrong at least I'm spared those miseries.

Gotta count our blessings--Marlene
  3. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

In fact, my body temp. runs on the low side all of the time.

I had bronchitis about a year and a half ago, no fever then.
    I get slight head colds that I can usually fight off in a few days,but do not catch flus and other things even if exposed to them in my own home.

Makes one wonder if our immune systems are in some type of over-drive.
  4. debranne

debranne New Member

I cannot remember the last time I had a fever. My temp is usually 95 degrees. When my temp is 98.6 or higher, I know I am sick, but try to tell someone in the medical field that a normal temp is a fever for me.
  5. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

When I do get them they are low grade no matter how bad the infection is.

Gail
  6. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I think I read in Teitelbaums book or somewhere that it could be the dysfunction of the hypothalamus that prevents us from having a fever...I wonder if that is the problem?
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I run a low/normal temp too, around 95-96. If I EVER reach 100 I am down for the count.
  8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I hadn't had a fever in about 10 years till I got this season's flu. I finally ran about 103 fever for 2 days and felt so much better for a while (after I recovered from the flu).

My doctor thought it might have helped me get rid of some infections that my immune system wasn't recognizing. Now I'm back to my normal 97 degree temperature.

I do have some weird hypothalamus problems. When I lie down at night I get very chilled and even shake sometimes. But then about 2 am I usually wake up throwing the covers off and feeling hot. This has happened most of my life.

Jan
  9. JudieV

JudieV New Member

Even though I'm a nurse they still do not believe that 99 is a raging temp for me. I was admitted 3 times with severe pneumonia.............temp 98 maybe 99. It took them a week of charting to fimally believe me! I went up to 101 once.......I was delerious and crazed & one nuse called me a big baby!!

So now I thank God, since we oved to Florida I had sinusitis 2 but no hospitals!!!
    As much as my heart yearns to be a New Yorker again, my body knows I belong here!

JudieV
  10. oholland

oholland New Member

I always run a temp of between 96 and 97 unless I'm sick and then it just might go up to all of 98.5. But of course the medical profession never recognizes that as a temp.

I use to run high temps when I was sick, but that was in the olden days before FMS/CFS.

This thread has enlightened me as to the fact that this is another sign of this DD. We can't even maintain a high temp for the docs so that they will believe us when we're ill!
  11. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

If you have a low body temp, it is just POSSIBLE that you have a chronic infection such as Borreliosis, which slowly ADJUSTS THE BODY TO SUIT IT!! This includes body temp as it cannot thrive as well in a warmer/hotter body.

12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I haven't run a fever in years and have been very sick at times with what I thought was the flu and sinus infections.

My temp. is usually between 95 and 96, I don't understand why doctors ignore this even when I tell them..If I get a temp of 98 then I know I have a fever but they don't agree.

Jan I am like you with the chills at night
    then waking up very warm as far as the chills no matter how much cover or clothing I have on I still have chills..

Is it part of this DD or another disease?

After all these years the doctors say I think its cfids, I don't like the I think...I want to know do I or don't I...

Phyl
  13. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Seems that since I've had FMS, I haven't had anything else. There are times when I think I'm coming down with a cold, but then it goes away.

Maybe someone is giving us a break! Figures we have enought to deal with.

My temp is also low....around 96.
  14. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

Is a SYMPTOM (many sx as you know)of a disease, infection(s), or other underlying cause(s).

Never getting sick is not a good sign (although it's been a relief for me also when I did not catch things for years), it means your immune system is not working properly. In a nutshell.
  15. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

My family can have colds and flus all around me, but its been a number of years that I've even caught a cold,, let alone a fever. I can't remember the last time I ever had one,,,. Don't know if that is a good thing or not. I don't know what my temp is normaly, as I seldom take it. Funny, I feel like crap most of the time, but I never catch anything!. Does that mean my immune system isn't working proberly, or what?

Razorqueen
  16. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

since the birts of my children I rarely get really sick. I have not had a fever in 6 years. The last one was a nasty stomach virus that I was admitted to the hospital with. Now when I get sick I have one symptom at a time. First I get headaches and sinus trouble, the next week these will ebb and I will get GI problems then, nothing. So I get sick for a few weeks but all symptoms come seperatly. Go Figure?
    A
  17. speechteach

speechteach New Member

I usually run low... 96 or 97...however, this is due to hypothyroidism. Then, I also have a hormonal imbalance and have hot flashes all the time.. have since I was 12. But, lately, unlike all of you who replied, I do get a fever pretty much every night. Docs can't figure it out.. say maybe it is the dysautonomia (which I figure is just another one of those strange disorder names they give you when THEY can't come up with anything else).
  18. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I don't get fevers either. I just caught a cold and it's the first time in 4-5 years. Even when I feel hot I don't have a temperature. My temp usually runs around 97 or so. Still can't understand why.

BxGirl
  19. MsChariti

MsChariti Member

I have had CFS for 20 years now and do not get fevers since the acute phase of the flu like illness that left me with CFS. I have been through seasonal viruses at least once if not several times a year and no matter how sick I am I will not get a fever. I also tend to catch illness very quickly and often get down more than others. It appears that my immune system is dysfunctional and because of this I have always related to the acronym CFIDS as this describes my situation the best.
    Soul* likes this.
  20. BornBuckeye

BornBuckeye Member

I have not had a fever since I received the pneumonia vaccine 10 years ago and don’t remember the last time I had a fever before that. When I got the pneumonia vaccine, I had a 103 temp and had a red streaking from the sight of the infection going towards my heart. By the time I found the streaking, it had stopped. My temp runs at a normal 97.4 degs. I have been struggling with my health for about 11 years now and get sinus and ear infection and colds very easily. The Mono put me down hard and I have never fully recovered from it and My Doc has finally diagnosed me with chronic fatigue.