Anyone extremely sensitive to smell

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Reidsbeads, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

I have noticed that I tend to smell things so much easier than I ever did, which actually probably saved my familys life. Our heater was letting out this aweful smell and no one beleived me til it started to burn on and up the side.
    Then after it was checked and cleaned I would walk by it and smell the propane... once again everyone telling me I was nuts. I stopped complaining until I left one day for about an hour or so and when I came back and opened the door the smell just knocked me back, of course no one else could smell it but me So I called the propane company and they told me to spray all the fittings with soapy water which I did. I found 3 very large leaks in the heater which stunned everyone!! I can also smell mold from a mile away and other things and while it can be quite annoying sometimes it may have saved our lives, however we actually lost our pet mouse during this time. He got rather lethargic and wouldn't eat and a couple days later he was dead. That is when the heater was so clogged it was emmitting carbon-dioxcide. That could have been us!
    Sometimes the sesitivity to smell is a god send and others not so much, cause food sometimes the smell makes me queezy and then i wont eat which is bad cause i dont eat right anyway and that just makes it worse.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2007]
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

a lot of us are sensitive to smell i for one have multiple chemical sensitivity although i was never formally dx with it smells drive me insane i can smell dog poop three houses away pretty weird huh? my hubby is always saying what smell i cant be around perfumes gas nail polish dryer sheets or laundry detergent with scents hope this helps charlene
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

My hubby laughs because I am always the first to detect an offensive odor. At first, I too, thought it was pregnancy because it happened then.

Have a great day!
  4. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I never thought of myself having chemical sensitivity, but I can relate with the smells.
    If my sheets or pillowcase or even the blanket, doesn't smell just right, I can't sleep.
    When we travel, if the hotel room doesn't smell just right, I can't sleep. The towels bother me sometimes. Even new clothes bother me.
    I live in Florida and can smell blossoms that no one else can - that's a nice thing.
    My husband thinks I'm just weird, but at least he believes me now.
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I became chemically sensitive after a bout of weird viruses several years ago.

Whilst I am nowhere near as sensitive as I was initially, I still react to strong chemical fragrances and feel nauseous, get a headache, funny taste in mouth and sometimes get a rash and sore nostrils! I can get dizzy with it too.

It's no fun and I had a hard time convincing my hubby that it wasn't in my head - I think he believes me now and makes an effort - my Mum hasn't a clue even though I try to explain it to her. She wears so many creams and uses such strong washing powder that I can't have her visit here until she "gets it" and makes an effort to use less smelly stuff.

I think quite a few here have this problem to varying degrees.

Hugs Bunchy x