Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have read, researched about FM being hereditary at times. But always put the thought aside on it, because no one else in my immediate family has any sort of auto-immune disease.

My sister, who is two yrs younger than me--34 has been diagnosed with Lupus. She was diagnosed last week. It came on when she started having fainting spells, dizziness. It all started with a doctor diagnosing mitral valve prolapse. She is haveing problems with her heart, its enlarged. The docs are talking surgery to replace or repair the valve. She then started having more symptoms. Pain, achy joints, swollen eyes, hair loss. Then the docs ran bloodwork, and then diagnosed the lupus. The doctors also asked her if anyone in the immediate family has anything like a autoimmune disorder, disease, including Fibromyalgia. And she told them yes, I do. No one else though has anything at all like me and her. I have 4 other sisters, and a brother. Lots of Aunts and Uncles, and none of them have any disease or disorder.

So how many others here have siblings, family also with a auto-immune disorder/disease?

2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have read, researched about FM being hereditary at times. But always put the thought aside on it, because no one else in my immediate family has any sort of auto-immune disease.

My sister, who is two yrs younger than me--34 has been diagnosed with Lupus. She was diagnosed last week. It came on when she started having fainting spells, dizziness. It all started with a doctor diagnosing mitral valve prolapse. She is haveing problems with her heart, its enlarged. The docs are talking surgery to replace or repair the valve. She then started having more symptoms. Pain, achy joints, swollen eyes, hair loss. Then the docs ran bloodwork, and then diagnosed the lupus. The doctors also asked her if anyone in the immediate family has anything like a autoimmune disorder, disease, including Fibromyalgia. And she told them yes, I do. No one else though has anything at all like me and her. I have 4 other sisters, and a brother. Lots of Aunts and Uncles, and none of them have any disease or disorder.

So how many others here have siblings, family also with a auto-immune disorder/disease?

3. sickandtired

sickandtired New Member

My grandmother, mother and I all have FM.
  4. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi,
    My sister and brother both have MS, my brother also has Crohns Disease.
  5. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

My mom had it. I have it but my other two sisters do not. My daughter has it but not my son as of yet. He is 16 and a football player and I hope he will not get this DD.
    Ann
  6. sapphire

sapphire New Member

My daughter has something. Hasn't been diagnosed yet. She is 20 now and has been sick since she was 14. She is so disgusted with the medical profession that I can't get her to go back to the Dr. I can't really say that I blame her though. I think she has FMS.

Sapphire
  7. karen55

karen55 New Member

My mom has FM, she was just diagnosed last summer. She has been battling lung cancer for the last year and complained about chronic pain, etc. to her oncologist and all he told her was that it was not cancer related. Another Dr. finally told her it was FM. Her cousin also has FM. Some research literature we have read indicates that FM can run in families.
  8. Dlee

Dlee New Member

My sister has RA+Fms.She was the one who said I have FMS about 2 years before I was dx.Alot of cancer runs in my family on both sides
  9. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

except me - I am the only person in my family (immediate & extended that I know of) with any kind of illness. I have 2 healthy boys and pray that they stay healthy.
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

To the best of my knowledge, nobody in my family has ever had anything similar to fibro. My grandmother had Alzheimer's, so when my memory began to go I immediately panicked. You cannot imagine what a relief it was to learn that memory loss and confusion are a part of this condition! I suspect that my cousin's wife also has fibro, but her neighborhood quack is a total incompetent. I shouldn't say that. He did send her to a real doctor who found that her carotid was 98% occluded. Most of my immediate family has had hay fever, food allergies, and contact dermatitis. I would guess that those are hereditary conditions.
    Kathryn
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I am saddened that my sister has been diagnosed with Lupus, and how its affected her. But then I have someone I can relate to more so now. We can support each other. She told me she really just couldnt understand, really know what I have been going through, until she also got so sick. Her illness is different, yet alike.

Thanks all for the input!
  12. sb439

sb439 New Member

... with an autoimmune disease. But of course this doesn't speak against a hereditary thesis, if this is about being prone to getting CFS/FM rather than actually getting it. Susanne
  13. lucky

lucky New Member

I am sure my mother was ill with CFS/FM before she died 10 yrs. ago. My father's immune system was very poor, suffering from many allergies like I do. The bad genes took over which I am sure play a role in my case.
    Regards, Lucky
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mom had FMS, I have FMS and CFS, and both my daughters have FMS. I believe in a genetic predisposition which can lie dormant until something triggers an illness. Head injuries are a common factor in all of us.

Love, Mikie
  15. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

I have never been able to figure out how it is my husband and I both have this illness, having succumbed to it at the same age, our symptoms gradually getting worse until it couldn't be ignored by the age of 36. It became apparant within a few years that all of our children were afflicted also. If it is hereditary, don't you think it very coincidental my husband and I both would have a hereditary predisposition to the same disease? I still think this disease could be caused by a virus or something else that transmits through birth through the generations and unfortunately through sex to our spouses.
  16. JCharity

JCharity New Member

My dad passed away 20 years ago but I am sure he had fibro........they just didn't have a name for it. He had all the symptoms I have and at that time they tagged it as arthritis along with an occupational hazard. He was a barber and was in the same position all day long cutting hair. I truly believe it is heriditary. Hugz, Jenn
  17. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

Gallops in My family! Many of us have it.

Robin