Anyone else out there with Limpomas from FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spaz, Dec 18, 2002.

1. spaz

spaz New Member

Hello, I have several limpomas(fatty tumors).My doctor claims its from the FM.Does anyone else have this problem?
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have tons of tiny Lipomas all over the trunk of my body. I was not told it was related to the FMS. I was just told it was a common thing. One was biopsied to make sure it really was a Lipoma and it left an awful scar on my stomach, even though it was small. I know one other person who has a huge Lipoma on his back, and he does not have FMS.
    Were you told WHY this is related to your FMS? I would be interested in the answer to this. I got the Lipomas when I was put on medicine which caused me to gain a whole bunch of weight real fast, and I always assumed that the fat just had nowhere else to go! (Just kidding).
    Klutzo
  3. spaz

spaz New Member

Hello Klutzo,
    Thanks for the response, No the Doctor never said why their related.He is so vague about all of my questions.I too just assumed it was from all the weight gain.Also from meds.I'm 50 -60 Lbs over weight from anti depressants.I don't take them anymore because they all make me gain weight.I'd rather be in pain.My limpomas have been attaching to nerves so they have been causing alot of pain. They say Fm is not progressive,I say Bull! I get something new every year. Take Care, Spaz
  4. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

JUST HAD SURGERY(2 IN 6 MO) FOR FMS RELATED CAUSES. THEY REMOVED A LYMPH NODE AND HUGE SALIVA GLAND FROM MY NECK. WAS
    DIAGNOSED W/SJOGRENS (DRY MOUTH AND MUCUS MEMBRANES) HAVE HAD FMS/ETC. FOR A LONG TIME. I HAVE THEM ON MY RIBCAGE,
    WHICH ARE THE MOST PAINFUL. THE ORGANISMS THAT CREATE OUR PROBLEMS WEAR MANY FACES. WE HAVE SUCH A MULTI-SYMTOMATIC
    DESEASE, AND ITS FACE CHANGES BY THE DAY. NEW INFO BEING PUBLISHED EVERY DAY. FOR SO LONG WE HAVE HAD NO VOICE, BUT THE TIDES SEEM TO BE CHANGING. HANG IN THERE!!! 1MAQT
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Am I missing something here? Now this is something I don't have! Wow, thats a first for me around here.

Hope you ladies find out what is causing this.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

I to have them very very bad all over. Espically in my trunk I believe that is more scar tissue though from my c-section. I have them all over my ribs and alot behind my knees and on my thighs. I do not believe that they are only on overweight people as I am 112lbs.....
  7. jlouise

jlouise New Member

I have limpomas; I was told by 2 doctors it was fatty tissue. Not to worry unless they start to grow excessively. It makes since that they could be related to FM, isn't just about everything else?
  8. JP

JP New Member

I have more than my fair share of these troublesome tumors. Actually, they are fat lobules herniating through the overlying fascial layer due to deficiencies of the fibrous tissue. They also occur in predictable sites. I am aware of three basic types of adipose/fat herniations; pedunculated, nonpedunclulated and foraminal. They can be adipose tissue alone, and they can also have fibrous tissue or nerve tissue present. To date, I am unaware if the true cause has been identified. I have read theories, such as high levels of estrogen...my estrogen levels are quite normal...just checked. My 'gut' believes they are a result of injuries that caused harm to my fascia, allowing these herniations to push through and cause pain. I have had one the size of a grapefruit extracted. It really made a difference in my pain level at that time.

Take care and thanks for the topic...I have an interest...you might have guessed that...jan

9. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

Everyone I know with FM has those little lumps all over. They aren't fatty tumours or fat. I was told they are caused by the build up of lactic acid in the muscles caused by poor circulation. Ppl with FM have alot of odd shaped red blood cells that can't fit through the tiny capillaries therefore not enough oxygen gets to the muscles and waste material can't be removed from the muscles, therefore you have the buildup of lactic acid deposits. Everyone in my support grp here had their blood tested to check our RBC's. Sure enough, we all had weird shaped RBC's. Massage helps to dissolve them a little.
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Kid -If your lumps are on your forearms and are pea-sized, please ask your doctor to run a blood test called an RA Titer.

JP - my estogen level is in the bargain basement and I have lots of lipomas

JSea - lipomas are entirely different from the lactic acid lumps you are talking about that we all have. They don't feel or look the same at all. I'm glad you don't have lipomas.

Klutzo
  11. JP

JP New Member

I would need to go back and read up on the estrogen connection with these buggers.

For me, the only research that really caught my attention was regarding weaknesses of the fascia/adipose herniation, and this is only so due to personal experience and the numerous injuries to my back. Some of my lipomas are the size of a large orange over the sacroiliac region, which contributes to my disabling back pain. You can not see them and they can be found with direct palpation.

I have one in/on my left ribcage that causes great pain. It developed after a high impact auto accident after breaking some ribs on the steering wheel at impact. This one really needs to come out, it is growing in multiple directions, just have not done so as yet. I hate going to see a surgeon for these things cuz they look at you like you WANT to be cut...or it feels that way. I will probably return to the surgeon who took out the first one in 1986. He was clear after the extraction why it caused such trouble. Hope he is still around and on my insurance.

Take care all,
    Jan