anyone ever feel more tired after taking vitamin d

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mimmic, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mimmic

mimmic Member

i have tried it 3 or 4 times and seem to get more tired but with this illness-cfs-its hard to tell because symptoms of fatigue(oh how i hate that word it doesnt nearly express what we feel with this)fluctuate on a regular basis. speaking as someone housebound with this so those of you who experience that degree of it know fatigue is pretty severe anyway. doctor wanted me to take 2000 ius. said my level was 23..carolyn
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Vitamin D shouldn't cause you to become more tired.
  3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...the answer to this but, Mimmic, had you low or deficient on your Vitamin D level before you took it? Had your doc done the blood labs to find out your vit D level?

Vitamin D is a fat-soluable vitamin, meaning that it builds up in your body over time rather than being filtered by your kidneys then peed out, like vitamin C. And it IS possible to overdose on vitamin D.

One of the symptoms of Vitamin D overdose is muscular weakness and fatigue.

You might want to check this website:

4. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Vit D interacts with a lot of body systems, including kicking up anti-viral efforts. It might be that you are experiencing tiredness because it's trying to kill off low-grade chronic infections.

Also, if you have nutritional deficiencies elsewhere, you may not have the right mix of vitamins, minerals and enzymes to let it do it's job, or it's robbing the vitamins from other systems to fight viruses, and other system is making you tired. Is that making any sense?

Anyway, if I take a whole 1000 iu D3 tablet in one go, I get feverish and flu-like and tired and cranky a few hours later. If I take divided doses morning and evening, and make sure to have lots of Vitamin C foods and calcium, I don't get the tired feverish feeling at all.
  5. mimmic

mimmic Member

thanks all. my blood level was 23 before taking any. i have been trying to sit outside for a few minutes when i feel like it. cant take but a few minutes though maybe 15. heat and cold both can make me worse. may give it another try in a few days after i get past extra fatigue relafin caused. carolyn
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If Mimmic's blood test came back at 23, then it is very low.
  7. ulala

ulala New Member

vit.D. One of my doctors gave me very high dose Vit.d, maybe 50,000 units. I took one and couldn't get out of bed for a week I felt so badly. Then I tried 4000 units and the same. I can take 400 units several times a week.

People who have sarcoidosis should not take vit. d because it will make them sick. If it makes you worse don't take it. Just because it helps some people doesn't meen it's for everyone! You probably can't absorb it properly.
  8. ulala

ulala New Member

Adverse reaction to Vit D
    written by Cynthia F., Mar 10 2010

I no longer trust Cannell's 'research' or his interpretation of studies. I, and many others I've met on forums, have adverse reactions to Vit D3, even the lower amounts of 2,000 IU/day and even though we were tested and were deficient. And we do not have the conditions that would make Vit D contraindicated.

Many of us have written to Cannell to tell him this and suggest he study this, but he blows us off and seems to be an over-zealous advocate of D who seems very biased and uninterested in any study or info that might show the downside of Vit D.

I'm waiting for the long-term effects to take place in people taking these higher amounts which are not simultaneously increasing their Vit A and K levels. In 10 years I wager we will be hearing about the negative effects that the higher doses of this 'miracle nutrient' have had on those taking it.
  9. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...I guess I missed that part. Blame fibro fog, as usual! lol

10. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Thanks ulala. Most people never heard of Vitamin K and they're talking about it being the new Vitamin D in terms of deficiency. Vit D helped me a lot but I tried to get it from sun exposure when I could. I'm kind of waiting for the dust to settle on the D craze, but one of the ideas about supplementation is if you're really low in something to treat a supplement like a drug and address the defiency and be done but you have to maintain a balance with other nutrients, too.

"Vitamin D toxicity redefined: vitamin K and the molecular mechanism.
    Masterjohn C.

Weston A. Price Foundation, 4200 Wisconsin Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20016, United States.

The dose of vitamin D that some researchers recommend as optimally therapeutic exceeds that officially recognized as safe by a factor of two; it is therefore important to determine the precise mechanism by which excessive doses of vitamin D exert toxicity so that physicians and other health care practitioners may understand how to use optimally therapeutic doses of this vitamin without the risk of adverse effects. Although the toxicity of vitamin D has conventionally been attributed to its induction of hypercalcemia, animal studies show that the toxic endpoints observed in response to hypervitaminosis D such as anorexia, lethargy, growth retardation, bone resorption, soft tissue calcification, and death can be dissociated from the hypercalcemia that usually accompanies them, demanding that an alternative explanation for the mechanism of vitamin D toxicity be developed. The hypothesis presented in this paper proposes the novel understanding that vitamin D exerts toxicity by inducing a deficiency of vitamin K. According to this model, vitamin D increases the expression of proteins whose activation depends on vitamin K-mediated carboxylation; as the demand for carboxylation increases, the pool of vitamin K is depleted. Since vitamin K is essential to the nervous system and plays important roles in protecting against bone loss and calcification of the peripheral soft tissues, its deficiency results in the symptoms associated with hypervitaminosis D. This hypothesis is circumstantially supported by the observation that animals deficient in vitamin K or vitamin K-dependent proteins exhibit remarkable similarities to animals fed toxic doses of vitamin D, and the observation that vitamin D and the vitamin K-inhibitor Warfarin have similar toxicity profiles and exert toxicity synergistically when combined. The hypothesis further proposes that vitamin A protects against the toxicity of vitamin D by decreasing the expression of vitamin K-dependent proteins and thereby exerting a vitamin K-sparing effect. If animal experiments can confirm this hypothesis, the models by which the maximum safe dose is determined would need to be revised. Physicians and other health care practitioners would be able to treat patients with doses of vitamin D that possess greater therapeutic value than those currently being used while avoiding the risk of adverse effects by administering vitamin D together with vitamins A and K."

11. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...with lots of plain old iceberg lettuce, if you want vitamin K.