Anyone experience mouth pain with FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cj368, Dec 26, 2006.

1. cj368

cj368 New Member

I'm new to this board. I was diagnosed with FM a few months after my second daughter was born in April. I've had severe migraines and joint pain. Recently, I've started getting mouth/tooth pain. I have had some dental work done, however, this pain moves around my mouth. It is so uncomfortable and was wondering if this is part of FM or something else. I've been reading your posts for a few weeks now and appreciate knowing others who understand.

Thanks,
    cj368
  2. Summit

Summit New Member

Hi. I have had episodes where I get shooting pain from one tooth to another, top bottom etc. just random shooting pains. Very weird. My chiro says yes it's fibro. My dentist just thought I was crazy when I mentioned it. It happens randomly, just whenever. I take good care of my teeth, always have, so it's not a tooth problem. It's more like the nerves are firing pain signals for no reason.
    also, this past year I was having mouth pain/tongue pain. Felt like I had burned my tongue. When I mentioned this to my doc, so looked and said, Oh, it's geographic tongue. It's like psorisis of the tongue/mouth. She said it is not that uncommon, and she has seen it in other fibro sufferers. she gives me a concoction of liquid benadryl, maalox, and liquid lidocaine. to swish around. It takes the pain away. As far as I know, there's no cure. IT is not catchy or anything like that. Good luck
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Yes, I've had a lot of mouth discomfort that doesn't involve teeth or gums, just soreness. Usually, it's at the back of the tongue where there are some lymph glands. I've wondered if it were the glands. However, I think it's part of the sensitivity to pain from FMS. I also have lupus, but my rheumatologist didn't think it was related to that. So .... simply the increased sensitivity to pain that is FMS!

Also, I have TMJD in the left jaw and that can hurt quite a bit. Many FMS people have TMJD.
  4. zoekenyon

zoekenyon New Member

I have a tmj problem along with Fibro/CF, which causes my tongue to get so tired I can hardly chew or swallow sometimes. When I was being treated by a Physical Therapist using the Myofacial Release method, the muscles inside my mouth at the back of my tongue was manipulated and gave some temporary relief in my chewing ability and it relieved some of the pain and fatigue in my face.
    Once I learned from my Chiropractor that a highly acidic body is present in most people of ill health I began to read more about the body's PH and I learned about the need to Detoxify and to exclude foods and beverages with highly acidic content,ie;Sugar and Colas.
    I used to drink two (2) 2Litre bottles of Pepsi every day. I noticed that during these times I always had medium to large sized lumps on either side of my tongue that were very sore especially when I talked or even swallowed. And when I looked up the condition, Acidophilus, in a book that I have called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" it listed the symptoms that I was having. So, unfortunately, NO MORE PEPSI for me...well maybe one glass every few months or so.
    Keep Hope Alive
    Zoe
  5. kotomme1

kotomme1 New Member

Hi I have Jaw Pain,tightness and stiffness but I
    was diagnosed with TMJ get that checked out at the
    dentist. I wouldn't doubt that having fibro has someting
    to do with it as well.I have fibro and cfs.

Kotomme1
  6. kotomme1

kotomme1 New Member

Hi I have Jaw Pain,tightness and stiffness but I
    was diagnosed with TMJ get that checked out at the
    dentist. I wouldn't doubt that having fibro has someting
    to do with it as well.I have fibro and cfs.

Kotomme1
  7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i haven't had the mouth pain that you describe but my teeth seem to be hyper sensitive. rinsing my mouth after i brush my teeth is painful if i use cold water. also when i have to get any sort of dental work i get severe headaches afterward and my mouth seems to hurt for days from the irritation. i think this dd makes us more sensitive to things that would only be slightly uncomfortable to people who are normal.
    rachel
  8. zoekenyon

zoekenyon New Member

My teeth have become super-sensitive also. I get relief from Colgate's Sensitive teeth formula. I use one tube and the switch back to the regular formula. It seems to help.

zoe