Anyone ever had a high SED Rate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Milo83, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Ok, I have FM, DDD, DJD, AIH (autoimmune hepatitis), IBS, Raynold's Syndrome, along with some others..I just had my lab work done for my AIH, all my liver enzymes came back normal, as well as my CBC; but my SED Rate was 30 which is high..I've been seeing a rhuemy to have everything checked out..But now all of a sudden my SED Rate has doubled..I'm still waiting on my gastro dr (the one who ordered the labs) and the rhuemy to get back to me..Did anyone ever have anything like this happen to them..I'm concerned, and still waiting for Drs. to call..With the SED Rate at 30, it shows that there is inflammation in my body..Yes, I knew that but why double all of a sudden..Does anyone think it could be due to medicine change..I took Vioxx for a few years and then in July, rhuemy changed me to Mobic..
    Open to any and all ideas on this one........
    Thanks in Advance..............Donna
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Ok, I have FM, DDD, DJD, AIH (autoimmune hepatitis), IBS, Raynold's Syndrome, along with some others..I just had my lab work done for my AIH, all my liver enzymes came back normal, as well as my CBC; but my SED Rate was 30 which is high..I've been seeing a rhuemy to have everything checked out..But now all of a sudden my SED Rate has doubled..I'm still waiting on my gastro dr (the one who ordered the labs) and the rhuemy to get back to me..Did anyone ever have anything like this happen to them..I'm concerned, and still waiting for Drs. to call..With the SED Rate at 30, it shows that there is inflammation in my body..Yes, I knew that but why double all of a sudden..Does anyone think it could be due to medicine change..I took Vioxx for a few years and then in July, rhuemy changed me to Mobic..
    Open to any and all ideas on this one........
    Thanks in Advance..............Donna
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...I was put in the hospital because I could not walk without help and they thought I had MS. My sed rate upon hospital admission was 55. One week later it was 5, so the doctor assumed they had made an error in the first test. I don't think so. I think there are still many things about this disease we just don't know.
    Conventional medicine teaches that there is no such thing as a sed rate that is too low, but when I studied Naturopathic Medicine, I was taught that sed rates below 10 are just as suspicious as ones that are too high.
    I hope you find an answer to your question. I would only be guessing that the hepatitis may be responsible, but really have no idea. Best wishes,
    Klutzo
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Never thought anything about it.

Take care, Kim and Gary
  5. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Have you looked into polymyalgia rheumatica? It is an illness with symptoms very similar to FM/CFS. It is determined by a high sed rate. I tell everyone on this board with a high sed rate that they may want to check this out. It's another one of these diseases with no known cause or cure. The reason I mention it is because it can lead to a condition called giant cell arteritis which can cause blindness. Early treatment and monitoring are the best forms of prevention. It is a good idea to check with your doctor about it if you have a high sed rate, although with your varied illnesses there could be any number of reasons for your high sed rate.
    So sorry to hear of all the things you are having to deal with. Hope the doctors can figure it out.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I've also had a high sed rate with no explanation.The highest was 58,and at that time my rhuemy put me on low dose prednisone for a couple months just to get it down.(which due to the side effects....I would'nt recommend)
    There are many things that could cause the high rate.I had alot of testing done at that time and all was normal.I did have suspisions of polymyalgia rhuematica too but I guess that usually happens after or around the age of 50.......so me being 37 at the time,that was dismissed.I was told that even with a strep throat your rate can be in the 20's,normal I heard was around 8.
    Wishing you luck,
    Tracey
  7. donmia

donmia New Member

Hi Donna
    I do know that your sed rate measures the inflamation in your body.But i dont know why it would change suddenly. I really dont think meds could do it. Im sure someone will know the answer. My sed rate between 64 and 75 for the last year and a half. I have fibro, and connective tissue disease. they tell me that i dont have lupus because i dont meet the criteria. ( like trying to join some kind of club )lolI hope someone can help you more than i did.
    Donna
  8. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Not sure why yet, still working on it. I have Post Traumatic Fibromyalgia and thyroid issues that is in the process of diagnosis. Your sed rate measures inflamation in your body and boy do I ever feel that inflamation! There is temporal Arteritis, but it tends to effect older people only. My advise is to wait and see what the doctor says. I went overtime in the worrying over Temporal Arteritis and I worried for nothing.
    Best of luck to you,
    Lanie
  9. meandyou

meandyou New Member

Hi,
    I had an elevated sed rate most of the last 12 years. I think it's part of the diease. The sed rate goes up when the imflammation levels go up. I usually can tell ,because I feel sore and in pain and on fire . The diease I've heard is a form of arthritis. I found ice packs are the only things the make it feel better for me and imflammation meds. My sed rate was between 30-100 and yes it was very high. I hope this helps you in some way. Take care.

meandyou
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2002]
  10. ginny

ginny New Member

Donna,
    Hi my name is ginny. About my Sed Rate started to go out of control. It went high at first then low finally began to climb. Now I'm between 92 to 105. Normal is (40 - 64).
    I have been dx with Lupus for a year.
    I wrote a post I hope to get some in put. Lupus is hard to dx because it mimic many other auto-immune DDD. So you will want to keep a check on this.
    But the best advise is wait until your doctor gets back to you and I know it's hard to do. But I would keep his mind on checking on the Lupus from time to time.
    I hope this helps and Good Luck!
    ginny
  11. herblady

herblady New Member

a high sed rate means inflammation somewhere in your body. it can't specify where though. i always have a high one because of several inflammatory conditions, chronic bronchitis, tendonitis, arthritis. you need further examination to find the source. cindi

[ advertisement ]