Anyone feel like they can not get enough water??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovinlifeinAK, Dec 19, 2005.

1. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I am always thristy. I fill my water thing (1 qt) at work at least three times at work and then have more when I get home. I have tried everything, even sucking on candies, buttons, and still thirsty. It is driving me nuts. I always have to make sure I have water in my car as well.

Which when it starts to get colder like it is suppose to be this time of year, I forget it. I either leave it in the car and it is frozen the next morning or I bring it in and forget to grab it in the morning.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I find that my mouth gets dry from meds and I like to have water with me. There is a difference, though between that and needing to drink a lot. There is always a possibility that this is a symptom of Diabetes. Have you mentioned this to your Doctor?

Kathy
  3. JamieBeth

JamieBeth Member

Well, it happened to me a while ago, but doc figured out it was caused by gastric reflux brought on by food sensitivities. Made me feel thirsty all the time, for whatever reason.

If you try to cut back on your water intake, just remember that people need to drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of water a day.

Hope this helps.
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am extremely thirsty all the time too. I have been checked for diabetes so I don`t have that. Another thing that can cause extreme thirst is Pots. There have been some posts about it lately.
  5. darude

darude New Member

When I first got sick this happened to me and then I became severely dehydrated and went to hospital via ambulance. Given fluids and told should have been in there sooner. Also found out had type 2 diabetes.
  6. jennypee

jennypee New Member

Hey, thanks for this post. I'm constantly thirsty too... I'll drink until my belly sloshes and I'm uncomfortable. I just thought it was more proof of my weirdness. I guess I'll have to get tested for diabetes.

What test do they do?

Thanks again!

--jennypee
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've learned to make sure I have water w/ me everywhere I go. If I even go for a 10 min walk, I at least have to chew gum.

When I did the 24 cortisol test, where you pee in a bucket for 24 hours I should have had 2 buckets. I'm only about 115 lbs, and I had almost twice the usual output. I think this got esp. bad after I started my a.d. I've seen lots of posts that they are notorious for dry mouth. When I'm overwhelmed by allergens (am severe MCS) I get super thirsty too, and it helps to detox me. could be an attempt to get our blood volumes up too.

I have been recently tested for diabetes, and have used my friends diabetes bloodtest kit many times and am always normal. SO IT DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN DIABETES. Doesn't hurt to get checked, but don't panic.

Jeanne
  8. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

My dentist says...

we don't create enough saliva, which causes dehydration and cavaties in our teeth... she recommended I carry bottled water everywhere I go... keep a constant sip of water at hand!

Thirst is a diabetes symptom also,...try the water theory, and discuss it with your dr...

9. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I have been tested several times for diabetes, and my thyroid level is right were they are suppose to be for me.

I feel that sometimes it is taking from my food intake. Though I have vasculor musculor rhinitis sinitis- basically I get "allergic" reactions to weather, cold, chemicals, dust, etc. Though I am technically only allergic to Kentucky blue grass.

I will have to do a search on the dry mouth. But as usual some very good info.
  10. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

I used to hate water, but now can't get enough! in addition to fm (for which, i think, dry mouth is a symptom), i also have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is a precursor to diabetes - also known for having dry mouth. yet, water can make me more thirsty sometimes, so i add a little tea to it, and it's much better.

11. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

I read in one of my books that feeling thirsty is common in Fibromyalgia patients. I can't remember why though, except that it's a result of some physiological imbalance. I'll try to look it up and post again.
  12. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

what does physiological imbalance mean. Bit foggy today. or if anyone knows can you tell me?? Maybe I will try to google search it. Though I am glad I am not the only one.

With some of my other symptoms, I have been wondering if I have that polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It has come up in several of my searches of symptoms I have been doing lately.

I am not goin down without a fight!!
  13. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

lovinglifeinAK,

By "physiological imbalance," I just mean that there was some specific physical cause mentioned, such as hormonal levels or a deficiency--something like that (I just can't remember what exactly it was). Sorry it was unclear!

I'm going to go look right now and see if I can find where I read about thirst and fibromyalgia.
  14. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Hurray--I found the reference to increased thirst in FM/CFS. It's on page 10 of Dr. Teitelbaum's book, "From Fatigued to Fantastic."

He says:
    "When I meet a new patient who has a water bottle in hand, I usually know what his or her main complain will be. As part of their HORMONAL PROBLEMS [emphasis mine], people with chronic fatigue have INCREASED URINE OUTPUT, and therefore, INCREASED THIRST. A classic description of a FM/CFS patient is that he or she 'drinks like a fish and pees like a racehorse....' Many patients find they need to drink two to three time as much liquid as the average person."

I would still recommend exploring other serious possibilities (such as diabetes), but if no other medical issue is found, then the increased thirst that may of us experience may simply be a result of hormonal imbalances that causes us to urinate more. So, our bodies are just telling us to replenish our fluids.

Hope this is helpful.
  15. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Thank you that was helpful. As everone knows the same drill, all of my tests are coming back normal....even though I no longer look like my normal self.

I am trying to possibly break things out.....I think I have more than one thing going on. So therefore I am confusing the doctors.

I will continue to research and come to this wonderful site that has a wealth of information.
  16. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Thanks for that suggestion. I might have to see if I can find sea salt and try it out. I hate having to be glued to a water bottle all the time.
  17. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Any idea if the "hormonal problems" can be addressed? Which hormones are out of whack? I am interested because I fit the description you wrote and one doctor said the same but did not say which hormones caused it. Please respond if you can - this is a big issue for me.

Thanks Bunchy x
  18. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Bunchy,

Yes, the hormonal issues can be addressed. However, there are many different hormones and glands involved, and it's quite complicated.

I recommend you buy (or borrow from the library) Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's book, "From Fatigued to Fantastic." He has a whole chapter on hormonal imbalances related to FM/CFs and how to address them.

Better yet, I recommend looking into the FFC (Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers). Despite some naysayers, I think they are on the right track, as they have some of the few doctors who actually address underlying issues, including hormonal imbalances. At the FFC, they test for and treat issues just like this. (I'm not a patient there, but my doctor uses a similar protocol.)

If you can address some of your underlying issues, such as hormonal imbalances, you'll feel a lot better.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you!
  19. kimkane

kimkane New Member

Hi, I also have went though the " can't get enough water".

I do not have diabetes. Everything checks out just great except, good ole hormones. I am in full blown MENTALPAUSE.
    Which I belive is the main reason for me.

But....also.....I know my body and when my stress levels are up I require more water. Stress makes me toxic so the water flushes the toxins.

This sounds bad but it should be addressed..............

parasites can also make you crave water. We can get parasites many different ways. It is very very easy to get them. It doesn't mean your a dirty person or anything.

For me when I would give just about anything for a glass of water....I do a colon cleanse. There are many out there, I do the Paraway Pack. Talk to your Doc about it. If he isn't into the idea, go to a good health food store. Or you can google the one I take.

I know the meds I am on make me crave water. Elavil and Flexeril are known for this.

I remember a few years ago alot was being said about the water and sea salt therapy. Go to the search on here and type in "water/salt". Alot should come up.

Good luck to you, Kim
  20. sdown

sdown New Member

Get your adrenal glands tested and also get tested for metal poisoning. I was always thirsty too. I couldn't go anywhere without my bottle of water. Turns out I was tested for adrenal gland exhaustion and I have Addison's disease (same thing). I also had a high level of mercury in my body from my mercury amalgam fillings. I am now on cortef 25 mg a day (steroid medication) and DHEA 25 mg a day for the adrenals. I also had chelation done for removing the mercury. Its called a DMPS treatment. My doctor said to increase my sodium. So I eat pickles, soups high in sodium, add sea salt to my drinking water, etc. I asked the doctor if there is such a thing as consuming too much salt and he replied "No, your liver simply gets rid of what you don't need". What happens when your adrenal glands are exhausted is they don't balance the sodium and potassium very well in your body so you become dehydrated easily. I also take kelp but be careful not to take too much as it could throw off your thyroid the doctor told me. So I take only 1 -2 tablets a day. Doctor also said to drink a good quality mineral water 1 litre a day.