ANYONE EVER HAVE PAIN IN THE COCCYX(tail bone)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAM57, Jun 5, 2006.

1. CAM57

CAM57 New Member

It hurts so bad. It isn't the S/I joint but the coccyz.Can't sit back or for more than 5 mins. Can't lay flat on back at all. Sleep on stomach.HELP! PLease!
    CAM
  2. kel78

kel78 Member

Yes! I've been having this pain a lot lately. Actually, I'm having bad pain all over these days, which makes sitting or lying down extremely painful. I can't even put my feet up on an ottoman or my leg pain becomes unbearable and is usually accompanied by restless leg.

But amidst this bodywide pain, I'm definitely noticing times when it feels like I've fallen on my backside. I don't know if it's the time of year (weather changes) or what, but it's a real pain!

Wishing you the best,
    Mary
  3. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I broke my tailbone many years ago. What they suggested for me to do is buy a "donut cushion". It is a cushion with a hole cut out so that your tailbone doesn't touch anything.

I have a lot of other back pain also. I always sleep with a couple of pillows under my knees. I don't know if that would help you, but it might be worth a try.

I hope this helps.

Glafdy
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I fell years ago, and I think I broke my tailbone

It was very painful to sit or lay down for about a year
  5. tanu

tanu New Member

I had this when i was a teenager.It was after i had spent some time sitting on a hard marble floor for a ceremeony which lasted 2 days.It was hell after that.
    I saw the orthopaedic surgeon,I had an Xray ,they said it was inflammation of the Coccyx bone.He advised using a cushion with a hole,Seitz baths(water bath with warm water and salt) and antiinflammatory drugs.
    Whe the pain got worse, i saw a surgeon and it turned out to be a Pilonidal Sinus.It was actually an abscess which developed from the inside out.They had to operate on the abscess under anasthesia.
    Please see a doctor and get a diagnosis first.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Everybody had a good chuckle when I did it. First day on vacation about 14 years ago.

Now, I figure that I have arthritis as I have pain there frequently, especially during weather changes.

Is it possible you cracked it?

7. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

years ago I got threw from a horse and hurt my tail bone I"ve bought those black cuchsion at walgreens and i use one in the car and one in my chair it helps alot, there about 20.00. i also use them when we go to outdoor events for my lawn chair. sixtyslady
  8. BabyArtina

BabyArtina New Member

I was giveing birth to my little girl. It broke and 15 months later still hurts...nothing to do for it..sounds like you may have broke it...have your Dr X-ray it then you will know...GL
  9. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

How interesting that so many of us have had this! It was years ago- I was 17. But I have had the pain there recently too.

I wonder if fibro doesnt cause all these "old" wounds to hurt again?
  10. Yes it is killing me right now. I am taking 4 advil at a time, (pharmacist said its Okay( . That pain has to be the worst. I have had injections as an out patient before and it helps for awhile. use an ice pack and alternate with heat sometimes.
  11. CAM57

CAM57 New Member

Thanks Everyone,
    I am new to Fibro. Old to pain. New to this forum. I have an appt. to be seen at Shands(University of Florida)June 27. My Dr. here is crazy. He can't decide what is going on...one day it is poss. Lupus. Then the next visit it is Ankylosing Spondilitis and Fibro and Osteo. Then the next visit it is Enterpathic Spondilitis and Fibro. I am on no meds. I hurt all the time now. I am too young for all this mess(49). Maybe the Drs. there will finally make a dx. and help me.
    CAM
  12. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

X-ray showed osteoarthritis in my tailbone. Sometimes I have to kind of roll on the floor in order to stand up when I get out of bed.

Tigger
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Cam:

I have that pain sometimes from a very old injury. Yes: painful.

Mine is not FM related, but was hurt in an accident from forty years ago. It does hurt less now, but when it happened I found if impossible to sit well in any position.

nyrofan
  14. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Yes, I have had it since I got sick 2 1/2 years ago. I get major relief from Lidoderm patches. My doctor usually prescribes 120 at a time (which is 4 boxes). My co-pay covers all 4 at once. I would highly recommend trying this.

Most medicines do nothing for me but this has done wonders for my extremely painful tailbone.

Good Luck! If you try this let me know how it works for you!
    Hope
  15. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Mine started 28 years ago when I had my first daughter , and even though I had a epidural I felt it when her head came down and I heard that SNAP of the bone as it broke and I FELT IT TOO DISPITE OF HAVING A HEAVY EPIDURAL.

But I had a rough delievery with the oldest daughter as I hemmoraged for a couple of hours after having her. And they had taken out my IV's and could not get a new one started to it was not plesant for me to go threw. And it still causes me pain all these years later.

My doctor used to tease me telling me that having my daughter was a pain in the butt and it was a huge pain.
    So I passed that on to the daughter when she would get onery as a teenager and i told her that she broke my tail bone when she was born so she was a pain in the butt.

I would make sure that she knew I was just teasing her about it as there was nothing she could have done about it. Maybe she should have just turned her head the right waay adn it wouldn not have happended to me.That did not happen . So I have lived with siacita for many years now and it is still a pain in the butt.

OH by the way this daughter weighed 8 lbs 6 oz at birth. MY doctor lied when he said that first babies were small.. My second daughter was 3 weeks early and weighed 6 lbss 5 oz. And the last daughter was 7 lbs 4 oz. and she was 14 days early. My oldest was born on her due date. Don't know it the weights of the kids makes any difference or not. as my tail bone still hurts at times.

Rosemarie
  16. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I was happy to see this thread. I have broken my tail bone in the past and suffered with it for many years but that has been many years ago.

My husband, who has also been told he has FM, has been having lot of pain in the tail bone. They sent him to a surgeon thinking he had a cyst but he did not. They did an Cat Scan and found nothing. He is still is in a great deal of pain.

He travels a great deal for his job and drives hundreds of miles a week and he is really suffering. He is on Fentanyl patches for his severe disc and trigger point pain and they are not helping with this.

If you find an answer, please send an email to me. Just type my name in the title and I will check in when I am able.

I feel so sorry for him. He feels like giving up on doctor's now.

17. jen_miester27

jen_miester27 New Member

i had the same thing happen, my son weighed 8lbs, 6oz, and i had no epideral or pain meds, due to a blood disorder they wouldnt let me have one. well of course they broke my tailbone, and he was stuck, nurses had to push on both sides of me, to try and push him down. after finally getting him out, i hemorraged as well, and had to have 4 units of blood, which broke me out into hives, oh it was crazy! but he was well worth it. but i still have the tailbone pain! ouch!
  18. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

But I also had to have a pilonidal sinus tract surgery too.Both are a pain in the butt,literally.LOL.
  19. Has anyone found anything that helps the pain? I try and bend down slowly and touch the floor to see if stretching helps, sometimes it does, sometimes NOT!