Anyone feel better or worse in high altitude?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I am considering a move to CO and want to know if anyone has had impacts on their FM by high altitude? The dry makes me feel better. I don't think the altitude bothers me because I was in Sedona, AZ and felt great (relative).

Want to make sure I cover all bases before moving.......any one from CO?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I lived in Denver and feel so much better now that I live in FL. Thing is that no one can predict how a move will affect another. We all react so differently.

In the wintertime, there are temperature inversions all along the foothills which causes pollution to back up against the mountains. The pollution can hang around for days, or even weeks, on end. Even when one can't see it, the ozone count can be very high and make people sick.

The dry air is a two-edged sword. The air is thinner and carries less oxygen than at lower altitudes. The dryness can cause respiratory and sinus problems. It is also very hard on the skin. Jan. through Mar. is the worst for the pollution and skin problems and everything looks brown and dead unless you live in the mountains.

On the positive side, CO is a beautiful place, especially the Western half. It is seldom very cold in the winter and snow melts fast. There are some warm days all year long. There are a variety of cultures in CO. The population is young and active. You can live in very liberal Boulder or very conservative Colo. Spgs. Denver has a mix. The skiing is world class.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Love, Mikie
  3. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Hi
    It cannot be any worse than Southern CA. The air here smells horrible 99% of the time. If you get up on any hill and look down, it is brown and smoggy.

I am in a quandry. I was treated horrible at work and they made up an excuse to get rid of me. I am sure it had to do with my FM. They didn't even like it that I stretched at my desk....we worked 8-9 hours a day with zero breaks and they were pushing us to make it 10 hours a day.

I did a great job overall yet the past 6 months they treated me like crap. I am in a situation where I can sell my house and move to a place like CO and be in atleast ok financial shape for housing. I would still need to work but the stress of having to have a higher level corporate job would be gone. I could do something on my own or take something just for benefits that I might enjoy.

I haven't heard too many negatives about CO. Everyone says the people are friendly. Do you think we will make connections there? San Diego is tough in that regard because it is so fast paced and transient. Thanks
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so very sorry about how you were treated at work.

I cannot say whether CO is friendly because I am a native and knew everyone in our town when I was growing up. I've had others tell me that it was difficult to make friends there. I think a lot depends on the effort one makes to socialize. A lot of people from CA have moved to CO in the last 20 years or so. Denver now remineds me of Southern CA.

You can't always see the pollution in CO unless you view it from the hills. Still, scientists say it is worse than LA because of the ozone and because the air is so thin. From Dec. through Mar., strep throat, bronchitis, asthma, sinusitus, and even pneumonia, are rampant in CO.

Like I said, we are all different, so you may feel a lot better if you move there. I feel better closer to sea level or, at least, I did before all this damned Red Tide down here. Aack!

Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I have chronic sinusitis. along with the CFIDS.. . if I could get rid of it, I think half of my problems (fatigue, headaches, brain fog at least) would be solved.

I was with a friend who had to drive her dad's van back to Chicago from Phoenix, we stayed for a few days in Santa Fe. Santa Fe is very expensive, but the air is very clean - my headache totally went away and stayed away until I got 45 miles south of Chicago.

I have not had a chance to repeat this experiment, but it does makes me wonder. Right now I live 70 miles east of Atlanta, the last couple of ENTs I saw felt it was just due to pollution being blown our way. In fact one doctor told me I should move to a desert island! (but I haven't had a chance to try it, darn!)

I also have a friend who developed asthma in her 20s, moved from Chicago area to Phoenix (even tho it has gotten more polluted) and she says she hasn't had an asthma attack since 10 years ago when she moved. Her husband also feels better overall. On the other hand, my husband always feels better in hot humid climates, he has reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD).

Maybe you could spend a few days in a few different places to at least see what it's like...? Altho it would be hard to tell how a place is year-round.

Some people feel better permanently after moving to a completely different area (like humid to dry or vice-versa) while others find it catches up to them as their body becomes used to the area and starts reacting anew.

But it sure sounds like it is worth a try to just change the stress levels in your life!

all the best,
    Victoria

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that people visit CO in the summertime when the pollution isn't so bad. It's beautiful then.

Living at high altitude causes one to utilize oxygen more efficiently in the body. That is why athletes train at high altitude. Still, if one becomes asthmatic from breathing the cold, thin, polluted air in the winter, one will be sick. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to discourage you. You may do just fine there and feel well but being able to breathe without problems in the summer isn't indicitive of what may happen in the winter.

Many people come to FL in the wintertime when the weather is to die for, and they decide to move here. Along comes July when it's 92 every day until the end of Oct. and humid as hell and they can't take it. It takes about a year to acclimate to the heat down here. Every year, it still takes me about a month before I feel OK when it heats up. I actually like the heat and humidity and feel better in it.

I'm glad I moved here as I think it's been healthier for me. I still love CO and miss the mountains. I'm probably going back next month to visit family in the Denver area and in Keystone at the ski resort.

Love, Mikie
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

For years I felt more energetic every time I went home to visit. I've been living 400ft. above sea level for 26 yrs and 'home' is over 6,000ft. My family has a hard time believing I have chronic fatigue, because I do so well there. My husband works on the water and we'll most likely move to Colo. for my health as soon as he retires in a few years.
    Just recently I read (a thyroid site, can't remember which one) on the internet that the thyroid kicks up a notch at high altitudes and especially at very high altitudes--6,000ft and up. So, rather than thinking I do better at high altitudes because I was formed there, I wonder if my thyroid is more active while I'm there.
    There's lots of places to settle in Colo. that are beautiful and not so polluted as Denver. It was so bad back in the 70's that I could look north from Colo. Spgs. and see orange sky just about year around.
    Anyway, hope you find a good place there and have the positive effect that I enjoy while I'm there.
  8. KelB

KelB New Member

My current period of remission from CFS began when I spend some time with a friend in Switzerland, at 10,000 feet. Pretty much as soon as I arrived there, my energy was boosted and I felt a lot better.

Don't know how FM behaves, but if you feel bad where you are - what do you have to lose?
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been coming to this board, the only conclusion I can draw is that one's man's paradise is another's hell. How we feel where we live is so individual. I agree, though, that if one feels lousy where one is living, there isn't anything to be lost by trying someplace new.

Love, Mikie
  10. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

My sister claims up where we would live is free from the smog....we would live about a 1/2 hour north of Denver. The worst air in the Country is here in Southern CA...it is awful...burns your eyes etc...also, there are going to be a ton more trucks coming in from Mexico soon which will pollute the air more.

I just don't know. It is so hard to know what to do. It is so insanely expensive here in CA. My body cannot handle the stress well. On the other hand, I don't want to make a mistake. I could not handle Florida in a million years. Humidity seems to eat my FM up. It is humid here now and I am dying.

I love Northern Arizona but job market there is the pits..tough to know what to do.

Thanks Tim
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Denver has always been a boom/bust town. Right now is a good time to buy a house there but I don't know about jobs. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  12. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Denver now is considered a clean air city. Men's Health gave it an A- in this month's issue versus an F for cities like Chicago and Fresno. You are all correct that Denver USED to have an air pollution problem. Where we are going, 25 mins North of the city and up and away, they had zero AQI unhealthful days in 2005.
    I think after living in Southern CA, anything outside of Houston, would have to be an improvement. I can measure the number of GOOD days here on one hand. Every single day we are in a haze of brown air. The Bush Admin. has now gotten rid of environmental regulations on diesel trucks crossing the border. It is expected that the number of trucks will triple. This is going to choke our air even worse.

If you have never visited here, go to Sea World, go up on the Tower ride and look around...you will be stunned at the air quality. It burns my eyes here as this darn FM is so hard on allergies etc......

Take care TIM
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Everyone living along the border with Mexico. I don't understand why the U.S. is bending over like this. Why should we allow anyone to pollute our air even worse than we already have?

Love, Mikie
  14. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Seems like most people enjoy Colorado....maybe the change will be good. I see nothing but traffic and smog for CA. The developers own this state.

It is nice place to visit, tough place to live.

Take care TIM

[ advertisement ]