Anyone else NOT able to use Nair, etc.???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiem31, Jun 11, 2003.

1. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I'm curious to find out if anyone else has highly sensitive skin like me. I've tried many things for hair removal over the years. Nair, Nads, Epilstop, etc. EVERY time, my legs break out in a terrible rash, AND the hair is still there!!! Talk about frustrating and painful! I can only shave, which is a pain in the rear...

Thanks, Debbie
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

Debbie many healthy people cannot use these products. They chemically eat the hair. Now anything that is strong enough to eat hair has a strong chance of causing severe irritation to the skin.
  3. Myth

Myth New Member

I also have highly sensitive skin. I have a borderline allergic like raction all the time and my skin is itchy and reactive to most things. Shaving causes problems. I have used a similar product and amazingly enough I have not had an adverse reaction to it, although I do to most soaps and make-up(go figure). I always test to make sure, like they recommend on the bottle, because you never know when your skin is going to decide it does not like something. I also only leave it on for the minimum amount of time and rinse very very well- that kind of strong chemical makes me parinoid that I will react. I would stay away from it if it causes problems, but you could always try other makes of this sort of thing. I use Sally Hansen with Vit. E and aloe. Plus there is that new mouse Nair stuff that looks better than the creams. Good luck with your quest! I agree shaving is a b**ch.
    Myth :)
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I know, it doesn't give as close a shave. But for the first 3 years I was sick ('til I moved to a rural area) that was the only way I could shave my legs.

If you want to consider it, think of getting one that you can use while plugged in. Mine has to be charged before I can use it, which is a drag becasue when it runs out of steam in the middle of shaving, I have to charge it before finishing!
  5. NiKki9

NiKki9 New Member

even though i am 15 i can relate i used nair on my bikini area its hurts soooooo bad getting it waxed lol but i was only suppose to leave nair on a certain
    amount of time accidently i kept in on maybe 4 more minutes, and when i took the nair off ..... there was nothing but blood dripping down my leg , i stopped using it and i stuck to shaving.
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I can't use this and am allergic to most anything such
    as shampoos,hairspray, etc. The smells are horrendous and I get itchy.

Lynn
  7. 2girls

2girls New Member

I think I have always had sensitive skin - this stuff literally burned holes in my skin and took months to heal.

Nasty stuff.

2girls
  8. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I am SO glad to hear I'm not the only one!! Not happy for you guys, though...

I do have an electric shaver. It's the blue Remington for women. I liked it. Then the blades started to dull. I had to buy a replacement that was an "upgrade" to the original, also by Remington. $30 and the new blades don't work worth crap!! I'm so mad! So now if I want a decent shave, I have to use the razor and shaving cream.

I've even tried the new "Intuition" by Schick. It's the razor with the conditioner thing surrounding the blade. You don't have to use shaving cream. I loved it! That is until I realized that the conditionor wears out after 1 and 1/2 uses! You have to change the blade when the lotion stuff disappears. And the new cartridges are $7.50 for 3!! Wow!!

Thanks ladies,

Debbie