Anyone experience any vision problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Sep 5, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

As of late, I have experienced some blurry vision. I realize this is said not to be an FMS symptom. But thought I would check in and see what other FMS'ers have experienced? This was very scary because one occurance was while driving at night.
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't know where you heard that it is not a symptom of FM, but it is. If you do a search with the word "vision" and look in the titles, you will see many posts on this.

I have the same problems with my eyes getting blurry, especially when I am tired. There was a post recently going on about vision problems and something someone was calling a "focusing spasm". I have that too, if I am understanding what it is. Sometimes when changing focus from near to far or vice versa, it hurts.

I was told it has to do with the smooth muscles in your eyes (eye problems). This was in response to my questioning about vision problems also after I had gotten glasses for blurry vision, thinking it was time (I was 40) and 2 weeks later I found I could not see out of them anymore, because my vision was fine!!!!

I thought, whose eyesight gets BETTER???? LOL

Sonya
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have had to change my glasses 3 times this yr. My eye doctor said it has to do with FM.Never told me why it does.
    Hopping not to change again . It gets expensive I'm not covered for glasses under my ins.
    I would have them checked If I was you.Don't make them worst by staining to see.
    Good Luck
    Sue
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have terrible trouble with my vision & have the whole time I've had CFS/FMS.
    I get black spots, pulsing, blurring, my vision 'bounces' when I walk, halo's around things, flashes of light, double vision, & photosensitivity.
  5. skyeone

skyeone New Member

I have terrible problems with my eyes. It takes me a few minutes to adjust my eyes from looking near to far etc. It is also rather painful. For me it is also FM, but with an extra problem of the nerves not just the muscles.

This causes my eyes to split slightly. Thankfully, it's not noticeable to anyone without the right equipment. I now have 3 pairs of glasses so that I can use the right prescription as needed. Generally speaking I have to change which pair I'm wearing about every 6 months. Not Fun!!! The worst part is that right at the moment, I believe I need a new pair, but I can't afford to go to the optometrist again.

Sucks doesn't it!?!

Sorry for the complaining, but your prob IS FM.
    Skye
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I will have trouble reading because of blurred vision. I think this happens when I am tired. Or maybe the muscles around my eyes are tired from using them all day?

Ellen
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Sue, I gave up on the prescription and have glasses from the Dollar Store in 1.25, 1.50 and 1.75.

Ellen,
    My problem is the same. It is mostly in the evening when my eyes are tired that they will get blurry. I slap on the glasses for reading and so far, so good.

Love,
    Sonya
  8. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

The reason I asked about the vision issue is because now I am afraid to drive at night. Driving provides me with freedom I don't have physically. It really has upset me that I may have to curtail driving. It just seems that FMS has invaded every aspect of my life. I'm just really ANGRY about it. Wished I had a really GOOD outlet for that ANGER.
  9. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

It is very troublesome. I get mad at myself which is so dumb. I can't drive at night anymore at all. Anything with a reflectant surface doubles, like do not pass or the yellow diamonds.

I was told by the disability insurance that my vision problems didn't stop me from doing my job. I work with patients bloodwork. Isn't that insane. So naturally I am appealing. Probably won't help.
  10. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Have had problems with vision every since FMS and CFS...

My eyes tend to go Blurry and also get the Black Spots and very senstive to bright light...

I too have come to the point I hardely EVER will drive at night...Husband does most of the driving anymore.

Hugs
    Bluerose
  11. Sunrise2780

Sunrise2780 New Member

Besides the fact that I can't wear my glasses b/c of facial pain, yrs ago I had visual "changing" problems when I tried to use contact lenses. "We" couldn't figure out these changes & finally my vision settled down.

My problem at present is convincing a transportation service for the disabled, that besides pain, cognitive problems, etc - that I have visual problems (incl difficulty seeing at nite - yet not dx'd w/nite vision).

I searched for documents on this and it was difficult finding some even though visual symptoms are common. Here are some sites I found.

1. http://fibromyalgia.ncf.ca/dseye.htm

2. http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr3-article02.asp (Visual Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - By Lesley J. Vedelago, O.D.)

3. http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr3-article02.asp (Visual Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia - Lesley J. Vedelago, O.D)

4. From a 1996 posting on a public ng:

While reading back through an extended group of posts, looking for as much info as possible, I kept coming across posts about vision problems. Naturally, as an Optometrist, I read all of these, although I myself have had no vision problems.

Making a general post to all of you who have reported vision problems: For all FM/CFS patients who seem to be having vague visual symptoms- vision slightly blurred, only blurred sometimes, eyes tire easily, seem to be "pulling", print sometimes blurs, distance vision not predictable, etc - I strongly suggest that you find an Optometrist rather than an Ophthalmologist and specifically an Optometrist who specializes in functional vision.

Most Ophthalmologists and many Optometrists today evaluate eyes from a "medical" model- if there's no disease present then it should work. (Sound familiar?) A functionally oriented Optometrist looks at vision primarily from a sensory viewpoint- how the information gets to the brain, and does it do so clearly and comfortable. Do the eye muscles work well together to facilitate vision? What kind of prescription is most appropriate for the patients multiple needs and activities? This is the perspective of a functional OD- and clearly the most appropriate type of eye doctor to deal with the ramifications of CFS/FM.

Even without CFS/FM I get angry when I hear that people have treatable vision problems that are ignored because "your eyes are healthy". Perfectly healthy eyes can still have focusing problems and muscle imbalances.

I hope this is of some help. I know for me it was just right!! Now I'm looking for this type of optomologist.
  12. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

do you take topamax for fibro?

I know one of the side effects can be eye pain and vision changes.

for me, the vision problems settled down after a few months.

If you don't take topamax, you might want to check side effects of your meds, and if you find nothing there, and this is a new symptom, and you have had fibro for a while, it may be worth being checked for diabetes - a co-worker's only symptom for diabetes was blurry vision - but I think there are usually many other symtoms first.
  13. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

have blurred vision & ive had it for 9 years now.
    I asked my doc what was causing it & she said that because im on such a strong cocktail of drugs thats whats causing it.
    It has gone worse over the years but in december last year my consultant put me on some very very stong tablets.
    They have made my blurred vision worse.
    Hope this helps fibrolady37.
  14. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi ElizaJane

I get dreadful blurred vision when I get tired. I've been suffering from it since I was diagnosed with Fibro/CFS 6 years ago and can usually manage it by not getting too tired. I too can't drive at night anymore and often I'm a bit sus during the day too. No kerb is safe!

I found my eyes were getting slowly worse and my Dr suggested I get 1 contact lens which I did and since then have had no probs with distance/reading just the blurred vision!

So in answer to your question, I say definately yes, it is a fibro/CFS symptom.

Cheers Jana