Anyone Else Taking "Provigil"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnG, Dec 2, 2002.

1. AnnG

AnnG New Member

My Doctor recently prescribed provigil for my extreme fatigue. It is a medicine for narcolepsy (sleeping disease). The difference in my energy level is nothing short of miraculous! Plus, I have no side effects! I was worried about more palpitations or insomnia, but no! My Doctor thinks he is the only one prescribing this for FM and so I was wondering if anyone else is using it.

Ann
  2. AnnG

AnnG New Member

My Doctor recently prescribed provigil for my extreme fatigue. It is a medicine for narcolepsy (sleeping disease). The difference in my energy level is nothing short of miraculous! Plus, I have no side effects! I was worried about more palpitations or insomnia, but no! My Doctor thinks he is the only one prescribing this for FM and so I was wondering if anyone else is using it.

Ann
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

My doc rx'd it for my CFS, but my insurance company will not pay for it. They will only cover it for Narcolepsy and the fatigue in MS. Until there is a published study that shows that Provigil helps with the fatigue of
    CFS I'm out of luck.

I'm constantly trying new things though and am beginning to notice some relief from my B-12 injections.

Barbara
  4. kaths

kaths New Member

I took Provigil for two weeks in August. Until then, I only experienced severe fatigue from about 2 to 8 p.m. On the Provigil, I woke up exhausted and felt that way until I went to sleep that night. Three months later, I'm still not back to where I was. I never know if I'm going to feel decent in the morning, which is unfortunate since I scheduled the two college classes I teach for 8 a.m. to noon two days a week. Ann, I'm glad it worked for you. I had such high hopes for the Provigil, but then I had hoped the Botox injection would help my migraines. It didn't, but my forehead looked great for three months!

Kathy
  5. epicurean

epicurean New Member

has made such a difference in how I feel.Before taking it I din't have enough energy to take a shower.I have been on it for a few months for FM,and gratefull that my insurance pays for it!!
    Glad to hear it's made you feel so much better.
  6. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

My doc prescribed provigil for me several months ago. It has helped me alot with my fatige. My doctor has several patients that do very well on it. If you do a search on Provigil, there have been other postings on this in the past. Also, if you do a search in the Library on this site, you should find an article that was written to doctors that suggests using Provigil for these illnesses. A doctor should be able to fight an insurance company that won't pay if he has information that it does work on CFS/FM patients.

Best of luck to all...

Diana :)
  7. xo4damama

xo4damama Member

While
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

When I was first denied coverage by my insurance company I looked in the library for an article on Provigil. There were none. I have looked again, just now, and there are still none.

My doc searched through all his online medical sources and couldn't find anything, even though he remembers a report being given at the 2001 CFIDS conference in Seattle about it. He figures the results must not have been published for some reason.

If anyone can find an article showing that Provigil has been shown to be effective for CFIDS, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Barbara
  9. sookie

sookie New Member

I started taking provigil about three months ago and it made a big difference in my energy level.Usually by early afternoon I could barely focus my attention and felt like I was really dragging,but now I stay more alert and have more energy to get through the day.I'm here in mass. and I know my doctor has asked other patients to try it to see how it works for them. Sookie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
  10. dianep

dianep New Member

I have been on ritalin for 2 years and dextroamphetamine for two years and now provigil and i think I'm getting the most help from the provigil then the other two...been on the provigil for almost 5 months now..hopefully it keeps on working
  11. karen55

karen55 New Member

about 3 weeks ago, but like Teach6, my insurance will only cover it for narcolepsy or MS. The cost without insurance would be $192 for a month's supply and I don't have that kind of money. My doc had given me a few samples, and I definitely had more energy, but with the MVP, I did notice some irregular heartbeats/problems at night, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to be on it anyway. I will make do without it.
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

Did'nt like how edgy I felt~ but my mom who also has FM-Loves it!!She said without it,she can barely funtion.
    So try it.....see how it makes you feel.We are all so different.Good luck,
    Tracey
  13. pearls

pearls New Member

I take Provigil for fibrofog. It helps me think clearer. I especially use it during the week when I teach. It can be embarrassing to be in front of my class and not know how to do the things I teach!
  14. sofy

sofy New Member

Tried real hard to take provigil but could never get past the headaches from hell. They were worse than the migrains I use to have that lasted 4 days. Lucky you.
  15. lucky

lucky New Member

and switch from Ritalin to Provogil. If the Provogil does the trick, then I do not need the Ritalin I hope. I will take anything that improves the fatigue and as I read, most of you are doing really well on it.
    Well, it is worth a try and I will see that the doctor prescribes it on my next visit.
    Kind regards, Lucky
  16. harmony58

harmony58 New Member

My doc nows has me on both provigil and wellbutrin. As I told him, now I'm a walking and talking corpse. Couldn't take the provigil twice a day as precribed. The noon dosage kept me jittery and up until the wee hours and heaven knows I need all the sleep I can get. So I take it just once in the morning with the Wellbutrin. Sometimes I'm afraid to think what I might be willing to try just to get my real life back. LOL

harmony
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2002]
  17. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi-

I heard Provigil causes the brain cells to "fire" faster, and that over time, they will "burn out" and "fry".
    But I can't remember where I read that.

Paul
  18. lucky

lucky New Member

is one doctor's opinion. I was asking my doctor what he thinks about it, and he said to me 'where did you read this'?. Now, there is another opinion. But, since he is treating me for all my symptoms and knows me for 16 yrs. who should I believe?
    I have learned not to get carried away anymore with stories which with my own research and experience make sometimes very little sense. This I call stress reduction because we all suffer from certain anxieties and I am not adding more to mine either which does not mean that I am not open to new and valuable suggestions.
    Regards, Lucky
  19. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I was recently given samples of providgil for my exhaustion & fatigue. Although I am able to get up, shower and...whoa...even make it to the store the other day (huge accomplishment!)

I am finding it's flaring the fibro...my arms are burning like they haven't in a long time. I'm wondering if the stimulant theory is why the FM is getting worse....it's the same reaction I have to alcohol, nicotine, staying up too late and too much sugar. I'm absolutely sure this is what's flared up my muscles......hmmmmm..maybe, ...it's because I have more energy and am doing more?? Not sure.

BTW: I do have a very good new theory, and I want to make a new thread for it. Please look for it and let me know what you think!!

Susan B.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney isn't just "another doctor." He is one of the foremost experts in CFIDS in the country. He has dedicated his life to treating and advocating for CFIDS since he was involved in the famous cluster outbreak in Incline Village, NV in the mid-80's. He has gone to bat for us against the CDC and the NIH at the risk of his professional reputation.

His article on Klonopin is a sister article to the one on SSRI's and stimulants. It does a very good job of explaining why we can't sleep, have sensory overload, RSL, and anxiety.

I know the desperation which comes from fighting fatigue so profound that one is bedridden; I've been there. The problem is that stimulants may solve problems in the short term but cause profound brain damage in the long run.

I took Dr. Cheney's advice and started the Klonopin. It has enabled me to sleep a full 8 hours without waking and arising refreshed and ready to go. It takes several weeks to get used to. The fatigue does not diminish overnight as it took a long time to get to the point of total exhaustion, but in time, the quality sleep begins to provide benefits. During the day, 1/4 tablets of Klonopin under the tongue greatly diminish anxiety, panic, and sensory overload. It also greatly has diminished my tinnitus. It is a God send for people with RLS.

I believe it is better to address the slight seizure state in the brain rather than covering it up with stimulants. That is like advancing the idle speed of an engine which is misfiring. It will eventually destroy not only the engine but also the transmission of the car.

Klonopin isn't a fast fix, but I believe in the long haul, it is the better road to take. Neurontin is another alternative and the ZMA is an excellent way to address sleep deprivation. Our bodies repair themselves during sleep. I believe if we can address the sleep problems, a lot of our other problems will diminish, including pain.

Love, Mikie