Anyone ever had LOW Hemoglobin? (Anemia)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by star273, Nov 24, 2008.

1. star273

star273 New Member

Blood test came back low, just wondering if anyone else has ever had this and what the Dr. said?
    Thanks
  2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

My doctor has me on supplements for both. She hasn't said why she has me on them ( her assistant called and I need to ask the doctor in person)
    Holly
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2008]
  3. star273

star273 New Member

Do you know what your levels are? I read something about internal bleeding, but then I read a million other things it could be so I dont know????
  4. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

No , I'm sorry , they didn't tell me the levels and I didn't think to ask.
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

you need to find out your ferritin level( stored iron ) mine was a 2 with a hemaglobin of 8.5 normal is 12 to 15 and ferritin should be at least 50 even though the blood test say 10 to 150 i needed 3 iron ivs to bring it up i also take 28 mg iron daily probably for life some women i talk to take as much as 325mg a day first you need to make sure your not bleeding internally and what your levels are hugs charlene
  6. star273

star273 New Member

I just had another test for that, I will have to see what that one says. Did you find out if you were bleeding internally ? What did the Dr. have you do? So it doesnt always mean you are bleeding internally when your hemoglobin is low?
  7. star273

star273 New Member

Hi,
    got the other test results. Iron is 14 and Ferritin is 3. I am just wondering how you know if its internal bleeding or low iron levels..... What do you think?
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

internal bleeding, blood donations, being vegan or even having a heavy period for yrs without eating enough meat ,that was me. i did have scopes up and down to make sure there was no bleeding. then i had a endometrial ablation done to lighten my period (novasure) like i said before i needed 3 iron ivs to get me up in range.
  9. efly

efly New Member

Hi star 273,
    My ferritin was low at one stage 5... no wonder you feel awful.... I had to have 6 iron infusions .If you can keep your ferritin between 50 and 80...thats a good range for us.
    efly
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

a few years into my CFS, my iron was a little low. as the years went on, it slowly got lower and lower.

when i got severely ill 2 1/2 years ago, it was alarmingly low. my doctors here didn't know anything and just kept giving me iron pills.

i now believe that what i had was "anemia of inflammation", which was caused by chronic viral infection.

i have not had my levels checked recently but should!

sue:)
  11. star273

star273 New Member

I think I am just scared that it could be internal bleeding..... I keep reading about that, but then I keep hearing that everyone gets tests done and theres no bleeding. I wonder why they assume its internal bleeding. Seems like alot of people are anemic for no reason.....I hope they get it figured out.
    Thanks everyone.