anyone ever chicken out on an ssdi psych exam??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 15, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm supposed to go in the morning and i'm really nervous about it; not sure why. i'm not optimistic about getting approved so i'm wondering why i should put myself through the stress of an exam. i'm supposed to go for a physical exam next week too. if you're ever forced to reapply, do they hold it against you if you miss the exams?

e.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2005]
  2. whoachief

whoachief New Member

I was told that if you do not go to the exams you will be denied no matter what so they will definately hold it against you. I was VERY nervous when I went for my psych exam but the psychiatrist was VERY nice & when I left there I had to laugh at myself for being so worried about it. Just try not to stress about it & go ahead to the exams - just be honest & don't be afraid to tell them EXACTLY how your life is. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

And all he did was talk a little. Took all of 15 min.

He wrote in his report that I was fine except very tearful.

I got denied that time.

I went before the judge in Sept. and got a bench approval.

I did not have to go to the physical.

Don't worry about it its nothing.You will be fine.

Sue
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i personally would have someone drive you cause well that was one question he asked...i said no..i don't have anyother choice...

they will ask you to remeber three words at the beginning don't try to remember them really cause then they will use it against you...and they may tell you a story about sally and dick...and if you can account for everything they will use that against you..you will be able to handle the most menial and mindless job....that is what ssa wants to hear you can do any job.....

if you cry so be it, if you forget things and stumble on your words and mix things up...then good for you...let them have all of your troubles and tell it all if you can remember....

i was so stressed out and confused and said i had a vuccumus life and he replied vacuos.....spelling sorry...

but i told him the way i felt about my divorce and the happenings and my alcoholic molesting father...everything...my visit was quite lengthy i told him about my pain and he said that will cause me to have depression too...and i told him i would love to get back into real esatate and he replied i don't think you could ever do that again you would have to be pretty manic....he doesn't want to hear about how you get along w/friends and have all of these social events...which is not my case....

but some people have to fudge alittle because they only have so much time with the ssa doc...

good luck

jodie
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Please go. There is really nothing to worry about. It's no big deal!

They will NOT approve your case if you do not have this exam, nor your physical exam, if they requested both.

I don't know if they will ever hold it "against" you or not.

Since you are really nervous, ask someone to ride up with you to the exam site. They will let them wait in the lobby. My daughter took me.

Really .... nothing to worry about. Just be yourself and be honest and you will do fine!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

like m acupuncturist said, the guy doing the exam gets up every morning and puts on his underwear just like me. the fact that he's in the psych business means he probably had problems of his own at one time or another! i just have to get over the bureaucratical judgment part of it and i'll be fine. i'm going.

eddie
  7. whoachief

whoachief New Member

Try not to stress too much & let us know how it goes.
  8. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Make sure you go to these exams!! It really isn't a huge deal they are very simple, you just answer the questions, it's all over in about 15-20 min. Not going means no money, & having to reapply! do not cause yourself any extra stress!!
  9. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

over in 15 minutes. i feel silly for getting nervous about it, but fortunately, i woke up in a pretty good place. low pain day. low anxiety day. he got me on a good day. if i'd woken up feeling rotten, i might have blown it off.

eddie

p.s. it's hard to remember half a dozen numbers and repeat them backwards!
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

the exam went fine though i fear the doc might've made some notes that he suspects substance abuse, which as we know is a disability killer. i was very frank with him about the fact that i experimented with drugs and drank a lot in college, but that was 8 years ago! he went on to ask if my father was an alcoholic, which of course, he was. i'd hate to think the doc would assume that this means i have a substance abuse problem, because i don't. i was a bad boy in college but not now.

got my physical exam tomorrow, then i'm done. for now.

eddie
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

bpmwriter:
    Show up! Not showing up will not do you a bit of good.
    Lay it on the doc hard and heavy. I even had to go to Vocational Rehabilitation and they even said I needed the SSD. I just can not work and if you set your mind-set to that not much gets goofed up.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan