Anyone else really gassy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Aug 27, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I've always been pretty gassy but lately it seems worse. I do have IBS and am under more stress than usual. Any ideas of supplements or something to take to cut this gas out?

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Hi MeowChowChow,

I have had that problem from IBS for years now. For a long time I kept myself house-bound from fear of never knowing what or when it would set off. I still don't but I have discovered Gas-X. Now, I never leave home without it. If taken at the first sense of something developed it stops it for me. It takes longer for any help if the episode is already up and running but it still will ease it up.

When I was in Florida for Hurr Dennis I ran out. One of the other volunteers gave me some Pepto Bismo capsles. They helped a lot, too, at least let me get through the day relatively comfortable.

Hope this helps.
  3. teacher

teacher New Member

Ginger root (take as directed on bottle), juice of one lemon daily in water.

Hope that helps.

Teacher
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2005]
  4. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I am always gassy and everyone around me is sick of it. I am sick of it as well. I have IBS, too. I know that bananas cause excess gas, but it is hard to figure out exactly what causes it unless I eat one food at a time until I get them all tested.
    I have got to get me some gasX, maybe that will help me.
    God bless and good luck
    BillieGail
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

I too am going to try the Gas-X. I have IBS-D and I'm all flared up right now due to some stressful situation in the house. My family is about sick of my Nightly Eruptions, I have got to the point I can no longer blame it on the dogs.

Why does this DD have to cause so much gas?

Michelle
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I was very gassy a month ago. I started a new diet..now that I've fine tuned it I'm much better. I sure don't miss it! Now to do something about my husband and the boxer. My boxer Rudy is so bad she leaves the room.lol
    Dee50
  7. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

what kind of diet did you start...share it with me please
    shirley
  8. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

a lot is caused by the probiotics, etc. I chew on fennel seed. You can find it in the spice section. Tastes like licorice
  9. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

store-brand of gasX. It's called Equate Gas Relief. Works just as well. I take 3 or 4 at a time...and Alka Seltzer..
    as well, sometimes.

What is with this DD anyway?

S.
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

I, too, carry GasX in my purse all the time. When I started eating vegetarian, I discovered Beano pills. The amount of veggies I was eating was making my GI tract unhappy and gassy, but eating two Beano pills at the start of the meal helps a lot.

Also, when I started adding whey powder to my morning shake, I started with 2 tablespoons. Too much to start with! After cutting back to 1 tablespoon, I had less gas problem from it.

I've not been diagnosed with IBS, but I wonder...

The Jarrow-dophilus probiotic has helped calm down my digestive system as well.

Peace,
    Beth.
  11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

But when it is very bad, I need to go into the bathroom as I am not sure what else will come when I expel it!!!!! Makes me so mad! Do take a pill for it when it is bad.
  12. lana33

lana33 New Member

I have taken probiotics with the multiple product. But for me the acidophyllus pills help.

They make my entire digestion better. I have IBS with constipation. I usually take 2 in AM before my morning meds and 2 at pm with my night meds.

I can't eat if I am upset or overly stressed cause my whole system is messed up.

Hugs,
    Lana
  13. allie42

allie42 Guest

Have the same problem, but have found acidophilus chewables to be the most help. I get them at the local health food store or online. If my system gets really out of balance, which it can from too much sugar or too much salt or too much fatty fried stuff, I get the acidophilus curd, which has to be refrigerated after it's opened. It looks (and tastes) just like curdled milk--I guess it's not quite as obnoxious, but it sure works!

I can also get messed up from too many allergy pills or too many pain killers.

Allie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2005]
  14. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Hi Shirley. I've started reading and using the diet for Type A (blood type) from Dr. Peter J. D'Admo. Tons of reading it is overwheming at times, so I got the Lists of ok foods book for $4.95 for Blood Type A. That made the new diet simple for me and I'm reading the big hard back books as I go. I just switched to vegtables on my own before I heard about this way of eating I heard about it on this site from a man that is healthy now. I had kicked out all cow stuff. No meat,no wheat, no canned or packaged foods. And I was on a colon cleaner too. I bloated up with my new diet I looked 8 months pregnut-oh so painful.(with the use of natural plant enzymes and probitic supplements not helping at first) My colon is my biggest problem it moves every slowwww.
    To make a long story short I'm doing great now days but it was about 20 very hard days. I have to use acupressure to help my colon move rubbing the spots 9 or more times a day. I'm on no prescribtion drugs but I am using several herbs to help Slippery Elm helped me alot.
    This new way of eating is lots of work at first and I don't understand all the whys to it but...I feel human again my pain level is low low and my brain fog is clearing. I also stared rebounding. 1 min. a day every other hour or so.
    I'm slowly getting my life back
    Take care
    Dee50
  15. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Charcoal tablets that you can buy at your local drugstore. This is the only thing I've found that acts within l/2 hour or less. They also give these to people in the hospital who have had operation.

You can't overdo them though as they will suck up everything including your vitamins but they are wonderful.
  16. sofy

sofy New Member

Many years ago I had so much gas I could have powered a small city. At least every 15 minutes all day and night I would have to relieve myself of excess gas and my stomach was so distended I look 8 months pregnant.

I visited a naturopath and she put me on an elimination diet and there was no doubt it was wheat and dairy that was the cause of my problems.

Since giving up the wheat and dairy, about 10 years ago, it has ceased to be a problem. I still had a bit of a tummy but when I discovered Primal Defense probiotics that made my tummy absolutely flat within a week so now at least thats one nagging problem that no longer exists.

edit: before discovering the cause I tried gas X and every other product I could get my hands on and none of them did anything at all. I was a social outcast. [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2005]
  17. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I would talk with your doctor and ask them what they think is best to take for you. I know my husband takes Gas X. He too has IBS and has taken it for years. It seems to really help him. I hope you can find something soon. I know for me I try to take all natural supplements when I can.

Trish :)
  18. Jodi_B

Jodi_B New Member

Oh, you betcha! And some foods make it worse. My family doesn't understand when I can put away a Mexican dinner with no after effects. But give me fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy and I'm miserable!!! It's the fatty foods that get me. But, hey, they're not good for me anyway, right!

IBS, too, but it can stay quiet for weeks. Stress really sets it off, though. A couple of years ago I cut down to working two days a week (consecutive days) and the evening of the second day I'd wear a path to the bathroom!