Anyone ever had this done as a part of your preop??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Jun 21, 2006.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Just curious. I am having a 3 level lumbar fusion on the 6th of July.

Anyway, I went to see the ortho yesterday for his part of the pre-op. Actually saw his nurse practitioner instead. And she said that when I get to the hosptial for THEIR part of the pre-op, that they will be doing something that sounds like an EEG on me.

She said they'll hook up some electrodes to my brain, and get a baseline reading, so that when they do the surgery, they'll have that to monitor my brain during the surgery.

I have had numerous surgeries-this is my 4th spinal surgery-and I've never had this done before.

Anyone have any idea why they'd be doing this? Are they thinking I could be losing oxygen during the procedure? Is this procedure maybe longer than the norm? I know I'll ask when I get to the hospital on the 3rd, but was just wondering ahead of time.

Thanks for your input!!! PG
  2. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I have heard of people having their brain monitored during surgery to make sure the anesthesia is working properly.

Have you heard the stories of people who wake up during surgery and can feel pain, but cannot move? Maybe this is the reason.

I would definitely ask! Obviously you know how you react to anesthesia and don't have any problems with it. I had surgery last summer and they did not monitor me.

I hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

Good luck.
  3. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

WHY DON'T YOU CALL THE OFFICE AND ASK THEM WHY THEY ARE GOING TO DO THAT
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

I don't know why they are doing it - to test your nerve response? I've had an EEG. To be sure you don't have a seizure? When you find out, let us know!
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

is used to test nerve function along the spine. This is nothing to worry about this is common practice in spinal surgeries.

Here are some good sites for you:

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/neurology/patients/eeg.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3351372&dopt=Abstract

I am sure you will do great with yours.

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  6. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I've been an RN for over 20 years. I also have had 4 other spinal surgeries, and NEVER have I had this done.

That's why I was curious, and to be honest, a little unnerved about this.

But I had a good explanation from someone who's had this type of in-depth spinal surgery, and he said it IS to monitor your nerves during the surgery. To make sure that there is no nerve damage going on during the surgery, and to make sure that placement of the hardware is not going to cause any future nerve damage. I suppose they can tell that by the way your nervous system is reacting. At least, I hope so!! HA.

Thanks for the responses!! I will talk to the hospital staff when I go there on the 3rd for THEIR pre-op, and I'll give you all the scoop then. C-ya. PG
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

never sugested that you did not know what an EEG was. I just typed out the full name by habit.

8. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Just so uptight about this whole thing!!!

I just had another spinal surgery patient tell me that she had an EEG hooked up to her during her last surgery. She said there were also electrical probes in her rectum and urethra.

Wow, can't wait!!! NOT!!!!! Geez, if they can't think of one way to torture you, they come up with half a dozen others, don't they??

Anyway, thanks for all the info! PG
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I can understand why they would do an EMG, which would monitor spinal and nerve function in the legs, buttocks, etc. during the surgery to make certain that nerves are not being damaged or pressured.

However, other than the monitoring done by anesthesia, to make certain that anesthetic levels are adequate, I see no reason to do this, unless they are doing some sort of study. That would, however, require special permission forms.
  10. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

from University of Iowa Department of Neurology -

Neurophysiological Monitoring during Surgery (Intra-operative Monitoring or - IOM)

Patient who undergoes brain, spinal cord or spine surgery may have potential risk for damaging the nervous system.

In order to avoid neurological damage to peripheral nerve, spinal cord, brainstem or brain during surgery, various neurophysiological testing have been developed.

In our laboratory, all operating rooms have Internet connection for transmitting EEG or EP data from operating room to review station in the EEG laboratories.

1. EEG Monitoring
    EEG monitoring is done most commonly during surgery of carotid artery, for example, carotid endarterectomy.

EEG is a sensitive tool to reflect brain ischemia during cross clamping of the carotid artery.

If EEG changes after cross clamping of the artery, shunt placement is required to restore the blood circulation to the brain and to avoid ischemic damage to the brain.

2. Brainstem Auditory Evoked Potential Monitoring (BAEP)
    BAEP monitoring is requested by surgeons for surgery of brainstem, for example, removal of acoustic tumor, vascular decompression of trigeminal nerve for trigeminal neuralgia or vascular decompression of facial nerves for facial spasms.

Auditory nerve or brainstem is at risk during these surgeries.

Monitoring BAEP helps to identify potential risk and to prevent permanent damage to auditory nerve or brainstem.

3. Somatosensory Evoked Potential Monitoring (SEP Monitoring)
    SEP monitoring is used for testing spinal cord function for surgeries of spine or spinal cord such as scoliosis, laminectomy, spine fusion or spinal cord tumor surgeries, etc.

For cervical spine or cervical cord surgery, upper extremity SEP is usually tested by stimulation median or ulnar nerve. For thoracis/lumbar spine or cord surgery, posterior tibial nerve is stimulated.

Changes of SEP during surgery will provide warning signs to surgeons before permanent spinal cord damage occurs.

4. Motor Evoked Potential Monitoring (MEP monitoring)

Indication of MEP monitoring is similar to those for SEP monitoring.

Although SEP monitoring is usually sufficient to protect spinal cord damage, there have been cases in which SEP remained unchanged during surgery, but the patient ended up with motor deficit.

This is because SEP deals only with sensory system but not motor system.

Ideal monitoring for spinal cord function is to combine both SEP and MEP monitoring.

MEP is performed by electrically stimulating brain via electrodes placed over the scalp (same electrodes with EEG recording).

High stimulus intensity current is painful if applied during awake but the patient will not perceive any pain during anesthesia.

Responses are recorded from spinal cord or muscles.

MEP monitoring may be avoided in patients who has history of epilepsy or potential seizure risk secondary to various brain diseases or patient who has implanted metallic device in the brain.
  11. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member