anyone ever had an EGD??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SICKim514, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SICKim514

SICKim514 New Member

I have to have an EGD and I'm not looking forward to it. I posted last week about some stomach pain and ended up going to my doctor. He put me on Aciphex once a day, which isn't helping too much. He switched me over to Nexium as of today. He sent me for an abdominal ultrasound today to look at my gallbladder. He said he thinks it's gastritis but wanted to rule that out first. The ultrasound came back clean thankfully. I spoke with him this afternoon and told him my stomach is hurting pretty badly and I'm very nauseated. I told him how it seems to be when I haven't eaten anything for a couple hours. It feels like hunger pangs times a thousand, and I get nauseous with it. So then he said the words I was dreading, "I think you need to have an EGD." Yuck! Being a nurse this is one test I'm definitely NOT looking forward to. He's concerned about a possible ulcer because of my symptoms. So I'm going for that on the 19th. I'm terrified though. I've sent many patients for this test, but have never had it done myself. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
  2. loto

loto Member

I, too have seen a GI doc for stomach problems, and he thinks I may have an ulcer for my upper problems, and IBS for the lower stomach pain I get. So, I'm on Prilosec daily, and take Bentyl when needed for the lower stomach pain. I'm going in for an upper GI Monday, and a colonoscopy the following Monday. He didn't want to do them at the same time, in case I do have an ulcer he was afraid when I take all the "cleaning out" pills that it would rupture. So, I get to go through this "sounds like so much fun" twice!! I don't know which one I'm dreading the most! I'm claustrophobic, so the thought of a tube going in my mouth and down my throat terrifies me, and the other end just sounds so uncomfortable and painful!! i know they give you relaxing meds, so hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds!! Good luck with your tests, I'll let you know how mine turn out.
  3. SICKim514

SICKim514 New Member

glad to know I'm not the only one going through all of this "fun" stuff. I definitely couldn't handle a colonoscopy. It's not even the colonoscopy part that scares me, it's the bowel prep beforehand. Yuck! I'll let you know how everything works out, and you definitely do the same!
  4. hopabout

hopabout New Member

I have more photos of my insides than I do of me ! Its kinda cool actually that they can go roaming around in there and check out the "tube." I am not sure the difference in upper and lower and in the mouth or the other route.... but they have always put me to sleep or heavy sedated. I love vercet.... best stuff on the planet.... cousin to valium, I think. Anyway, my throad was scratchy for a couple of days and I wanted more to drink than usual, but otherwise, I was fine.... just didn't want to wake up.

My doc at the time said he had one and it was at 10 a.m. He woke up at 6 ! Vercet is good stuff. Actually, I am so tired this week, I would love a few hours of it. But I think its not a good thing on the body ... just works.

So, if they knock you out,, no prob. If they don't, take some valium !

5. loto

loto Member

Well, I had the egd this morning. Nothing to it! The last thing I remember was the girl spraying my throat, then being wheeled to the room where I started. I don't even remember the recovery room. Anyway, after i got dressed i fell right back to sleep, and then the doc came in to talk to me about what was seen. They told me I wouldn't be asleep, but wouldn't remember anything, and they were right. Anyway I don't have any ulcers, he only found evidence of acid reflux. And he took a sample from somewhere, because if acid reflux isn't treated, i think i understand correctly that it can cause cancer of the esophagus. So, next monday i get to go back for the colonoscopy. I dread the prep the day before more than the procedure itself. But, if it will give me answers to that part of my stomach, i'll muddle through! maybe I'll take muscle relaxers to help me stay calm and sleep all day the day before (except when I have to take the dreaded "cleaner outers"), so i won't feel like i'm going to starve to death!!!!!!!!!!
  6. SICKim514

SICKim514 New Member

I'm glad you're EGD went smoothly. I'm so nervous about it, but I'm definitely hoping to get some answers. I'm tired of my stomach hurting so badly, to the point that I'm throwing up. I'm already at that point this morning. How long did the whole procedure take approximately? And how long were you there altogether? Also, do you know what medication they used to put you to sleep? I'm having it done at the hospital and I believe they use Versed and Fentanyl. Only 2 more days until my EGD. My biggest fear is that I'll go there and they'll find absolutely no cause for the stomach pain and vomiting.
  7. loto

loto Member

for about 2 1/2 hours I think. The test itself took only about 5 minutes, once they got started. It's just waiting that takes the longest!!!! you go in, get your shirt/bra off, put the gown on and lay there. nurse asks questions about your meds, they put an iv for fluids in you, then you wait until they're ready for you in the testing room. once you get in there they'll have you lay on your side. when the doctor finally gets in there, he'll tell them how much meds to put in your IV, and I think it's the meds you mentioned above. Then they'll quirt the number in your throat, and have you put a plastic thing in your mouth so you don't bite down on the scope, and that's the last thing I remember till i got to the room i started in!!!!! they actually put you in a recovery room for 30 minutes, but i remember NOTHING about that either!!! i just remember coming to the room i started in, my husband was there, i got dressed, sat back down, fell asleep for a few minutes, then the doctor came in and told us what he found. my doctor took a biopsy of something I guess on my esophagus, (the nurse told me he always does with his patients). That won't come back for a couple of weeks though. But that's just his routine. So, I'll tell you to just expect to be there for at least 3 hours because of all the waiting!!!! And I'm assuming they told you to bring someone with you, cause you won't be able to drive after. So, let me know what they tell you after you get yours done! And try not to worry, I know it's hard to not worry with all these stupid things we suffer from with this FM and stuff! It's so frustrating!