Anyone else work full-time+

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beckula, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I am sure this has been asked, but I am surely not the only one???

Tell your story...WHY do you work full-time? Do you like your job? What kind of hours?

I am 25 years old and like I said in another post, I would basically be homeless if I didn't work full-time, even WITH the combined income (I am married). We recently bought a house, which makes money even tighter, but it's actually less stressful for me, because then I know the money isn't being thrown away (in my opinion).

I like my full time job and I also work part time at a golf course (really easy cashiering-type job). My full-time job is at a good time, my shifts are 2-10pm or 4-midnight, so I can relax in the morning:)

But I would work part-time IF I COULD. I mostly take on a full time job because the cost of living is pretty high and I am young.
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm 58 and a RN (public health nurse supervisor with county). I've had FMS since my mid twenties, and was home with my children during their early years, going to work full-time at 32. I fought fatigue, pain, and felt like I had the flu much of the time.

I went through a horrible divorce at 31, and worked full-time and held a part-time job as well at times to make things work at home. I then remarried at 38 to my real "soul-mate", and continued to work full-time and off and on part-time until my late 40's; then in my later 40's my symptoms began getting worse. I was officially diagnosed with FMS and told I most likely had CFS as well just a little over 3 years ago.

The symptoms have continued to get worse. I now hold a supervisory position and am just grateful to not have to be in a clinic, hospital, or in the field, as I doubt I could work under the circumstances. I have osteoarthritis with osteocytes in my spinal column that cause nerve impingement, etc. My hands are a constant problem, and for a nurse . . well let's just say that I wouldn't be able to give a shot without more pain to me than the patient :<) LOL!

I'm just hoping to hold together for another 18 months and then I'll retire at the same time that my husband does. We have financial goals and will have to meet those or hold retirement for a bit. I'm very motivated to complete the financial goals needless-to-say!

Warm wishes,

Jeannette
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I started an internet retail business from home just over a year ago and have been working like crazy to get it built up and profitable. All of a sudden last spring I started getting pain and fog in addition to all the odd symptoms I'd had for years. Was diagnosed with FM in July. It gets more and more difficult to stand or sit or keep things straight in my head.

Before I started this venture, I worked at a big payroll company setting up new accounts for companies with under 500 employees. It was a pressure cooker. I know I couldn't do that now. I can't think of any job I could do either parttime or fulltime.

I'm really worried about how I'm going to manage. My husband has ADD and can't keep a job and I have a 4 year old. I'm 52. Credit is all the way tapped out and the house payment is over $1800 a month.

Today I had to lie on the couch with my feet up on the arm of it because they were so swollen. My legs wouldn't let me stand either. At least I'm working at home, so I can do brief stints at the computer and wrapping packages to mail when I'm up in the middle of the night and stuff.

It sounds like you're doing ok with it Beckula. Do you have a lot of pain and take meds for it? I take vicodin daily--that's when I'm able to work.

I better not dwell on it or I might overpower the antidepressants! Thanks for asking!

Francie
  4. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

I work from 8 to 5 (can anyone tell me whatever happened to the fabled 9 to 5 ?!?!?!?!?!) I like my job, but i dn't like having to get there every morning.

I work because I'm addicted to things like food, a roof over my head, stuff like that. Not many years after I was diagnosed, I went through a horrific divorce, hubby ended up in jail, and rarely paid child support for our 3 kids... so I was responsible for raising them. It's only been 2 years since the last of them left home (for the 2nd or 3rd time!), so now I'm playing catch up, trying to get things paid off so I can save a little by retirement!

It isn't as hard to work now, as it used to be. I used to be much affected by FM than I am now. But that having een said -- it is really getting harder and harder to have the motivation to get up every morning to go to work. Looking toward retirement already and it's 7 years away!
  5. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

to participate in making a living with my husband. We, too, are addicted to electricty, food and a home and I don't think we'll be getting help anytime soon.

I really enjoy my work. My hub and I work together, we are in radio broadcasting. He's the OM/PD (Operations Manager and Program Director) for a cluster of stations and does morning drive on K-PIG. I'm the Promotions Director for the cluster and do mid-days on KOOL.

A while back, there was a time when I didn't know if I would be able to continue because I was in such bad shape with my health but I've been treated since then and things are better now. I am FORTUNATE to have a GM (Mike) who understands and works with me.

My husband and I have talked about it and when he makes GM (General Manager), I am going to cut back to part-time hours.

The one thing I enjoy most about my job is making barter agreements with various concert halls for concert tickets. Lately, I've garnered ticket barters for Loggins & Messina, Santana, Willie Nelson and Hall and Oates. I get such satisfaction knowing our listeners will get to go to a good concert for free. I LOVE giving stuff away.

Plus, radio enables me to better help those in need, like the Hurricane Katrina victims, because we can reach more people more easily. Eight days after the hurricane hit, we raised a little over 10k for the evacuees.

Plus, I'm a music lover. I love it all; country, pop, oldies, classic rock.

What can I say? I love radio and have loved it ever since I did the little high school report on our local station when I was 15 yrs. old.

:)

Chin up,

Kim

6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I began working again about 3 years ago, and I've never looked back! I work a thirty hour week at my elementary school, but tutor after school, so it comes out to fulltime. I love having paid health insurance again (was paying a fortune private Blue Cross for a couple of years) so there's a practical side to why I work. But, I also love my job, get a lot of satisfaction from feeling like I'm good at what I do, and I really like my co-workers.

It's been a win-win situation for me. I wouldn't want to go back to NOT working now, but I also realize I'm not in as much pain or feel as fatigued as some here---for some, just caring for their FM/CFS and having any quality of life IS a fulltime job, so working outside the home isn't for everyone.

But I'm glad I do, even during the tough days (and there are always some of those). I always had a vague sense of depression when I wasn't working, not severe, but always there in the background----that's gone now that I'm working again.

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. spasco

spasco New Member

Yes, I work. My husband and I run a shop, an internet based business and a Painting/roofing business. While it is nice working with DH, so I can come in a bit alte when I need to, I can't ever call in sick either! There are pluses and minuses to everything. But, eating is a tough habit to break.

God bless! Stephanie
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I've been working fulltime forever. I'm an RN, have worked in school health for 20 years. It's nice being on a school calendar and schedule, because there is built-in time off. There is no way I could work hospital, between the fatigue and pain, and the arthritis in my hands and lower back. One shift and I'd be on disability!

Still, even though last summer was stressful for family and personal reasons, I still felt pretty good most of the summer. I've been back to work for 3 weeks now, and feel like that old Mack truck has been running me over again on a daily basis, sometimes several times a day.

I would love to work part time. Maybe after we sell the house and pay off all the debt I'll be able to, when I move north to be with DH.

I enjoy my job, although I'd like to be doing something different soon. The worst part of it is getting up at 5:00 a.m. YUCK.

Actually, right now I feel like I have two jobs, the other one is getting this house sold! Packing is not fun! (speaking of which, I need to vaccuum, have people coming to see the house in a couple of hours.)

Peace,
    Beth.
  9. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

I worked full time as a receptionist/help desk for six years. I loved my job because it helped me feel productive and I also needed the money. If the pain hadn't spread to full body I would still be there. I can't stay in any position too long so sitting at phones all day was bad for me and walking was also bad for me.

Before that worked five yrs full time as an occupational therapist assistant. Too much walking. The third year they switched me to the office to do paper work but that meant sitting all day. So catch 22 for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2005]
  10. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

I teach 2nd grade and have no assistant plus I take home a ton of work everyday (papers to grade, lesson plans to write, etc.)

I just thank God it's not physical labor because I wouldn't be able to make it!

Stacey
  11. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I work full time and I have for about 22 years. I have worked in the technology/telecommunications field and it is a very stressful industry. My current job has helped reduce some of the stress because I rarely work weekends and rarely have to work more then a 8 hour day. Past jobs I had to do both regularly. I like my work but if I had a choice I would be working with real kids, not adults that act like kids....
  12. kbak

kbak Member

I marvel at anyone who has CFS/fibro and works full time, or raises kids, or both!! You people are AMAZING. Makes me feel like a whimp!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2005]
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You know, I sometimes hesitate to answer these posts about those of us who work fulltime, because I never want to imply that those of us who don't work or can't work are somehow less tough, strong or determined. I totally enjoy my job & it's been a blessing for me, but it is NOT for everyone...

I certainly do NOT feel that one should work. Many here struggle daily with far more pain and fatigue than I do, and as I said, dealing with constant pain or bone-weary fatigue is a fulltime--or greater--job in itself! I admire those of us here who are smart enough to quit when they have realized they need to, that the job of caring for themselves and trying to have some quality of life is the most important thing for them to focus on.

And for those who have battled impatient, heartless employers, or have quit working and have filed for disability benefits, and had to appeal a time or two when they've been turned down-----boy, talk about toughness & strength!!! That can be the hardest struggle of all time, to get the benefits they deserve, and they continue to be fighters despite the adversity they face.

So, please don't anyone feel bad if they don't or can't work fulltime or ANY time----there are a lot of different "jobs" in this life, and just because you don't get a paycheck doesn't mean you don't have a job to do when you have FM/CFS!

You are hardly a wimp, kbak, and neither are other non-workers here!!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

Your request: Tell your story...WHY do you work full-time? Do you like your job? What kind of hours?

OK. I don't belong in this post!!! But, I'll join in anyway!!! LOL

I have had fibro/cfs and Lupus since I was 10 years old, but went undiagnosed because the doctors did not know what to call it. Now they realize that I have had this since childhood. Then, through my working career, I developed major heart problems, diabetes, a lot of back trouble, sleep apnea, arthritis all over my body, osteopenia, and more.

I did work full-time for 30 years. I also had over a 1 hour commute to get there. I had three children and a husband to raise during my working career. I worked because I wanted to and becaused I loved my job. I have always been a very independent person and wanted to "have my own life" in addition to my family. I don't know what I really mean by "having my own life!!!!" except that I wanted to make MY OWN money so that I had a 50% say in EVERYTHING that went on in my house, that I had money to do what I wanted to, to get what I needed, etc.

It ended up that my husband had a very expensive hobby in addition to his own personal 8-hr. day job. He liked to farm! We bought a couple farms, farm equipment, etc. Now we are in major debt!

So, I worked to keep the house going, and my hubby worked to keep the farm going. We could have managed if I chose to not work, but I WANTED to work. I also enjoyed the social contacts. I am very much a people person and love talking to people. You can't get that interaction stuck in a house.

But, I also had that hidden knowledge hidden in my little ole brain that if anything happened to our marriage, that I was financially capable of leaving and supporting my kids and myself. I never wanted to depend on a man for anything. I saw how my mother and aunts were married in the 40's and 50's and never worked--stayed home with the kids--and if they ended up in a rotten marriage, they could not leave because they had no jobs and no way of supporting themselves and their children. I said this would never happen to me.

But surprise! I have never had to worry about this! My husband is a terrific guy, good husband, terrific father, and excellent provider. We have been married nearly 35 years and have never had any serious problems. I didn't have to worry after all!

By working 30 years, I had enough work credits to apply for SSDI after I retired. So now, I draw my company pension (which still isn't much after 30 years!) and SSDI.

Did I like my job? I think I already answered that. YES!!! I loved it and would have worked another 15-20 years if I were able. I was afraid that if I didn't leave when I did that I would have a major heart attack in my office and I did not want that!

What kind of hours? I got up at 4:30 am in order to leave the house by 6:30 am in order to get to work by 8:00 am. I had to get up earlier because I had to sit and rest at least 30 min. (and drink coffee) before I felt like getting ready. I always hurt so badly (pain) when I first got up that I couldn't move -- you know, I couldn't get up and jump right in the shower!

The years that I was in a car pool, I got home around 6:30 pm. The last 10 years that I worked, I drove by myself because my job required me to work a lot of overtime (with no overtime pay, of course - ugh!). I normally worked 10-12 hours days and sometimes would not get home until 8:00 or 10:00 pm.

Our plant went on strike one time for 1-1/2 years. Then, all of us salaried workers had to do take on extra jobs after our 8 hrs. So we worked 12 hours days for 7 days/week in order to keep the plant running. Now that was really tough for 18 months when you have a family.

Also there was a period of 3 years that the bridge to cross the river to get into the state where I worked was closed and later torn down. I had to go up to the next bridge to get across the river and it added AN HOUR to my drive each morning and evening!!!! I could not quit because I had too much service in towards my retirement.

So, my working career has not been easy, especially when I was sick the entire time. I also had a half dozen surgeries during my working career.

Somehow I made it. Now I am retired. I get up whenever I want and stay up at night as long as I want!! My three children did not suffer from my working--the oldest is a RN/EMT, the second one is a physician, and the third one is a manager at a local home improvement chain. And .. I am still happily married--even though my husband still works 2 jobs and can not, or does not, help me at all in the house or with errands.

End of my life story!!!!! LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  15. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I work full time 745-515 with an hr commute each way. I work because my family like s to eat and have electricity etc. My husband has been disables for 10 years with a back injury and recvs $700 a month. Not even enough for groceries and gas. It is so hard to get up at 5 when often I have only slept 2 0r 3 hours. I am so sleepy and tired all the time with body ached and pains. I see my dr next week and I am begging for provigil. I dream of getting LTD which will provide benefits for me but my company (a major telecommhnications) is going through a merger and I dont know what is inthe future for our benefits, but I cant do anything right now.
  16. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I work as a software developer, my hours are 8-2:30, but I have a 45 min commute each way. I also have 3 kids ages 8,13,& 15. My two youngest are especially active in sports, so after work, I have my second job, "mom's taxi service". I really don't mind - I'm thrilled to have talented, active kids - but all the running around is tiring!

I have always worked because it keeps me learning, and I know that if anything should happen to my husband's job, his health, or our marriage, that I could support my family.

I have considered leaving my job recently, but have decided to do everything I can to keep working. I don't want this illness to "win". I've been journaling my symptoms and activity in an effort to keep symptoms in check as much as possible. I just don't want to sit home and be "the sick one". I think I may feel worse if I just dwell on my illness. I don't want to offend others with this statement - I am thankful to have symptoms that are less severe than many others. I understand that many do not have a choice due to circumstances far beyond their control.

Wishing everyone a pain-free, energetic day....
  17. kbak

kbak Member

That was a very sweet reply! I know that I'm very lucky I don't have to work. I know many people that don't feel well, and have no choice, that have to work, or raise little kids. That has to take a lot of inner strength to do that day after day.
  18. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

and have for the past 8 years. I do so because we too are addicted to those nasty things like, Food, electric, clothes, school fees. ETC.. I work in an insurance agency. I wish I didn't have to work fulltime but I have no choice. I find it harder everyday to sit through 8 hrs. I try to get exercise as recommended by my dr but I get so exhausted. I joined a local Curves and it has helped some.
    I hurt somewhere pretty much everyday, and the fatigue is the worst but winter is the worst for me and it is fast approaching. I feel it in my bones literally. I have a personal heater in my office to keep me warmer. I am just dreading the pain coming back.The dr recently perscribed Tramadol so lets hope I don't need it too often.
  19. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I work from 9-5 at the insurance agency I own and then go on appointments a couple evenings a week. I am the VP of the Chamber of Commerce, they want me to be the Pres of the Economic Dev Group, I am working on a Main St Project, I run a 3-On-3 Basketball Tourney every August, HS Assistant Girls BB Coach and coach my girls (ages 6 & 9) basketball teams. We raise Labs so I help with those.

Needless to say. . .my FM symptoms are getting worse and I have not been telling my hubby - like he can’t tell a difference.

I don’t work because I like to - I could find so much more to do - I work for the stability. We own our home & my car - the only huge monthly payment we have is our pick-up. Then there are my medical bills & prescriptions.

I think I mainly work out of fear for the future. I am 33 years old - I do not expect SS & Medicare to be the same when I am old enough to use them - I want to retire & not have to worry every day about putting food on the table. If I am taking over $300 in prescriptions a month now what will that be like when I am 65? If an office visit costs me $80 now what will it be years from now? I am putting money away for our retirement and in case I can’t work.

Kelly
  20. BethM

BethM New Member

The fact that I or anyone else is able to work full time does not imply that anyone who doesn't or can't is a wimp or should be ashamed for not working!!!!!

I'd prefer to work part time, because I know I'd feel better, but it's not feasible right now. Maybe next school year, I don't know.

One of my pet peeves is people who say that stay at home mothers don't have a job. Heck! These brave women work harder than almost anyone I know! Longer hours, too. And to raise children while coping with fibro or CFS is positively heroic! I am fortunate that my fibro didn't really raise its ugly head completely until my boys were nearly out of high school.

Anyway, my 2.5 cents, for what it's worth!

Peace,
    Beth.