Anyone familiar with Cymbalta? UPDATE: it's CELEXA (I'm ticked)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MomE0512, Sep 20, 2006.

1. MomE0512

MomE0512 New Member

UPDATE #2
    Ok, you'd think I would have checked this earlier (I'm blaming my brain fog), but my prescription bottle says Celexa!! I called my pharmacy to find out if they made a mistake because I know my Dr said she was putting my on Cymbalta (my hubby heard her too), and they pulled up the prescription, and it wasn't a mistake. She told me she was going to put me on Cymbalta, and then wrote a script for Celexa!!!! I can't even believe this! I can't wait to see my new Dr.

Hi,
    I've been taking Lexapro for about a year now, but my insureance will no longer cover it because there are no generics. My Dr. (whom I don't trust, and am currently looking for a new one) has switched me to Cymbalta. Anyone have any experience with this drug? I would love to hear what you have to say. I have to start taking it in about 5 days.
    Thanx
    Jessie

UPDATE....
    Ok, This is my second day on it and I can not sleep!! I'm going nuts here. It is 4:30 am, and I can't sleep even though I'm exhausted. My brain is going like the squirrel in the movie "Hoodwinked". The thoughts are just flying through my brain and don't make much sense. Someone tell me this isn't permanant!! I'm going to be a zombie (more so than usual anyway) tomorrow. This is gonna work well with my 2 year old running around...
    Ok, I'm gonna stop belly-aching now, and try to go to sleep...again...
    your frustrated friend
    Jessie[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  2. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Jessie,

I've been taking Cymbalta for 2 years or more. Was taking Lexapro before that. I am taking it for depression, but I understand that FM doctors often prescribe Cymbalta for pain.

Everyone is different when it comes to a drug reaction, so with that said, the Cymbalta for me was no different that Lexapro.

Hope this helps.

MCA
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2006]
  3. MomE0512

MomE0512 New Member

Thanx for your fast reply :)
    I think what I'm really nervous about, is that the readup that came from the pharmacy on Cymbalta didn't say anything about it being an antianxiety med in addition to antidep. And I definitely need to antianx part. Did you find an increase in your anxiety when you switched?
    Thanx
    Jessie
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Hello, I'm a man, ok. I say this for a reason. Reason: Cymbalta was about to run out it's patenent when some pharm genious decided that it treats pain. Therefore were able to get a new patent. I have no problem w/ ingenuity. In fact I'm into it. Anyway, after research, they found it to only relieve pain in women. Well, my Dr. prescribed it to me and I almost immediately told him no thanks. So I'm now testing another. I don't believe any of them really do as they claim
  5. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I have been on Cymbalta now for 1 month. My doctor prescribed it for pain and depression. It has been wonderful. I have not noticed any increase or decrease in anxiety and believe I may need to go back on Zoloft for that. However, I believe there is no generic for Cymbalta either. I am waiting to hear from my insurance on that aspect as my copay is $22 for a script instead of the usual $9. My Doctor had to fax them special information as to why I am taking it.

Hope this helps.
    Phyliss
  6. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'm trying Lyrica, it has a similar story on the patent. I have to take such a large dose that it would send some screaming. You want to know the best relief for pain? "80s HAIR BANDS."
  7. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I am also taking Ativan (.5 at night) for anxiety along w/Cymbalta. Again, everyone is different, and I have no problem w/switching quickly from one anti-depressant to another. My doctor is amazed that I do that w/no consequence and I have taken every known anti-depressant there is.

My theory is to try it out. If you feel badly, immediately call your doctor.

Good luck!
    MCA
  8. MomE0512

MomE0512 New Member

Thanx everyone :)
    Jessie
  9. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I knew as soon as I took the first dose that cymbalta was going to help me with pain (I am a women). I was on Paxil before cymbalta. I went off the Paxil but am now back on a low does for anxiety along with the cymbalta.

We are all different so you just need to try it. It does work for many but not for others.
  10. MomE0512

MomE0512 New Member

11. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

My doctor had to change my dose for nightime. It made me sleep all day. I still wake up at 2AM but I have no more daytime symtoms.

Hope you are doing ok with it by now, Teresa
  12. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Yes I experienced this but got used to the drug overtime. Are you taking it in the morning? Maybe your dose should be cut back.

I think I have read that some quit taking it because of this. If I remember my Doc warned me about this and said it would last about 2 weeks. For me, she was right.
  13. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I take it in the morning and it seems to help me. It don't put me to sleep. I havn't tried taking it at night so I am not sure how I would react to it at bedtime but maybe talk to your dac about taking it in the morning to see if that helps...Good luck....Mick!!
  14. cbella

cbella New Member

I have been off the board for over a month now and just read your thread. I take cymbalta in the morning and it doesn't give me any side effects. It did help the pain when I first went on it. I don't know if it still works because I have so much pain some days, but I'm afraid to go off. The dr. said I could take it twice a day, but it's too expensive and I didn't notice any more improvement when I tried that. I never had a depression problem, but that's another reason I don't want to go off. I'm afraid the FM/CFS could make me down in the dumps, if I stopped it, so I just stay on it. Have you changed the time you're taking it now? God Bless........CB
  15. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Hi there,

I had the same problem when I started Cymbalta. My doctor told me to take it (and my singulair) in the morning and I have not had any problems with it.

You may want to try moving your dose to morning...if it's ok with your doctor.

Dawn
  16. starduzt24_07

starduzt24_07 New Member

i know you were asking about some of the side effects of cymbalta and that some of the ways you were reacting to the medication was not listed in the information they provided you but maybe this will help.... oh yeah, also cymbalta also a name for Duloxetine. Duloxetine is the chemical name of cymbalta.. hope this helps you..

Duloxetine capsules

What are Duloxetine capsules?
    DULOXETINE (Cymbalta®) is an antidepressant, a medicine that helps to lift mental depression. Duloxetine may also be prescribed for other uses as decided by your health care provider. Generic duloxetine capsules are not yet available.

What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
    They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
    •alcohol (ethanol) use
    •anorexia or weight loss
    •attempted suicide
    •high blood pressure or heart problems
    •kidney or liver disease
    •mania or bipolar disorder
    •an unusual reaction to duloxetine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
    •pregnant or trying to get pregnant
    •breast-feeding

How should this medicine be used?
    Take duloxetine capsules by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the capsules whole with a drink of water; do not open or chew the capsules. You may take the duloxetine capsules with food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking the capsules except on your prescriber's advice.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose?
    If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose and skip the missed dose. Do not take double or extra doses.

What drug(s) may interact with duloxetine?
    •alcohol
    •amphetamine
    •certain migraine headache medicines (almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan)
    •dextroamphetamine
    •doxercalciferol
    •furazolidone
    •linezolid
    •lithium
    •medicines for heart rhythm or blood pressure
    •medications for weight control or appetite
    •medicines called MAO inhibitors-phenelzine (Nardil®), tranylcypromine (Parnate®), isocarboxazid (Marplan®)
    •other medicines for mental depression, mania, psychosis, or anxiety
    •procarbazine
    •selegiline
    •St. John's wort, Hypericum perforatum

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from receiving Duloxetine?
    Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
    •abdominal (stomach) pain or tenderness
    •dark or brown urine
    •difficulty breathing
    •fainting spells
    •itching
    •mania (over-active behavior); inability to sleep
    •rash
    •restlessness, inability to sleep, or severe loss of sleep
    •thoughts of suicide or of harming yourself
    •unexplained 'flu-like' symptoms
    •vomiting
    •yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
    •dry mouth
    •constipation
    •dizziness
    •drowsiness
    •headache
    •increased sweating or flushing
    •loss of appetite, loss of weight
    •loss of sexual desire, erectile, or orgasm dysfunction
    •nausea
    •weakness or tiredness
    •weight gain or weight loss

What should I watch for while taking duloxetine?
    Visit your prescriber or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You may have to take duloxetine for 4 weeks before you feel better. If you have been taking duloxetine for some time, do not suddenly stop taking it. You must gradually reduce the dose to avoid side effects. Ask your prescriber or health care professional for advice.

Duloxetine may cause an increase in blood pressure. Check with your prescriber or health care professional; you may be able to measure your own blood pressure and pulse. Find out what your blood pressure and heart rate should be and when you should contact him or her.

You may get drowsy, dizzy or have blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how duloxetine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may increase dizziness or drowsiness; avoid alcoholic drinks. Alcohol intake may also increase your risk for liver injury if you are taking duloxetine.

Duloxetine can make your mouth dry. Chewing sugarless gum, sucking hard candy and drinking plenty of water will help.

Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds, or allergies without asking your prescriber or health care professional for advice. Some ingredients may increase possible side effects.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you are taking duloxetine.

17. MomE0512

MomE0512 New Member

Update 2 in first message
    bump
  18. MomE0512

MomE0512 New Member

19. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I did a quick search. This is a anti-depressant. If your Doc prescribed Cymbalta to help manage your Fibro symptoms, I would give her a call and get the prescription changed as not every Anti-D works for this purpose.
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm confused - which doesn't mean anything today except I'm trying to answer your post. Are you currently saying that you thought you were getting a script for Cymbalta but got Celexa and it's not agreeing with you? If so, lower the dose and see how that works. I cut my 10 mg. tablets into quarters when I was taking it and that worked for me.

Of course, if you want Cymbalta that's a whole different story.

Marta

[ advertisement ]