Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fisher1949, Apr 4, 2008.

1. fisher1949

fisher1949 New Member

Just got all my test results back; have arthritis in my neck causing pain down left shoulder to and including hand, cholesterol is higher than usual, vitamin D is LOWWWWW.

I am supposed to start vit D 50,000 units once a week for 8 weeks and then get retested.

Also Tsh was high so they are screwing around with my Synthroig again. Every time they do that they always end up putting me back on my 125.

Anyone else with fibro have low vit d count??
  2. Sonny1

Sonny1 New Member

what was your d level ?
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

That's according to Dr Charles Lapp as well as the feedback on this board.

See the transcript of Lapp's recent conversation with Prohealth for info on that.

I believe the Rx Vit D is Vit D2 which is not absorbed as well as over the counter Vit D3.

I was using the Rx. Titers did not move. Switched back to the OTC stuff.. Waiting on new test to see if titers have moved up.

4. fisher1949

fisher1949 New Member

They didn't tell me what my level was; dummy me forgot to ask. I have had so much on mind lately, my husband goes in hospital Tuesday to have a defib implanted. He had 5 bypass surgery last Jan (07) which did not improve his heart as much as they would have liked.

I have been putting my ailments sort of on the back burner but now everything seems to be coming back too high or way too low; and now they are changing my meds around and adding new ones and I usually end up gettting side effects from one thing or another.

I hate this.
  5. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Don't know and won't as long as current quack keeps refusing to order labs for D Test. All he says at each appt when I ask for the order is "I don't know if they do that."

Oh shriek.

6. gongee

gongee New Member

I was tested months ago and was on the low end of the scale (34) for Vitamin D. Doctor just said to take OTC 400IU a day. Changed docs and told her about this and she has put me on prescription Vitamin D 50,000 iu a week for 8 weeks. Then I will be retested. Since my last test was months ago, I am very concerned about starting this not knowing where my level is now. My son is a doctor and I asked him about this and he said she probably didn't think much had changed on the low dose OTC, plus I have had surgery in the past couple of months leaving me not to be able to eat well. He said to take it as it is very rare to to have side effects or over do it. We will see. Starting in the morning. Good luck to eveyone. Sheila
  7. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I went out in the sum more. I was spending way too much time in bed.
  8. believeme31

believeme31 New Member

Mine was low too... so 50,000 units of Vitamin D once a week for 12 weeks. I am on my 10th week. I have Fibro and CFS... the muscle pain is alot better, but don't know if is due to the Vit D or some other changes in my meds.
  9. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Mine was 17 back in the fall but haven't had it tested lately.. I do try to take it every day .. the 600 mg with calcium.. my one dr said the 50,0000 but I heard it can give you headaches and constipate you. Anyone have that problem?
    Right now I am in alot of pain in my neck and shoulders and having neuralgia ( guess you call it) going on wth my arms and one leg. I have to call the Drs tomorrow and get checked out.. (feels kinda like prickly and tingle sensations) it comes and goes..
    So far the Vit D isnt helping any.. guess it just takes time.. Im trying to remember to take it every day.. with that and the regular vitamins.. hopefully Im getting enough..

ALEESLP New Member

My results were 15.9 and I have been taking a recommended supplement by my CFS doctor of 1000 units per day. I see that many people are taking much more. She said that she will recheck my levels at my next visit in September.

11. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Which one do you take? if you dont mind me asking.. Thanks hon..
    Will try posting this seperately too so in case you dont get back on to this topic. Thanks
  12. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

My doc had me start taking only 1000 units a day. Maybe I should be taking more.
  13. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I'm going to ask for a test next week. I've been taking D3 for a few months now. I took 1,000 iu at first, and bumped to 2,000 a month ago. Since I've taken tegretol for so many years, I wouldn't be surprised to still see it low.

I've also stopped wearing sunscreen except when I'll be outside a long time. That's never in the summer - I can't take the heat! When our daytime temps get back to 80 or so I might even do some sunbathing.

Oh, my D3 benefits. It's lowered my blood pressure a bit, and really improved my complexion. It would be wonderful if more would help with muscle aches and stiffness. Myofascial therapy helped that the most, but once I improved quite a bit I stopped going. I'd love to go once or twice a month forever, but at $120/session I can't afford it right now. I might start looking for a less expensive practioner.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2008]
  14. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

well it was was 17. I dont know what it is now.
  15. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

With all the talk about vitiman D , I too asked questions about it. I found out that no Matter how much Sun you are in if you have sunscreen on your body can't produce vit. D. In the past 10-15 yrs more and more people have found out that they are lacking in vitiman D. We have been so worried about skin cancer so we slather on the sun screen we are protected from the UVB rays but we are also stopping our body from making Vit.D.

This is a HUGE topic as I listened to the news the other night I found out that at least 80 % of the USA have a vitiman D deficenty. The doctor that was talking said that our bodies don't make Vitiman D because of the use of sunscreen. Our bodies need vitiman D in every cell of our body.

HE went on to say that in the past 50 yrs more people show signs of lacking vitiman D, we changed our lifestyles. I know that when my Mom was young and lived on a farm in southern alberta she was out doing farm work in a halter top and shorts and NOcunscreen. She now has skin cancer on her face thankfully they have not been the nasty kind. Back in the then sun screen was not around to use and being out in the sun was normal and good for us.
    Now we are having to take pills for the vitimans and minerals that we are lacking in.

There is no way we can eat enough greens veggies to increase our vitiman D levels and being out in the sun is bad for the skin so our bodies can't make it, so we are left with pills ,
    So keep on taking the vitiman D pills so your body will work better and you will feel better .
    I just started taking Vitiman D my self and don't know if there is a brand that is best one to take or what type of vitiamn D to take D2 or D3. Still questions.
    Sorry so long.
  16. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I don't even remember seeing them in any store that I go to.. Do you order them online or where do you get them?
    Thanks in advance!
  17. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I think this is common for all chronic illness.

Mine was 18.

Taking Swanson's Vit D3 but have not yet been retested.