Anyone ever called their congressperson re ssdi case?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Trini, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Trini

Trini New Member

I read in a sample ssdi case that calling ur congressperson can help. This person was a doctor and she said she called "to let them know about my concern about the seemingly routine rejection of pwc's applications and asked him to follow my file. They did. I had my ss benefits (w/ back payments) before 3 months had passed."

anyone tried this? who wud i call? a senator or two or my local rep for my district?

Trini
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

my congressmen sent a letter of support to the alj last month but it didnt help so im actually calling the congressmaen agin tommrow because they told me if i contuied to have promblems they would get more involed.
  3. achy

achy New Member

He has a person in his office that just worked on SS issues. She told me there was nothing she could do unless I was in financial termoil....electric about to be turned off, being evicted/forclosure, etc....
    I find this as bull...I used to be a lobbyist....they can help if they so desire....many ppl have gotten help....I guess next election I vote for someone else!
    Good luck
    Achy
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

but it's on my list of "things to do". I'm not sure just who to call though. The reason I was going to call them is that I find it totally unacceptable that a person should have to wait so long before they get the benefits they are entitled to. My attorney told me, just yesterday, that it takes at least one year to get the appointment with the ALJ after being denied the first two times. I think that is totally ridiculous, there must be a better way.

Dara
  5. Trini

Trini New Member

a year for a date w/ the judge??? I have to ask my lawyer abt that..I'm in MA and I don't think it takes that long here...i sure hope not.

thanks for the advise guys, I'm gonna ask my attorney who he thinks I shud call...I really like the idea of calling Senator Kennedy's ofc, but seems like u all started w/ ur local district's congressional rep.

Trini
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

the state of Oregon. Anyway, that is what he told me. He did also tell me that sometimes the decision will be made without going before the ALJ. He said that doesn't happen very often but it is possible. He has been sending them updated medical information regarding my disability. I have two letters from two different doctors plus some lab results that he thinks could help. Anyway, according to him they do look at this new documentation and if they feel it's enough they can make a decision before going in front of the ALJ.

Dara