Anyone ever had an endometrial ablation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hasbeen, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Hasbeen

Hasbeen New Member

I'm just looking for different opinions about it. I suppose to have it done Oct. 25th. My best friend is an OB/GYN. I'm in KY she's in IL. She thinks it will make my life somewhat easier. She says I have enough to deal with, without the excessive bleeding.
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I wish I could have had an ablation. I had fibroids and had to have a hysterectomy.

It is my understanding tha the oblation is relatively safe, as far as medicine goes.

The endometrial lining is heated via the cervix and the tissue dies. That removes the means to have heavy bleeding due to endometriosis, etc.

In most cases, it precludes any further pregnancies.

Normal activity can be resumed in just a few days.

Supposedly, it offers a great alternative to hysterectomy.
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi There,

Yes! I had the procedure done about a year and a half ago. At the same time she removed a fibroid that was causing a lot of the bleeding. What a difference it made. I almost stopped bleeding during my periods entirely. Before I had it done, I had to live in the bathroom for several days. At work I could barely make it back to my desk before I had to turn around and go to the ladies room again.

It took about 20 minutes for the actual procedures. I went in at 9AM and was home by 1PM. I had to spend a little time in recovery because they put you out completely.

No pain involved. The only thing is that you have to be really careful not to get pregnant because there is no more uterine lining.

There are several methods of endometrial ablation. The one I had used a little metal device that, once inside the uterus, fanned out all around (I think of those optic thread lights, but I didn't see it, so....) They put electricity through it and burn off the lining. It sounds painful, but no nerves there to tell you it hurts.

For me, this was a great alternative to a hyterectomy. I didn't consider a D&C because it was such a temporary fix. It doesn't do anything for PMS! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Take care!

Francie
  4. tkslave

tkslave New Member

I had this done Jan. 2004. Best thing I ever. I haven't had a period since. I was having two periods a month for 15 yrs. and the worst pain , all has improved. It was a god send. Good Luck and don't be scared one of the easiest procedures to recover from. No problems since. Again Good Luck .
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes. I had this done as a day patient in 1991 because of very heavy bleeding, & only had light periods afterwards. Best wishes to you with this..