Anyone ever quit Narcotics and feel better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RicksChic, Sep 3, 2006.

1. RicksChic

RicksChic New Member

I currently take 40mg Kadian twice a day, (have been for 6 months), and have reached the point where I feel as bad if I didn't take it at all. Has anyone gotten fed up with Narcotics, and relied on supplements, and non-conventional methods....and feel better than before?

Today is the first day I've been out of bed in 4 days! The pain was so bad in my legs and back, that I could hardly walk. I had to call off work (I'm a nurse in a Nursing Home) and fear I'm going to lose my job, because the pain and fatigue has affected my work performance. I can't afford to fight for disability. And while I was laying in bed, in relentless pain, I thought the only answer was to "take the black pill" as one of my patients puts it...end my life. I'm 45 years old. What kind of wife, mother and grandmother can I be in this state?

Thanks for listening.
  2. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

iam with you i am just getting worse everyday and can't afford to fight for disability but i probably won't have a job for long if i keep comming home or calling in and i only work 3 days a week.
    all our bills are paid out of my husbands check but mine buys food my meds and what xtras i buy but can't afford so what do you do?
    let me know if you find an answer. hope you feel better take care
    glenda
  3. RicksChic

RicksChic New Member

Thanks for responding. And while I don't wish this upon anyone, it's somehow comforting to know there are others that can understand what I'm going through.

I've been reading this board for over a year and never posted. There was enough info to go through to keep me busy!

Another symptom that has grown by at least 50% in the last couple months is brain fog/short-term memory problems, and difficulty finding words. People are amazed at my long-term memory, and if I do remember something recent, I'm never wrong--but it makes me nuts to have to keep my brain on a piece of paper, if you know what I mean!

Has anyone found something that TRUELY improved brain fog?

Thanks,

Kim
  4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Kim,

Yes, I was taking narcotics for my severe, disabling FM pain back in 2003. I think I took them for a period of about 9 months. I always felt like the pain meds "took the edge off" my pain, but never really helped significantly. But at the time, I was SO miserable that I reasoned that ANY pain relief was better than none!

I ended up seeking treatment for my pain at a very well-respected/ well-known University/ Hospital Pain Clinic. It is their position that narcotics are not an appropriate treatment for Fibro pain. They took me off my narcotic med. I tried taking an anti-seizure med for my FM, but I could not tolerate the side-effects. That clinic couldn't offer me any other treatment. I have since sought help from other Dr's who have treated in a combination of traditional & alternative ways.

In retrospect, I can now look back & see that the narcotics were majorly killing my already irritated stomach. (I struggle with chronic Gastritis.) I remember having severe stomach pain that could not be relieved. My pain levels were also worse back then as compared to now...Of course, I am no longer able to work & if I over do things physically, I can creep up there on the pain scale.

I am currently working with a Fibro Dr. by treating underlying conditions. This treatment includes many natural supps/ vitamins, T3 hormone & antibiotics. I still use muscle relaxers every day, but truthfully, I doubt that they are helping much anymore. I'm considering tapering off of them if they aren't helping.

We are all different, of course...But in my case, I have felt better off the narcotics. I'm so sorry you are having such terrible pain. I can relate. I used to work in the medical field & loved my job very much. Nursing is a very physically demanding job! (Especially at a nursing home! I was an aide at 4 nursing homes in my younger years.)

I know it can be so discouraging...I hope that you can receive good treatment somewhere. Don't give up! I am now on disability & altho' I'd love to be able to work again...I know that for right now I can't. I DO volunteer at the hospital once a week & this brings me great joy & a feeling of purpose outside the home.

Soft Hugs & Blessings,
    Annie