Anyone ever seen an Internal Medicine Doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Sep 17, 2009.

  1. loto

    loto Member

    Just wonder if anyone's ever seen an Internal Medicine doctor for FM?
    Since I'm not having any luck with my Primary Doctor in getting to the root of all my symptoms, I wonder if this type of doctor may be able to help more.

  2. loto

    loto Member

    if students would study more of the integrative meds.
    I think it would also be good if insurance companies would pay for vitamins and supplements if a doctor ordered them. Of course I don't know what that would do to the whole health insurance system, if anything, but I wish it would be done.
    Most supplements aren't very expensive, but at this point my finances are extremely strained and I am putting off trying those types of things for my problems. I am fortunate enough to have excellent health insurance right now, and the most I've ever had to pay for my prescriptions is $12.
    That's my opinion!
  3. debilyn

    debilyn New Member

    Hi Loto,

    My PCP is an Internal Medicine doctor. She sent me to a Rhuemy for a diagnosis/treatment and didn't/doesn't treat me for the FM.

    I guess it depends on the particular doctor and what he or she is comfortable treating.

  4. jaynesez

    jaynesez New Member

    my PCP is an internal medicine doc, and quite frankly, he sucks! LOL, I shouldn't be that harsh on him, he is a nice man, but if you aren't an eighty year old diabetic then he can't help you... He dx'd me in 2006 with "FM/CFS" (is it one, or the other, they aren't the same) and told me there was nothing to be done, to exercise and take vitamins. Now, while that is good advice, it's only a quarter of the picture, and he didn't tell me anything about it, had to learn all I know online, and according to SSDI, they won't accept this dx from a GP, or PCP. So there you have it, save your $$!
    Good Luck sweetie
  5. loto

    loto Member

    Wow, I'm glad you told me about the SSDI.
    I was diagnosed by a neurologist that I have FM. And will be getting a referral to see an endo to check out my thyroid levels.
    I was just wondering if an Internal Doc might know other things to look for to rule in or out!

    Thanks for all the experiences and advice.
  6. Yes a internal med dr is the one who diagnosed me 30 yrs ago. He was great, back then I had a muscle biopsy to look for other problems. It showed inflammation in the muscle and then it was called fibromyositis. (now they say there is no inflammation in fibro?)

    He ran alot of tests and got to the bottom of your problems whatever they may be. Nowdays drs aren't allowed to do that as insurance co. dont go for it. he has retired since. Try an internal dr, although he didn't give me any meds back then and back then it eased off and wasn't bad like I have it now. Then there wasn't much known about fibro.
  7. jasminetee

    jasminetee Member

    Wow fibrobutterfly, I wonder if our muscles are inflamed when they hurt because of FMS. That is amazing. Now Insurance companies can't do tests like that on us? What part of your body was your muscle biopsy taken from and was it hurting you at the time? Fibro pain comes and goes so much, do you think the inflammation comes and goes too? If so, they'd have to biopsy the right muscle at the right time right?

  8. they did the top of my arm, my entire body hurt at the time . its hard to say what he was thinking it may be, he just said fibromyositis and I said whats that and he said inflammation of the muscles. Remember that was 30 yrs ago so who knows. although I do believe our muscles are inflamed even though they say not.
  9. suzannekart

    suzannekart New Member

    I have been seeing an Internal Medicine dr for several years. I was very happy with him untill last year when I was in the hospital for severe depression. When I saw him again he was really different toward me. Hostile and just plain nasty. I since have discovered he does not "beleive" in mental illiness or in the medication to treat it. He is always very angry with me and yells at me anytime I need a refill on pain meds{ very rarely take}. He as much as acused me of getting to sell on the streets.
    Needless to say I am searching for a new dr. I live in Vancouver, Wash. so if anyone knows of someone in the area please let me know.
  10. jmq

    jmq New Member

    She was the FIRST doctor to finally diagnose me and put me on the right meds. ( Cymbalta and Tramadol ). That was about three years ago and now I am other meds.

    I still go to her in addition to my Rhuemy.

  11. pjj

    pjj New Member

    I was diagnosed ( sort of ) by an IM but did not feel as if he knew that much or was interested in really finding out more. He did prescribe Trazadone for sleep. Had 1 test to determine if it was Arthritis which came back negative but did not see a Rheumatologist.
    I think a lot depends on the Dr. and if he is educated in this area.
  12. jole

    jole Member

    That so many people are diagnosed without any tests run to rule out other diseases. Without ruling out other things, how than they be sure it's FM? The symptoms are soo similar to other things...such as Lupus, MS, etc.

    I was diagnosed by a neurologist, who wouldn't tell me a darn thing without a MRI, CT scan, lab work, tender point exam, etc. At that time my pain was so severe I couldn't walk without assist, balance was totally off, and no cognitive function to speak of at all.

    I also went to a rheumy who asked what tests I'd had done, and said he wouldn't treat or diagnose without them either. He was very happy to hear I'd had them done.

    Then came more docs than I want to count internal medicine, primary care, etc....with no relief, but plenty of meds. And it's true, you have to do your own research, then find one that basically allows you to "teach" them. This site saved me, 'cause I found out nothing from the docs, even the ones who "professed" to know about FM.

    So, once all the initial tests are done, you really have to "shop" for a doc who really knows how to treat and understands this DD. It's much more than just a word game.

    When it comes to SSDI, yes...the more docs you see, and the more tests you have done, the better your chances are if you ever need to file for disability. So...with that being said, whenever you go to the doc or have any tests run, always, always get a copy of the report for your own personal record at home. You will need these later. This is probably the most important advice I can give anyone.

    Wishing you well.....................Jole

[ advertisement ]