Anyone Else Think They Acquired CFS Through A Blood Transfusion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petemora, Nov 4, 2009.

1. petemora

petemora Member

I received 2 units of blood in 1995, prior to a hysterectomy. After that, I never slept well again. I got terrible fatigue, etc. in 1998, and was diagnosed with CFS in 1999. I was able to keep working until 2005 and have been pretty much housebound since then.

Anyone else think they acquired CFS through a blood transfusion? If so, please answer these questions:

1. When did you receive a blood transfusion?

2. When did you become sick?

3. When were you diagnosed with CFS?

4. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being dead), how do you feel now? I'm at about 8.75, getting up there...
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2009]
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Gee, this sounds like me. I received 2 units of blood in 1994 prior to a hysterectomy. I didn't try HRT at first wanted to see what my body would do. Began feeling so bad, fatigue lots of anxiety, never had a hot flash. With the help of my doc and a good pharm. I finally agreed to HRT. ( the natural patch). along with xanax.

After about three months I began feeling like my old self even my friends noticed a difference, was able to work a full and a prn job, able to travel, take my grandchildren , do my housework, yard work . Looking back I was so called normal. Oh, for that life again that I took so for granted.

Then in 2000 I awoke with a vertigo attack and have never been the same. It was like going from heaven to hell. Spent 2 yrs trying to get a Dx. thought I was dying. Then in 2005 I seemed to improve and was getting out some but the past 2 years it has all been down hill.

Guess on the scale I am at least an 8 or more. Have tried many things nothing seems to work so stay home , cry a lot and wonder what happened to me, is this it . At my age guess it is.

I insisted on a HIV , Hepatitis, test but both were negative , my EBV was of course positive.

To this day not sure if the transfusion had anything to do with it or what is going on. I did go off the HRT , then back on , then off as it didn't help this time. I did go off the xanax but have been back on them since CFS.

Would you mind sharing some of your symptoms, treatments or just anything.

God Bless,

3. street129

street129 New Member

i believe that i got cfs, from very, very poor eating.....i never /barely hardly ate vegetables and fruits, i hate both of them. my immune system was so low that one day at work i became weak from what i picked up, i had flu like symptom, that would not go away, and that's the beginning of my cfs.
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I didn't receive blood, but I was in the hospital when I became ill with all these CFS/FM symptoms. I was in for about three weeks for an unrelated medical problem, did not have surgery but received injections for stomach problems and bowel problems.

I was in a hospital that relied more on alternative therapies and went on long walks in deer populated woods. I still don't know if I may have Lyme as well, but there is a strong possibility that I do. I had several huge, red, round insect bites on me from the first week I was there. They were about the size of a quarter and then grew larger..

I have become increasing ill ever since, am now homebound 95% of the time. I felt like I had the worst case of flu ever for the first few months. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2009]
  5. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

I wonder if getting IVIG transfusion, or ivig im in the 80's, and 90's would be a conversation... for parvo, h6, mycos, ??? they were doing IVIG IV in the 80's, 90's for yeast conditions... infusion places made a mint... all closed up... most people who ran them are retired ( I mean retired... retired... nuff said ) and were dragged through the court system with Medicare, Atty Gen. from states of Ins coo.'s lets see if I get any turbulence for this one... we speak the truth.. an entire decade plus of Gamma supply could have concerns with all the little " sideshow " virals, and infections we all have... hmmmmmmm...