Anyone else work as a driver? Going back to work ...blah

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Nov 28, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

I'm curious to know if anyone else works as a driver /
    courier and is it a good match for cfs/fibro sufferers? After 2 years of unemployment, I pulled myself together for a job interview at a dental lab and I got the gig. Basically, I'll be delivering crowns, molds, etc. to dental offices all day long. This job appealed to me much more than a desk job since I'll have some independence and won't have to deal with people quite so much. There's no physical labor or anything. I know a lot of you out there have trouble driving, but for me it's one of the only things I'm still good at :) I'm just wondering if driving is going to be more fatiguing than I imagined. Anyone else do similiar work?

Eddie
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Sounds great. That would be my specialty as well. Only problem for me is getting in and out of the car. If my car seat is at ass level, has automatic transmission, arm rests and cruise control, I'm good to go. I can drive all day. I usually stop and take a snooze if it's an 8 hour trip, but that's okay. And NO BRIDGES!
  3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

but, I also think it could be one of the jobs I could still possibly do. I am still a darn good driver, and I kind of enjoy driving, especially if I have confidence in my vehichle. In my case, my handicap is that I could not do it too early in a.m. nor too late (after dark)...so, I guess that would rule out FULL-TIME work at least in the wintertime with limited daylight hours.

But I do think the opportunity to work within your own environment is much less stressful than the rigid structure of an office job. Also, I would make sure to have lots of tapes/CDs on hand...even if you have to purchase your own player! I'd rent books on tape from the library and traffic snarl-ups would be much less stressful that way. Also, I'd be sure to bring appropriate padding, pillows and would "customize" my seat.

I hope it works out for you and maybe someone else who DOES this work can offer more real-life perspective.
  4. krchamp

krchamp New Member

I would recommend some good sunglasses. Sometimes when I am driving I get really over stimulated which causes fatigue from driving. I usually happens when I pass by sunny then shady areas usually caused by a tree - sunny-shady-sunny-shady usually gets to me.

So, I found some sunglasses that come around the side of my face. It really helps to keep me from getting dizzy. If you suffer from vertigo, that will really help.

Good luck!
    Kristi