Anyone else take a probiotic supplement?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, May 6, 2011.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

I just started taking one this very day, as part of the medical treatment plan I am following that I have posted about here. As part of the programme am already taking Evening Primrose Oil, Ginkgo Biloba and L-Glutamine. I am several weeks in and so far no great improvement in energy but then I have also not been sleeping. I certainly dont feel WORSE!

Back to the probiotic, I am taking the smaller dose at moment as advised in Beating Chronic Fatigue by Dr K Downing-Orr. It says that it will probably make me feel worse before it makes me feel better, but that is part of the healing process. Be interested to here other peoples experiences of taking probiotics...

Thanks, Shaz
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The PBS special, most of us aren't taking nearly enough nor nearly enough different strains. I take two different types in order to get a wide spectrum of good bacteria. If you get a chance to watch this program, I highly recommend it.

Love, Mikie
  3. quanked

quanked Member

what is considered to be a very high dose? I take 66 billion organisms per veggie cap.

4. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Acidophilus chewable tablets claim to have 1 billion active cultures per tablet. I am taking the lowest dose at the moment (one a day) and plan to increase gradually as advised in book. I have to say that I have had no noticable adverse side effects so far.

Jamin - I wonder if it is safe to take a REALLY LARGE dose, as that poster you mentioned did? I suppose it may depend on the person. I have a feeling that candida is probably not a huge issue for me, although I do have mild IBS.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The more strains, which begin with the letters B or L, the better. It should also include FOS. The cheap probiotics are better than nothing but higher doses of good, wide spectrum, probiotics are what is required to have a healthy gut and immune system.

As I mentioned above, catch the excellent program on PBS concerning this.

Love, Mikie
  6. sascha

sascha Member

i'm taking a mega probiotic called Ultimate Flora Critical Care that has 50 billion active cultures per capsule - 10 strains- it recommends taking one capsule a day.

i've had IBS problems, which are so miserable. some time back i was diagnosed with candida, but i have come back from that i think.

my innards work SOOO much better it seems when i keep on this probiotic, avoid wheat, sugar- should of course keep off simple gluten-free carbs as well- i do fine with this for stretches of time, then fall off the wagon, but i do keep off gluten. seems to help keep me out of trouble with my gut. sascha

7. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

If only I could catch the program on PBS - alas I am in the UK! Sounds like it was a helpful show, though...

I don't consider my probiotics to be that cheap at just under £10 sterling, but afraid I can't convert that to dollars. Thank goodness I have some money these days, eh?!

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry you can't see the program. It's done by a nurse practitioner with a degree in nutrition. In her practice, she has seen amazing things happen to patients when they take big doses of the PB's with ten different strains. I have had to find two different brands to get a lot of different strains of bacteria. I probably should not have said, "cheap." There are some good, and expensive, PB's out there but many lack the wide spectrum of bacteria and FOS.

In a nutshell, this woman says that most of us have very sick guts. This problem goes beyond gut problems because immunity begins in the gut. Lousy gut=lousy immunity. I know that I feel better when I take my PB's. With the Sjogren's, I also have to take digestive enzymes. With my diverticula, I have to have fibre as well so I eat 1/3 cup of Kellogg's All Bran Buds every day. This has made a big difference as well.

Love, Mikie