Anyone else on Lyrica???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rainorshine, Jul 31, 2006.

1. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

I have been taking Lyrica for 2 months now.
    When I get out to do anything or try my housework I still have PAIN..etc. Headaches are nasty.
    Why am I taking this if it doesn't help when I need it most?

2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

rainorshine .. I just started about 2 weeks ago on Lyrica .. 150 mgs in morning and 150 mgs in evening .. I found it helped me sleep much deeper than I had been .. sleep was a terrible issue with me for such a long time .. it is supposed to help with pain but I am still on my extended Oxycontin 10 mgs x2 a day ..

I'm not sure if it will reach the pain yet .. I have been very stressed over the last few months so it is an uphill battle right now .. I think it takes some time for it to kick in.

What dosage are you on ? .. do you feel any better at all ? .. sleep issues ?
    Have you talked to your doctor about the headaches ?

Let me know how you are doing ?
    Joy
  3. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

i was prescibed actually have the script in my purse, when i triedb nthe samples it made me to drugged sleepy, sorry but i am already tired enough with out the help of a med
  4. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

I have been on Lyrica for 4 months now at a very low dose only 75 mg at night. It helps my sleep and I also take Trazadone to help with sleep but the Lyrica makes me so sleepy that I can't seem to take any during the day at all. I think it helps a little with the pain in my hands but everything else is awful. I am never without pain.

Thinking of starting an opioid type like Oxycodone or something else but doc is reluctant due to "addiction". I am going to give him the article from last year in the FibroAware magazine that explains how people with chronic pain are NOT the people abusing these drugs and do not get addicted when med is used correctly.

I am so sick of all my meds I feel like just dumping them in the trash! Hope it helps some people.
  5. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

Hi there Joy,
    I am on Lyrica 75mg 2x/day. Before I started on it I had severe pain all the time. My back felt like it was going to snap even while laying down. Now the pain comes back when I do anything but rest. So I guess thats a plus.

I never sleep at night without my trazodone.
    I do need a nap every day without fail though.

I need to see my Dr about the headaches and a few other
    things as well.

Thanks for being out there...
  6. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I took it until:

I fell asleep on the toilet in the middle of the night and my legs fell asleep - it took me several minutes to get back to bed once I woke up!

Two mornings later my husband was helping me get out of bed and I fell on the floor.

Enough,I gave it up even though it did help with the pain, numbness and tingling in my legs and feet at night.

Susan
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

and have been for 5 months now. It took about 1 month for all the side effects to go away but most of them did. I still have a small amount of blurry vision that rarely bothers me and can probably be fixed with glasses.

So far Lyrica has helped me with:

Sleep - sleep deeper and longer
    Spasms - have much less muscle spasms especially with stomach
    Pain - it has taken an edge off my pain, I still use pain meds for breakthrough pain.
    IBS - ever since starting my IBS symptoms have been greatly reduced

I have found this to be a good drug for me. It hasn't cured me but it does allow me to do a lot I couldn't before. I still have bad days where I can't get out of bed but I am having more good days since starting.

I am taking 100mg/3xday (300mg/day). I started with 50mgx3 then 75mgx3 and worked up to this. The highest prescribed dose for our type of pain is 600mg per day.

I know not every drug will work for everyone but if you can get past the initial side effects (they do go away) then it could be very helpful to you.

I have also noticed that some people claimed it did not work for them but then found thier doc wasn't giving them a correct does for thier pain level. This could be what's happening with you.

Talk to your doctor about it and maybe adjust your dose or see if your doctor wants you to continue it.

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hello again rainorshine (cute name !) .. I'm a rather drug resistant type .. the last ridiculous comment made by a doctor (pain conduction test).. was "how do you get up in the morning when taking 75 mgs of amitriptilyne .. he said most people are done in by 10 mgs .. DUH ! ..obviously he hasn't read THIS forum ! haha
    I also started out at 75 mgs of the Lyrica and moved up to 150 x 2 daily.

Now I am on 50 mgs of amitriptilyne because the Lyrica is making it easier to cut back on some meds. It does take time and fine tuning to get at the right dosage for each person .. sometimes we get discouraged and give up .. either from the side affects or we think it isn't working.

The headaches are a concern .. so yes you really should get back to your doctor .. we don't need any extra pain ! .. haha .. I envy you the nap in the afternoon .. can't seem to do that .. yet ?

I hope you can find answers that will help you feel better.
    Good Luck at the doctor !
    Joy : )

9. justharry

justharry New Member

hi there folks

i also am taking Lyrica tablets. presently I take
    100 x 2 tabs perday. I have some sort of neuropathy, still under investigation by hospital. i have burning sensation in both feet and lower legs, and it sort of takes the edge of it. Feeling gets worse when wearing shoes or slippers, having the feet encased in them. Have asked Gp for further painkillers, but having no luck so far.

Harry
  10. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

I have never heard of amitriptilyne or oxycodone.
    I do take hydrocodone for my Crohns/IBS pain. It doesn't help anywhere else.

Like NanaMama the Lyrica has helped with that kind of pain
    suprisingly enough.

I was just diagnosed with FM 2 mo/ago, but it seems I have had it since I was 18. I am now 32.........that's right.
    Alot of light bulbs going off as I look back.