anyone ever have a neuroma?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joanng, Oct 15, 2006.

1. joanng

joanng New Member

This is a benign tumor in a nerve in my foot. Actually the nerve is being pinched by two bones and the tip of the nerve forms a balloon like thing. Hurts like hell. I've had 1 shot and should have 2 more. Surgery is an option if the shots don't work. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this and if the shots work. The first day it was numb so it felt better and then it was back to hurting but 3 days in it felt almost totally better but today it hurts again. I can't seem to tell which shoes are making it worse. I know I'm not supposed to wear tight shoes but even my very loose shoes hurt. Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks.

Joann
  2. joanng

joanng New Member

come on, someone has to have had one!
  3. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I HAVE IT ALSO I HAD TO GET SPECIAL INSERTS FOR MY SHOES
    THEY LIFT THE BONES UP SO THE NERVE IS NOT PINCHED
    THE DOCTOR TOLD ME TO NEVER GO BAREFOOT, NO HIGH HEELS
    HAVE YOU SEEN A FOOT DOCTOR FOR IT, I WOULD IF I WERE YOU
    IT GOT TO THE POINT WHERE AT NIGHT I COULDN'T HARDLY WALK TO THE BATHROOM 10 FEET AWAY FROM THE BED

GOOD LUCK
    BARBARA
  4. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I had one.

Your right it hurts like nothing eles. It feels like your stepping and a red hot nail and it is being pushed right threw your foot.

I went for the surgery. My two toes are half numb on either side of the scar but it was well worth it.

Thanks

Bruinz
  5. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Joann~~

I had one in both feet and the one in my left foot got so bad I had to finally have surgery on it to remove the tumor. The shots only lasted a few weeks and then the pain and feeling of the lump would return.

Unfortunately when the Dr's removed the tumor, I was left with alot of scar tissue, and still to this day I can't walk barefoot at all, as I can still feel a lump and pinched nerve in there. It has gotten worse and worse, but I'm afraid to have the Dr's do more surgery and mess it up more because of all the scar tissue again.

It does help to wear the widest shoes possible though to help you control the pain and everything else that comes with it, like numbness, tingling feelings, pain and spasms.

Even though my surgery wasn't the best outcome, you might be a great patient and success with having it done now before it gets really bad, as time does make it worse the more you walk on it.

I wish you all the best as I know how you feel. If you have another shot, it might help some more now than the one shot you had done. Or did you already do that? I had a total of three shots within weeks of each other and that helped my right foot tremendously and no surgery for that foot!!

Best wishes for a full recovery whatever you might do!!
    I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for you!!
    Hugs,
    Shelby
  6. joanng

joanng New Member

Thanks for replying. I didn't realize walking barefoot made it worse. The only shoes that I can manage in are my crocs. They look great with my office attire! I had 2 people stop me in the hallway asking what I was wearing....oh well, at least I'm in the office, right? I got one shot (alcohol and an antiseptic) and I'm scheduled for another one in 2 weeks and then 1 more. He mentioned surgery if the shots don't work and he's going to see if my insurance co will pay for an insert for my shoe. I had 2 bunions removed last year and had a great outcome with this foot dr. so I trust him so far. I know misery loves company but not in this case....I'm sorry you all had to feel this pain. It's funny, I always double check with you guys (the Experts!) before I make any decisions when it comes to my illness. I trust you all more then the medical profession!

joann
  7. jengus

jengus New Member

I sent portion of this message to Joanng on 10/15 and thought it would appear for all to read - I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it only went to her!!

I was diagnosed couple of weeks ago w/Morton's Neuroma. Podiatrist is treating it and seems very interested in Fibromyalgia. He is treating me w/cortisone shots w/ alcohol mixture in both my feet and having me doing exercise to stretch the fascia tendon on bottom of my feet. It hasn't done anything for my feet yet. I go back on 31st for another injection.
    I don't think I have Morton's neuroma - no pain on bottom of my feet ever! My problem is my toes on both feet. My local podiatrist says my problem is genu valgum (from my knee replacements) - knees are "knock-kneed" and my big toes turn outward when I walk and to keep my balance, I turn my toes under (had several of my toes operated on and he removed cartilege and put in pins to make toes straight - I was walking on ends of toes and developed calluses that were extremely painful) That didn't help much and toes are still turning under - so my next surgery w/him would to be to put screw in big toes and Dr. thinks when that is straight then the other toes will not curl under!!!
    After knee replacements on both legs, then surgery on toes on both feet - I'm about ready to give up!!!! I'm going to a new doc whose almost 2 hrs. away and I'm going to stick with him and give him a chance to see if he helps me!!!! I think I'd know if I had a neuroma - I hear the pain in ball of foot is really bad and my pain is in my toes. We'll see!! When you got the l shot, did he give it in top of foot? There was no numbness with the shot in each foot for me. New doc took out my expensive orthotics and wrapped each foot with bandage that holds a pad under my foot - told me to just use the removable insert that came in my Easy Spirit Shoes!!
    Anyone had knee replacements and ended up with my problems with both my feet? Would love to have suggestions from ANYONE with similar problems!!
    Thanks,
    Jengus
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

I had a neuroma removed from my right foot when I was in my twenties. This was successful, but took longer to heal than I had been led to believe. It was worth it. I've had to wear special inserts ever since, and these have enabled me to dodge having surgery on my left foot.
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I had one to develop in my arm pit after I had my lymph nodes removed. They removed it surgically with no problems. I think I have another one now.

I'm glad it was not on my foot. I can't imagine walking on it.
  10. Jill

Jill New Member

I have had twice. My podiatrist gave me a series of 3 shots and did therapy in office worked but takes time!
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes, Joann, I had a neuroma removed when I was in my twenties. I never had the other foot done because at the time it was okay. Now it also has a neuroma. However, since my twenties, worn orthopedic inserts to keep my foot in position. As long as I wear them in my shoes, I'm fine. I even have a pair in my bedroom slippers!

My daghter-in-law had neuromas removed from both of her feet.