Anyone else with Heart Palpatations?? What did you do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chootik, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi All.

Well, all of a sudden I have heart palpatations with a heavy feeling in my chest, like I can hardly breathe! Needles to say this is scary! Went to the ER last night, they monitered me and said I'm ok and it could be Anxiety. But I still have the palps and don't know why?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? I also noticed that I get these if I eat a big meal or even drink a little bit of coffee! Wondering WHY we are getting this? What can I take to help with this?

If anyone has had this or know anything about this.. please post. Shirl, I read somewhere that you took Malic Acid and Magnesium... can you tell me why?

Much love and gratitude!
    chootik
  2. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I use to get these all the time and was referred to a cardiologist who performed a full work-up on me.

All the test came back normal and I was placed on a beta blocker because I have high blood pressure and was also to be used as a preventative.

Actually everyone gets palpitations but most people do not notice them and when they do, that is when they become bothersome. Most of the time they are not harmful but can be from what I have read and been told.

There are many factors that cause these and caffeine and stress are very high causes of palpitations.

Even thinking about them can cause them if you are slightly nervous they will keep occurring.

You can also do a search here on the boards for other topics relating to these.

I hope this helps and hope you feel better soon :O)

Lindy
  3. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I've had palpatations for many many years, a year ago I had a bad time for a week ,they came on and wouldn't leave.
    It was like every 3rd beat was skipped. I felt so nervous, I went days like this.I read up on it, and realized I may have a B-12 defecentcy sure enough I took the b-12 drops under my tongue and with in 6 hrs. the palpatations and skipping straightened out. Now when it occures I just get out the B-12 drops.It may not be what everyone needs but it did work for me. I have a heart murmer so mine gets crazy at times but the b-12 seems to keep it in check.I get the b-12 drops at the local GNC store.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

If you continue to have them, it would be best to contact a cardiologist and arrange for some basic cardiac testing.
    Better to be safe than sorry.

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. Chootik

Chootik New Member

6. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi - yes I get these at times. I also have periods where my blood pressure is very low (80 / 50), and I can hear my blood pumping through my head. It's so noisy, I have to hold the artery in my neck down to stop it when I'm trying to talk to someone.

I talked to my doctor just today about it, and she has recommended I increase the amount of salt in my diet - a pinch in a glass of water every 2 hours. It's too early for me to say if it helps, but I've done some research on the net and it seems to be an accepted type of treatment for this condition.
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

I get them terribly at times. When my iron level drops, or if I am stressed, have my period, or drink coffee they start.
    I have been to the A&E many times very scared with these palps, only to be told that my heart is fine & sent home again.
    ~*Gentle Hugs*~

Lisa
  8. Cambird

Cambird New Member

I had Tachycardia once 6 years ago and since then I get palpatations. Like FMHurts I have had a few days when my heart just gets stuck like it's kicking me in the chest every few beats. Mine definately get worse the more tired my muscles are and with caffeine. It started coming on always when I was laying down, but it also comes on if I stand for too long.

My doc says it's POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) which has to do with the body not being able to cope with changes in position. I have low blood pressure. The palps are often accompanied by pain and pins and needles in the chest, but my doc assures me it isn't dangerous.

I hope you feel better and whatever yours are it isn't serious. Good luck and lots of love.
    Cambird
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Oh- hey, there's a name for what i was trying to describe to my Dr. when he was looking at me like i was CRAZY!!!!

Why don't they all now this stuff??
  10. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I beleive the magnesium has helped my heart as well.the Dr. has reassured me that allot of people have this, actually most people have some type of palpatations, some more severe than others. My husbands are so strong until he feels like he's going to pass out.
    I believe his is brought on by anxity. The Dr.'s have not found a heart condition in him .But nerves and other things can bring on palpatations.I do believe low iron as well can do this like was spoken of above, because I've had low iron and noticed it more often.
    Plus I was told 8 years ago to never take in caffine again. I can tell if I'm out and happen to get some sweet tea with a meal, I loose about two days sleep. and my heart goes wild. I efects my stomach and everything.
    The Dr. said I was allergic to caffine. I believe allot of folks are but don't no it.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]