ANyone ever heard of combining antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AC77, May 5, 2003.

1. AC77

AC77 New Member

I hope I can get some feedback. I am taking both amoxicillan 500mg PO BID and tetracycline 500mg PO BID at the same time. I have heard and used 2 different antibiotics at the same time but I thought these 2 were contraindicated as they mitigate each others actions?

The reason I am taking them is because my internist told me to take both of them until I can see him in a few days. I told him what I had on hand. The Cipro didn't work, which was a shocker for me. He insisted this combo was broad spectrum and not harmful.... All I know is I feel sicker than before and tired and question his logic. All the medical texts say this is not an appropriate combination but off lable and practical use, I believe often overrides standard text in many cases

PLEASE, let me know.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know that some docs use combos in treating the mycoplasmas, but I'm not knowledgeable about combining these two.

Penacillin-type meds do not work against the mycoplasmas.

Love, Mikie
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

My husband had to. He took Amoxicillan and one of the "Mycins", I believe it was Biaxin.

I found this:

Antibiotic combinations that prevent resistance include: (1) anti-pseudomonal penicillin (carbenicillin) + aminoglycoside (gentamicin, tobramycin, amikacin); (2) rifampin + other TB drugs (INH, ethambutol, pyrazinamide); and (3) 5-flucytosine + amphotericin B.

Commonly used antibiotic combinations that do not prevent resistance include: (1) TMP-SMX; (2) ceftazidime in combination with any other antibiotic; (3) ciprofloxacin in combination with any other antibiotic; (4) imipenem in combination with any other antibiotic; (5) most other antibiotic combinations.

I also found this:

(1997) In a recent study, Cynthia Boschman, M.D., and the other members of the (Northwestern University Medical School) group studied whether there would be synergy against various strains of antibiotic-resistant enterococci using high-dose ampicillin or ampicillin/sulbactam and a newer drug, trovafloxacin, a fluoroquinolone. Ampicillin and ampicillin/sulbactam are cell-wall-active antibiotics, i.e., they work by "punching a hole" in the cell wall of bacteria and killing it.

They performed synergy testing using the three drugs alone and in combination against 24 unrelated strains of vancomycin-resistant enterococci.

The combination of trovafloxacin and ampicillin/sulbactam showed synergy in two of 10 strains of Enterococcus faecalis, while no synergy was seen in any of the 14 strains of E. faecium. Using the combination of trovafloxacin and ampicillin, no synergy was seen in any strain of VRE.

Hope this helps,
    Lane

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2003]