Anyone ever had a LIVER BIOPSY??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angiecw71, Oct 3, 2006.

1. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

Hi everyone, just wondering if any of you all have ever had a liver biopsy. I am scheduled to have one done next Tuesday the 10th. I am very nervous. I know I willed be sedated. I am wondering how you felt afterward?? Where you sore?? Or can you tell what they do? Do they cut you at all?? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Angie
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

3. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

4. TerryS

TerryS Member

I haven't had a liver biopsy yet, but some day in the future I will need one. I'm assumed to be in the preclinical stage of primary biliary cirrhosis.

I did a lot of research on it last week (not that I can REMEMBER a lot of details now), but seems like I remember reading that they will sedate you with something to help you relax and not care what is going on. I think they numb the area where the go in...basically I think it's a large needle so that they can pull out a core sample. They can't put you completely under 'cause you have to hold your breath when they do it.

I read some posts about it on another message board. Most of the people said that the biopsy was not a big deal and that they felt sore the next day or so but that was all. The biggest ordeal was having to lie there for a few hours afterwards before they could be released to home. (Have to make sure the bleeding has stopped).

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck with it. Please let us know how everything turns out.

TerryS
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Do NOT worry about it at all!!! I had it done and if you can stand having the needle for getting a cavity filled, you will do just fine!

You see, the worst part is putting the anesthetic into you...and that is not more than 6-10 seconds long, so you'll be just fine.

Mine was not at all traumatic. I had to rest afterwards to make sure I had no bleed, then went home and did not do anything heavy for about 2 days and was just fine!

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease, which some with CFS can develop. It is called NASH (non-alcoholic steato hepatitis), not connected to Hep A,B, or C.

I take milk thistle to help my liver do its job, and my last test, 2 weeks ago, were normal.

Best of luck to you!
    findmind
  6. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

Angie, how did you liver biopsy go? I am scheduled for one tomorrow and I am dreading it!
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My husband (who's very sensitive to pain) had one done without any sedation. It was perfectly fine. I guess conceivably something could go wrong, but he said it was less painful than going to the dentist for a cleaning.
  8. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

9. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I am sorry I didn't get back to you before you went. But it isn't bad at all. I did experience some cramping afterwards but they gave me a percocet and knocked it right out. I pray all went wll for you today.

Angie
  10. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

You made it! :)
    I head out in an hour.