anyone else not able to tolerate antidepressants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Nov 26, 2007.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i'm beginning to think that i just cannot take anti-depressants.

in my lifetime i have been prescribed 5 different anti depressants. none for actually being depressed. all to "help me sleep".

Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Nortriptyline, Amatriptyline, and Trazadone.

each time, i have gotten a racy heart, nausea, sweating, and became very agitated. One time, i even got visions of wanting to run up and punch someone! i wouldn't even kill a fly!

i'm beginning to think i am allergic to them or something?

i don't know if it's just something in my chemical make-up, or if it happens because i'm not really depressed, and the extra chemicals are too much in my body?

anyone else have problems with anti-depressants that would care to share their experiences?

i'm wondering if, for now on, when they ask me if i have any allergies to medication, i should say yes, to anti depressants?

thanks so much....Autumn <3
  2. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Dr. David Bell has suggested that intolerance of antidepressants is perhaps one of the key identifiers of CFS. Most CFS patients tend to react badly to them, and need them prescribed in extra-small doses.

I was able to fix my mood with supplements, which worked better than antidepressants and with none of the side effects I had suffered from medication. Each of us is so chemically different when it comes to these things, but it might be something to think about.

-febricula
  3. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Autumn--I, also, cannot tolerate anti-depressants--AT ALL. I've tried Prozac, Welbutrin and Lexapro. My GP "begged" me to try them for about 4-6 weeks each mainly to shut up the neurologists. His theory was that it would be best if I could show that I'd tried every route. I even tried tincture of marijuana at his suggestion. I hated all of them.

I had the same responses you did; mainly scrambled, scattered, and wired thought processing. I'm normally a very centered, calm person so that really bothered me. I've never been depressed a day in my life. I've been sad and disappointed about this DD but I always have a positive outlook. It's just who I am.

We finally settled on Klonopin to help me sleep. I honestly don't care if I become dependent on it as it has helped so much. I sleep peacefully with it with a minimum of mini-seizures and myoclonus during the night. You might ask your doctor about it.

Missizzy
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

which is very common in ME/CFS.

T
  5. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I can't handle them either.. Twice I wound up in the ER..Once for hallucinations from amytriptaline, and the second was because of severe muscle cramping from cymbalta, I think it was.. So I guess I'm one of those that don't tolerate them at all either..

I forgot to add, I suffer from ME/CFS...<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/27/2007</i>]
  6. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

it seems like the consensus is that most people with CFS/ME cannot tolerate the ADs. i'm diagnosed with FM.

at first, i thought i had CFS, but my main symptom is pain. my doctor did say they went hand in hand sometimes, maybe that's the case? or i just cannot tolerate them, with FM?

i'm getting ready to call my neurologist (the one who prescribed them this time), and see what he says.

thanks again.

i'd still appreciate hearing any other experiences if anyone would like to share.
  7. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've tried a few with the same results - disrupted thought process, bizarre dreams, nausea, etc. But I keep taking them (current one is Cymbalta) as Effexor and Cymbalta reduced the pain level - so it's a trade off.
  8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My daughter (28) was given different anti-depressants and reacted to several including Prozac, Zoloft, etc but finally got a prescription for Effexor and did great - it even helped her FM.

It must really be an individual thing because I have read about many people reacting badly to Effexor.

Jan
  9. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Nofool--You are probably right about many of us not being on the meds long enough, at least 4-6 weeks. I just couldn't tolerate the brain scrambling. It feels that I have so little left to be comfortable with (bedbound, extremely weak and fatigued) that I just didn't have it in me to wait those extra weeks. The longest I was on anything was four weeks. I was so happy to come off them, I actually felt "better" for a while.

It certainly might be true that some of the side effects would wane. I'm interested to see how others do on them. I really wonder if there's any correlation to whether or not a person has ever experienced depression or anxiety before the onset of the ME? I haven't ever had those challenges, thank goodness. The only meds I had to take before the ME was Midrin for menstrual migraine every month.

Missizzy
  10. munch1958

munch1958 Member

If I had $1 for every time a doctor told me I was depressed
    I'd be loaded! I've tried Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Trazadone, Elavil, and Prozac plus many others. (Can't even remember the names of all of them.

I have also tried the herbal route with St. John's Wort. I've never found any help with ADs. Some of them I tried for 6 months to 2 years. The sexual side effects are intolerable plus I don't like cotton mouth.

Neurorelief.com testing in Jan 2006 showed my neurotransmitters were all NORMAL. My serotonin levels are HIGH not low. Mostly ADs made me restless and unable to sleep.

What has worked for me is hormones! Blood tests showed I was low in thyroid, cortisol, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and growth hormone. I've been supplementing all 7 of these with terrific results.

Extensive FFC testing identified the problem but the doc I saw did not know how to correct it. I've moved on to one of the top LLMDs in the USA. He is great with hormones and not afraid to prescribe HGH.

In my case, my IGF-1 was very low which is a sign of low growth hormone status. Conventional doctors are all too quick to diagnose depression but sometimes there is a deeper underlying problem.

Chronic infections cause hormone deficiencies especially growth hormone. GH is released during sleep and exercise. If you can't do either one it makes sense it would be low.

Most docs don't bother with any kind of hormone testing. Of the roughly 203 doctors I've seen over the years only a handful (holistic docs) have ever thought to check my endocrine system. The ones that did are the docs that have been the most help.

3 out of 4 endocrinologists I've seen have blown me off. Now I have a great one who is an expert with HGH. I found him through the Magic Foundation for children with growth hormone disorders. He's one of their advisors.

Here is link to a short quiz that identifies hormone deficiencies. The quiz was developed by Dr. Thierry Hertoghe of Belgium and author of the book "The Hormone Solution."
    http://www.centermd.com/hormoneQuestionnaire.doc

With the help of Abx, yeast meds, heparin, and hormones
    I'm functioning at 90%! I exercise regularly with either pool aerobics or Nordic Track (45 minutes), or bicycle (10-12 miles) if the weather is nice plus work in my garden.
  11. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I can't deal with them either.

I was on Effexor for three years, and kept getting sicker and sicker with the ME/CFS symptoms. My doctor tinkered up & down with the dosage, prescribed other drugs to deal with the side effects, etc. I felt like I was being poisoned.

Finally I began seeing articles about these problems and determined to taper down slowly and finally get off it for good - it was just awful, even as slowly as I went, and took me six months.

I think Effexor made my ME/CFS worse. I am so much better now that I'm off it.

In the past I have used a very low-dose of Zoloft for years too, which helped with the depression but made brainfog really bad.

Other SSRI like Paxil, Prozac, and Pamelor were so unpleasant I had to stop them after a matter of months.

Now I take amino acids - which have eliminated the brainfog and depression, and help with my sleep problems, orthostatic intolerance, and anxiety.

Best,

Roseblossom
  12. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I can't take stimulants either, like ProVigil.

I wonder if Multiple Chemical Sensitivity extends to pharmaceutical drugs, as well as household cleaning chemicals, industrial waste, etc.

Roseblossom
  13. thedan

thedan New Member

/can't tolerate them at all, and I've been on a bunch. Most of them put me into the shades of depression, and an extended down-cycle where I can hardly function. A couple of them (and if I try to remember which I'll get it wrong ( memory like a, uh ...) made me dangerously prone to violence. The worst part was that the effects don't just disapear when you DC the drug. They have to be worked out of your system first.

Dan
  14. lilac_lover

lilac_lover New Member

Same reactions...racing heart, sweating, agitated, actually thinking, "Oh, so this is how I'm going to go, then?" Not punchy, though...only topamax made me have violent thoughts (can't think right now what topamax is for...)

I would say, "yes, allergic to AD's". I put down topamax as an allergy, anyway...lol...I dont want to go around raging at people.

I have tried amatriptyline, cymbalta, trazadone, and prozac .
  15. Empower

Empower New Member

I have tried most of them

I think the problem is that docs start us out on WAY TOO HIGH of a dose

I have had a little success with Effexor, but I take the granules out of the pill and started out (believe it or not) by taking 1/2 of a granule.

I actually worked my way up to about 18 granules, but because of severe weight gain, I started reducing it again.

I certainly don't recommend anyone doing this, and I am sure any doctor would not recommend this either, but it is the only way that I could do it

The Effexor helped me to sleep better, but if I wake up in the middle of the night, I feel really sick and nauseous, and feel like I am just going to die

16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Many of us are very sensitive to medications. I can't take any anti-depressents either.

There is a dna test you can get that helps determine which medications are best for you. It is very interesting, but supposedly, due to our individual genetics, some of us cannot tolerate certain medications.
  17. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. i really appreciate it.

i called my doctor's office and told them of the reaction i had, and was told to discontinue it.

i agree that side effects will go away the longer you are on something, but when you have adverse reactions to a med, then you probably shouldn't be on it.

thanks again everyone.<3

18. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Interestingly enough I became severely worse with my CFS AFTER trying PROZAC. After being on it for maybe 1 week i was ready to rip my skin off I couldnt stand it. I could see how some people can do crazy things on these drugs. It was a nightmare and I really havent been back to my old self since trying it. Is it an allergic reaction?? I dont know. I felt like it heightened some chemical in me that was already too high. Perhaps Seretonin Syndrome? Just a thought.

I hadnt heard David Bells remarks on PWC and not tolerating ADs before.
  19. thedan

thedan New Member

I take Gabitril to get me to 4th stage of sleep. Works great! It's actually meant to be for seizures or something like that- can't really remember. But getting to 4th stage is one of the side effects, so the mental health doc prescribed it for me. It won't put you to sleep, though.

dan
  20. LacyLeigh

LacyLeigh New Member

I am also very intolerant to antidepressants along with most all pain medications, especially the narcotic ones. I have fibromyalgia.