Anyone else see FLASHing light when sleeping??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morningsonshine, Nov 1, 2006.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

When i'm having trouble sleeping, but you get to that point of just about dropping off, i see bright light.

It's like someone's turned on the light swicth really quick, then back off, but my eyes are closed. It always jolts me back awake. Sometimes it a red light.

Anyone else experience this, or know what causes it??

Thanks,
    MorningSS
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yup, yup, yup, That was a complaint of mine for YEARs. Kept telling Drs I would see bright flashing light, over and over, especially when trying to fall asleep. WELL,,,years later, I made the connection between my illness and having lived NEXT TO A PESTICIDE COMPANY. Twenty years after living there, I became aware of a lawsuit brought by the New York State Attorney General for illegal pesticide dumping and burying. I had the names of 7 specific chemicals. EACH one explains every single symptom I (and everyone else here) have. There was one, it caused a chronic activation or stimulation to the occipital lobe. Bingo. Another bizarro symptom explained.

My best fix for that has been L-Tryptophan (an amino acid). I take 1500 mg. at night. Tryptophan MUST be taken with B-6 and taken AWAY from other protein sources. The Tryptophan will help with sleep, depression, if it's an issue, anxiety, food cravings. I recently added a product called Rest & Restore, the main ingredient is GABA. This acts as a calming neurotransmitter. There are other items in this product, but GABA is the main one.

I used to use Doxepin 125 mg. and that also helped a lot with sleep. But after learning about the damage all my drugs (about 14 of them) were doing my liver and kidneys, I made it my JOB to get off as many drugs as possible, and use nutritional supplements in their place. I still take Doxepin 10 mg. with my Tryptophan and Gaba supplements.

Hope something here can help you.
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

this is not something that happens to me all the time but when i get aura before a migraine i see lights when my eyes are closed. when i was younger i would get the vision without a headache hope this helps. charlene
  4. morningsonshine

Thank you for the information, you described the samething i'm experiencing.
    I haven't been exposed to pesticides, but i'm sure other things could cause this too.

I will look into the things you offered. I have been interested in the amino acids, but wasn't sure how safe they are??
    Of course, like most of us here, i do struggle with depression, and anxiety.
    For me everything get worst at PMS time.

Now that you know what you were exposed to as a kid, and have been doing things to take care of yourself, have you had any improvement in your quality of life??

Also want to thank Charlene for responding also, but what i'm experiencing isn't connected to migraines. Yikes, those are not fun, try magneisum.

MorningSS
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

My son describes light fluctuations as well, altho it can happen at any time for him, not just falling asleep. He has been dx'd with chronic Lyme according to CDC standards plus clinical picture.

Just a thought, since there are so many overlapping symptoms between CF/FM and Lyme ...

all the best,
    Victoria
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

The L-Tryptophan can be ordered from several sources online or vy Prescription, from a Compounding Pharmacy. If ordering online, be sure to get a high quality product. Brands I have used, and recommend, are: BIOS, Lidtke, Craig, and Nokomis own brand. A brand I DO NOT recommend is Dr's Best. It is crap in my book.

You mention you have problems with anxiety, especially premenstrually. This indicates a B-6 deficiency. L-Trypyophan must ALWAYS be taken with B-6, so converstion to Seratonin takes place in the brain and not the intestines. I am unable to convert B-6 to the active form, so I have to take the activated co-enzyme P5P. This may be true for you, or you may simply be deficient in some/all the B vitamins.

These should help a LOT if you have depression or anxiety.

The GABA is a bonus I was prescribed by the doc at FFC. I either buy their product Rest & Restore, or sometimes just buy the GABA at Vitamin World.

My only caution is if you are using another anti-depressant. Certain ones should not be used together.

Hope something here helps.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

What's wrong with Dr's Best L-tryptophan? The reason I'm asking is--that's the brand I purchased.
    Thanks Shirley
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have been using L-Tryptophan for about 5 years now, with wonderful results. Have used several brands, all with same results. I once decided to try the Dr's Best brand,, because it was sooooooo much cheaper. It did NOT perform like any other other brands I had used. It made my brain agitated, overactive, and confusing thoughts. (Maybe from extreme sleep loss.) But I have used enough Tryptophan brands, long enough, to know this was not up to par or typical.

Give it a try, if it helps, that's great, but if not, please don't think that another brand will be the same. That has not been my experience. It may very well work for you, but I cannot recommend it, based on my experience.

Source Naturals has just started marketing their brand of L-Tryptophan, also at rock bottom prices. Never tried it, not sure I will.

9. morningsonshine

for any others interested
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I didn't like what it done to me either (Dr's Best Brand)
    I only took it once and felt awful afterwards.Maybe I'll try another brand.
    Hugs Shirley
  11. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I have had this on and off with my illness...I haven't been able to connect when I get it to what I may be taking...

Lately I have been on Klonipin/Clonazapam .75mg at night, I was taking 5HTP last week, then backed off because of an allergic reaction...I haven't noticed any lately...maybe because of the Klonipin?

I know that Hailey had something posted about Klonipin and the brain...Since I've also had seizures, it helps for that also...and for GABA.

Suz

Stay warm : )
    [This Message was Edited on 11/05/2006]
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I see a flash of light at night (in bed) but only when I sneeze or cough. It freaked me out at first but now I am used to it.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2006]