Anyone else with Fibro also getting Arthitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by will122, Aug 28, 2006.

1. will122

will122 New Member

My first time here. I was diagnoised with fibromyalgia last year and have been getting worse. One of my new consern is the arthitis in my feet and hands is starting to hurt and burn more and more. Is this a common thing? I am a 43 year old male looking for answers. Sleep is also getting much worse, I'm taking 200mg trazodone with a muscle relaxer at bedtime. Also, hesitantly just started taking Cymbala.
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I noticed that despite all the fluids I drink I am somehow dehydrated (I've read Dr. Cheney's research on this too). It affects my joint fluid which in turn makes my joints sqeeky, achy, locks up and very stiff. It have gotten worse with time, and it is- of course- much worse in the fall, winter and spring when the waether pressure changes and humidity hits.

Maybe it's worth reading up on? Joint fluid (or lack thereof)and it's effects on joints and bones.

They say SSRI's help pain. For some it does, for others it doesn't. It never did for me, and the side effects were not worth it.

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  3. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

I've been diagnosed by six doctors with fm and nothing else. The last one i went to found that i am developing ra. So yep now i got that to. I can't take alot of the meds they give you for arthritis so i can only go herbal. I do have a hottub in my tv room that i use once, sometimes twice, a day.

Angell
  4. pmesser

pmesser New Member

To my dismay, after 17 years with CFS and Fibro (69 year old male), I have now developed OsteoArthritis esp in right hip, rt.knee and to some extent in the lower back and other joints. I am doing a variety of things to combat both FM and OA: re-upped my intake of powdered shark cartilege in capsule form, modest amount of light swimmning 3x a week, stretching exercise 2x a day and work with an Osteopath doctor (takes Medicare and other insurance) 2x a month for two months now. Doing much better. But winter months will really tell the story.

An excellent Naturopath has been treating my CFS/FM for four years. He started me on Shark powder at the beginning and I have enjoyed much less pain and stiffness until two things happened: 1) I got off nightly use of Klonopin .150mg last year after 8 years, using strictly for sleep and it worked best , until 8th year, so I am trying other drugs and herbs,
    and so far, nothing compares to best years of Klonopin, so I may return to it, as I think it also helped keep fibro down.
    2)OsteoArithis showed up.

If interested, I can suggest a general volume of
    shark to take. It can be purchased online (New Zealand sources best quality) for moderate monthly cost, or bought at some health food store. Also suggest picking up literature on Shark powder ....avail. most health food stores.

I too try to keep the volume of RX drugs to a minimim, esp. pain killers. I often have bad side effects to much medecation. To the extent I can afford, I take liquid herbal
    extracts....with excellent results for overall health, energy, reduced anxiety, etc. Sleep herbs help, but I have concluded, esp after reading DR. Peterson's interview article on Klonopin, I need a really powerful drug to put me to sleep. Good rehm sleep also reduces FM

Good luck to all. It takes vigilance to find our best solutions, and this message board is fantastic.

Cheers, Paul
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Yes at 43 I have had Fibro for two going on three years and then I got bursitus in both of my hips. That is a form of arthritis from what I have read up on. I also have a herniated lower back disc. I believe I also have arthritis in my knees and my fingers and wrists. Next doctors appointment I will be getting a blood test done for that. I won't even list all the meds I'm on cause I just don't have it in me tonight to list them all but let me tell you when they took away my celebrex that is when I really felt the pain. Thank god they gave it back to me........SueF
  6. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Have tested positive for r a factor test. This is only slightly elevated, BUt never was before I was checked before.

I know test results can change as you get more sick .Or even On any given day If you feel worse your test results may show that too.

I too can predict the weather. IT is a different kind of pain.It burns and feels like your hips are locking up.I hear cracks all the time in my joints. I also have some lumps on both of my thumbs AT the base. Ruthie
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

My mother and I both have FMS and osteoarthritis. She also has sero negative RA. So far, no RA for me, thank heaven.

You might want to check into supplements, especially calcium and magnesium to help you sleep. If you search by content on this board (in the boxes on top of the page) there will be lots to read.

Welcome aboard!

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

since childhood, and the docs even saw bone pitting on x-rays for m when I was eighteen. I was not diagnosed with FM until age 30. So....who knows? Chicken and the egg??
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

just found out I have it in my knees
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Will,
    I had never maade the connection before, but my Arthritis has changed. I've had Osteo for many years. Then I contracted CFIDS/Fibro, and my Arthritis got worse. Now I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is another scary prognosis.

I don't know if there is a connection or not, but it's interesting, isn't it?

I take MSM and Aloe Vera Juice.. These, together with acupuncture treatments, are all I can do, as I'm sensitive to so many meds.

I wish you luck.
    Terry
  11. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I've had FM for about 25 years, but as yet I've not developed arthitis. I do sometimes get FM flairs in my feet. It's very painful and I can barely walk.
    Barb
  12. ginnytex

ginnytex New Member

My Fibro was diagnosed first then arthritis. First showed up in my hands, then my feet, then my knees and hips. My rheumy has me on relafin, works great for me. My feet burn also and have just started taking Lyrca for that. Wonder drug, no more burning at all.Have just found out I have a very bad vitamin D deficency. Am on the second week of 50,000 units of "D". My muscle aches seem to be getting better, hopefully this will help with the muscle issues. Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]
  13. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I just complained to my Rheumatologist that my hands are really stiff and the joints in fingers achy. She says it is Osteoarthritis. I'm 43 also, which I think is a little young for Osteoarthritis. I'm sure this is related to the Fibro.

She recommended that I try the Cymbalta. Please let me know what you think of it. I also take trazadone at night for sleep.
    Take care, Theresa
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Yes to your question.

I have arthritis of the spine and in the worst area the doc writes down 'cervical disc disease'.

It is like a double whammy with FM.

nyrofan
  15. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Will:

I was actually dx with RA 12 years ago, which was 7 years BEFORE I was dx with FMS. I suspect I have had FMS for many years, just not dx.

While I do not think that they are closely related, these types of illnesses do seem to go together. FMS is not considered a "inflammatory" illness. You just have NON-BONE and NON-JOINT pain. Arthritis (there are many different types) is typically an inflammation response that the body makes to abnormal wear in a joint. RA is considered auto-immune, meaning that our own bodies are attacking our joints, because they get a message that they need to.

I happen to believe that FMS and CFIDS are also some kind of auto-immune response. Many people who have been DX with FMS and/or CFIDS mention that they have always been "sensitive" to many different things. Not just allergies, but other interesting responses. I think that those of us with FMS are actually the first group of people to become ill due to our environment. I know that some of the FMS research shows that our brains do not know how to turn off the "pain" response. Pain messages in your brain are supposed to tell you that soemthing is wrong and that you need to stop doing whatever it is you are doing. Just as swelling is our bodies way to protect say an ankle when we sprain it.

Unfortunately, more will become ill, and then it will become a priority, and perhaps there will be a treatment or a vaccine.

Just a thought.

Ingrid
  16. will122

will122 New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I sometimes feel very alone with this. So far I don't like the way the Cymbalta is making me feel. Very foggy, even quieter than I usually am. I am worried about the side effect when I try to wein off the meds, has anyone tried to get off Cymbalta?
  17. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have arthritis in my back and neck and feet. Those areas are all that have been tested. I'm 44.

I have fibromyalgia, degenerative disc and facets, osteoarthritis, ibs, GERD, Sleep apnea, myoclonis and essential tremor.

I tried cymbalta months ago and couldn't take it. It impaired my cognitive abilities and made my movement disorders much worse.

I'm trying it again at a smaller dosage and it seems to be helping so far.

I also take Celebrex (yes I know the dangers), Wellbutrin XL, Nexium, Zyrtec and atizma.

I tell some people I fell apart after I hit 40! Although I think I had milder fibro or CFS for years.
  18. jesfms

jesfms New Member

yeah i have the bad feet ...dr said it was fasciitis and to ice them wehn it is worse...seems like when they flare so do the hands...i am 60 and am developing osteoarthritis and spond. anklosis (sp) in spine
  19. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I WAS DX FIVE YEARS AGO AM 39 NOW
    IT IS IN MY SPINE, AND MY SHOULDERS, ELBOWS, AND HANDS
    MY ARMS ARE DUE TO ALL THE SURGERIES I HAVE HAD ON THEM
    I HAVE HAD CARPEL TUNNEL TWICE ON BOTH HANDS, ULNER NERVE, TENNIS ELBOW ON BOTH ELBOWS, AND LIBOSCOPIC ON BOTH SHOULDERS. NOW THAT I HAVE THE FM TO GO WITH EVERYTHING ELSE WRONG I FEEL ABOUT 80

HUGS
    BARBARA
  20. happy131

happy131 New Member

Hi there,

New to this site, but nice to know, people out there to help. Yes I have fibro, osteoarthritis, cervical spondylosis, to name a few. I wasn't sure if it went with the fibro or just lucky? Can't offer too much advice, since I'm allergic to asprin and anti-inflamitory meds. Ice seems to help the most.

I was looking for WakeMeUp. The one with the cervical spine problems. Is cervical spondylsis what you have too? Just wondered.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hope you get some good advice!

Happy131