Anyone else trying Relaxin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Feb 25, 2003.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I have just started using Relaxin in hopes it could help free up my head/neck/shoulder spasms due to constant sinusitus headaches, and maybe even allow the sinuses to drain

...seems like it might be working!...

or I'm just in another occasional period of remittance.

I'm thinking my muscle spasms are more myofascial /trigger point in nature, since I have points all over the area that refer pain, but this sounded like something that could really be helpful. It's also mentioned in Dr. Starlanyl's book about FM and myosfascial pain. I've also just started myofascial release therapy (only 2 session so far), with great hope.

For those who haven't heard about it:
    "Relaxin is a type of hormone that occurs naturally in humans and other animals. It consists of 56-amino acids in a polypeptide chain, related to insulin. Its presence was first established in the 1930s. In that study, doctors found that it helped relax the pubic ligament during pregnancy.1 In the ensuing decades, doctors refined their understanding of the hormone, but maintained the focus on its role in pregnancy.
    Although relaxin has been known as the "third pregnancy hormone," it's found in men as well. And while its amazing effects on the body during pregnancy have continued to receive the most attention, researchers have begun to examine its effects on other bodily functions--with significant results.

Creates flexible, elastic connective tissues
    Relaxin's effects during pregnancy are far-reaching and offer a preview of its powerful possibilities. It causes the cervix to "ripen," promotes the widening of the pelvis, thickens the endometrium, and develops blood vessels in the uterus. It softens the tissues of the birth canal and promotes cell proliferation, which helps the cervix and uterus to grow. It also allows ligaments and other connective tissues to relax and elongate.2 This is necessary to accommodate a growing baby in the body.
    By affecting collagen production and stimulating skin growth, relaxin effectively transforms the female body during pregnancy. Now researchers are beginning to understand the hormone's other responsibilities in the body--in both women and men.

Powers beyond pregnancy:
    Dr. Samuel Yue at the Minnesota Pain Center in St. Paul was among the first to recognize the significance of relaxin's powers beyond pregnancy. Through his work with fibromyalgia patients, he made an important observation. He noted that his female FMS patients reported relief from their symptoms during pregnancy, as well as fewer symptoms before and during menstruation and during menopause.
    During pregnancy, relaxin concentrations increase from normal levels (below 200 picograms per ml of blood) to over 800 picograms. Before and during menstruation, and during menopause, its levels fall below normal levels. Dr. Yue made the connection between the relaxin levels during these time periods and the relief of FMS symptoms.
    After further research, Dr. Yue began to treat some of his FMS patients with relaxin derived from pigs, which has a composition very similar to the human hormone. The results were significant. Many of his patients experienced relief from the chronic pain of FMS for the first time. Some felt results immediately, while others took seven to 10 weeks or longer.
    Until now, doctors had only been able to mask the symptoms of fibromyalgia and had no clear understanding of the causes of the disease. Now Dr. Yue's research offers a clear indication that FMS may be caused by a relaxin deficiency, or the body's inability to utilize the hormone properly. "
  2. fuzzy14

fuzzy14 New Member

You may want to try guaifenesin it gets the juices flowing . u can buy it otc now 200mg orless .Start with 200 then increase by 200mg. a week up 800 if needed. after a mo. I stop for a week then start the cycle over seems to help. U can get it thur a Doc. also R/x
    About the Relaxin is it OTC. or R/x
    u can ans. here I'll ck back

THANKS FUZZY
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks - did you have sinus problems that the guai helped? Is the guai available at health food stores or on the web (or both)?

The Relaxin is available otc, on the web - can't remember if I bought it thru this site or where.
  4. fuzzy14

fuzzy14 New Member

yes I do take it every day for the last 5yr's I follow a regiment
    Start first wk. 200
    2nd. double that 400mg.
    3th. 600mg.
    4th 800mg.
    then I stop for 4or 5 days;
    then start over same cycle.

You can only get it in a drug store or from your Dr. R/x.
    It is real good for stuffie head an also to clean your system out Blood & kidney's u may go through a HERX. reaction for a day or two while it's cleaning your sys. out. But u will feel a whole better in week.

For a woman it may be a good ideal to stop a day or so before your period is due then start back the last day

LET ME KNOW HOW U MAKE OUT.

FUZZY
    P.S YOU WILL NOTICE WHEN U PEE IT STINK LIKE SH*T IT'S WORKING
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I'll let you know...I'm going to give the Relaxin and the myofascial treatments about 6 weeks to see if there's relief...then will add the guai if necessary. Don't want to confuse the picture as I really want to know what works vs what doesn't.

Had my 4th myofascial treatment today, where my head and neck were specifically worked on, and I've had a lot of drainage during and since and reduction of pain :)) !

Victoria
  6. Jude

Jude New Member

Are you using guaifenesin to help with a sinus problem? Guai is used by some people as a method of reversing FMS. There is a specific protocol described in Dr. St. Amand's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". In addition to explaining the protocol the book also is very informative about FMS.
  7. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Victoria,
    For sinusitis headaches and congestion, the best thing to take is Alpha SH (Sinus Headache). You can buy it at any large health food store in the homeopathic area. It's made by Boericke and Tafel and very effective medicine.

I've tried Relaxin for my FM but after five days of constant dizziness I had to stop it. I wish I could have continued to take it as it sounds very promising for fibromyalgia and Dr. Yue's research is really amazing.

Love, Jasmine
  8. fuzzy14

fuzzy14 New Member

I take it for sinuis mainly but hope it clear's my system also. I think it helps. ST.AMAN SAYS no phos". You have to have phos. to be able to absober calcium.

GOOD LUCK FUZZY

P.S. I think it is a good idea to start med's one at a time.
    let me know how the facial's work out I may try those.[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2003]
  9. fuzzy14

fuzzy14 New Member

Well I see they posted today that guia. is available at this site.
    havn't checked the prices it use to be exspensive. If u have drug coverage u may want to get it thur. your Doc.

FUZZY
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

Jasmine: Thanks. I looked for the Alpha SH, but they didn't have that specific one, would have to order it. I don't know why, but I've never had much luck myself with homeopathic products.

Fuzzy: Don't know how this compares to RX prices, but this is what this site says:
    Guaifenesin 600™ * Quantity: 100 tablets
    FDA approved time release guaifenesin tablets
    Product #:   PH176 Sugg. Retail: $30.00
    Our Price:    $30.00 DSP Price: $28.50

I do have to say, the relaxin and the last myofascial treatment seems to have had lasting effects -- or I'm just in a lull ... time will tell!

Thanks, Victoria