Anyone else suffer from lightheadedness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onesmileymyley, Jan 10, 2004.

1. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

HI I have this problem from time to time and latly it has been pretty bad. I went to the doc. and she did the normal blood work and as always all was very perfect and I passed nurigical exam with flying colors. I am not dizzy feeling just feel as if I am going to pass out from time to time but I do not pass out. I was on paxil and she pulled me off because of high blood pressure, weight gain and this feeling of passing out. I did however have the lightheaded thing in the past. If you do have this have you found anything that helps it? Doc, say's their is nothing.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do get that lightheadness sometime when I wake up in the morning. I have to sit by on the bed for awhile untill my head clears before I get on my feet.

I had it once from taking St.John's Wort, it did not agree with me.

If I eat food with MSG, I also get that feeling.

You might want to check your meds, foods, and when you lay down and get up. Also a middle ear infection can cause this also.

Be careful, I fell down my stairs once from jumping out of the bed and trying to run down the stairs. I was fortunate, I just feel on my butt :)

Hope you find out what the cause is soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. lois1023

lois1023 New Member

I had the same thing back in the late 80's. My doc sent me to neuro. found nothing. Had eeg, cat scan, major blood work. Still nothing. Of course doc couldn't help me because they couldn't find the cause. Luckily our health ins changed and I had to change doctors. When I went in to see the new doctor she had already seen my records and asked me about it. She described how I felt exactly. She quietly walked behind me and gently laid her hand on the back of my neck and said "That's what I thought." She then drew me a picture and explained that in the back of the neck leading into the brain there is a bundle of blood vessels and nerves. When the muscles in the neck are tense and tighten up they compress this bundle so the brain is not getting all the oxygen it needs. She gave me muscle relaxers to use as needed and told me to use heat.
    This is not a dangerous condition and easily manageable.
    Put a rice pack or heating pad on the back of you neck and see if it helps. It gives me almost instant relief. Massage helps also.
    Good Luck I hope this helps.
    LOIS
  4. jrsinc

jrsinc New Member

Lois123's reply made sense. I notice lightheadedness most when I having a really badddd episode of brain fog (I'm foggy most days).:) When I feel this way, I tense up and can feel it in my neck.

Shirl's comment on MSG is a good one. This stuff is like poison to me. I can tell when I've eaten it (mainly processed foods). Usually the next day I feel depressed and woozy - I feel like I would just like to sit down and have a good cry. Others in my family are sensitive to it as well - we've labeled it the "China Syndrone".

5. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

Hi everyone,

Yes, I can relate to feelings of lightheadedness and slight dizziness. Mine comes and goes depending on how stressed I am. It almost feels like I need to eat something or like a miny earthquake is going on inside. It used to freak me out but now I just try to relax and wait it out. I can see how it would be related to tension...mine usually flares up when I am going full speed ahead and am upset about something. Sure feels good to know I'm not alonei
  6. pnutbutter

pnutbutter New Member

I have the lightheadedness a lot, and have gotten to the point where I can *almost ignore* it. It makes walking kind of hard, because it's almost like the floor is shifting, but makes stairs near impossible. I can walk pretty normally, and if you saw me on the street you'd probably not notice anything, but even a short staircase of 2 steps is enough to stop me dead in my tracks and make me reach for rails on both sides :)
  7. onesmileymyley

thank you for all the reply's. Shrrill I feel the same way that you do and it really sucks. Has anyone ever passed out? I have not yet as I am able to get to a bed or floor fast so that I don't. I do go see a chrio. so I will ask him if my neck feels ok...
  8. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Hi Lois- what you describe re the neck problems,,,and how to deal with them is very interesting...

I've had this lightheaded/disequilibrium feeling off and on for over 10 years, and was interested to find out how long you'd had these types of problems before you got the relief by treating the neck muscles?

I do have some stiffness in the neck ,but also soreness in the temples , and tension in my forehead too...it's a feeling like my head is under pressure somehow w/o the actual painful headaches that some folks get.Curious if you also had problems in those areas, and if a heating pad also helped there.

Guess i've always assumed that the cause of this had to be something much more complicated,,,,but your post makes me think that this could be a simpler solution/help....i'll give the hot pack a try and see if that helps get things unblocked...thx

JT
  9. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

10. onesmileymyley

just bumping....
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The lightheadedness has destroyed my life and most of the time, I'm a virtual prisoner in the house from it. There are so many days when I want to go out and I can't because I have to lie down. I can't make plans because of it. I get it frequently and never know when it's going to happen, although if I stand up for more than a few minutes, I often feel it kind of coming on. I've been to tons of doctors for it and they always tell me they can't help me :( So I'm just stuck with it and it just ruins my life.
  12. acuario

acuario New Member

Hi Lois. Its very iteresting what you say about chronic lightheaded and neck problems, it make a lot of sence. I have chronic lightheadedness, ringing in the ears, bad balance, short term memory loss for more than 5 years and I have a lot of problems with my neck and back.
    please tell me what kind of muscle relaxant helped you. for how long? did it cure compleatly your lightheaded, any more symptoms have gone? thank you so much.
    Acuario
  13. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Yeah I do have lightheadedness problem. No one has ever found out why. And... I pretty much used to have lightheadness in the morning and mainly when I'm little tired or little hungry. When I don't feel good, I get lightheadness... but what is the strange thing about this, is that sometimes I had one of those day that I felt so lighheadness and I had difficult time to walk due to very weak in leg and feeling like losing my balance. One time two years ago, I woke up feeling fine but, then I feel all weird... That is when I got up and I totally lost my balance and was very dizzy.I kept fell, and I used stairs and the wall to support my balance. It was really scary buti never had it again. Even thought I do suffer vergito when I was younger like teen. But they went away as I get older (I'm 23 and is still young, mind you. :) ) but I still has those mysteries symptoms... I also took tilt test to reveal and I do passed out on this test even though I had never passed out. And... The MRI reveal that I do have two small lesions in white matter but not enough eveidence for MS.

I do believe that the stress played a role to trigger the dizzy. Many times when I was stress out or when I had those anxiety, I became lightheadness. Yesterday, my three years old daughter deicded to took off in store, which not usually happened. I could not find her, i was frantic! I ran and got my step mom to help me find her, after spend 10 minutes to look around, we finally found her, I was so lightheadness, that is when the symptoms start to kick in little bit... It was the most scary thing that happened to me...

SOrry if this is long.. And I just want to say the dr still NOT found what wrong, and i wish they have some kinds of short of tests to see why we having lightheadness... My Card. dr want me to take the vergito test cuz of my suffering tinnutis and lightheadness... But, the insurance would not pay it, and it costs like 600 dollars. I could not afford it.

Take care!