Anyone feel pressured NOT to become depressed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goingslowlycrazy, May 26, 2003.

1. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

I wasn't sure what to call this post...

I feel a real and continuing pressure on me (probably a self-inflicted pressure) NOT to get depressed with this DD.

I guess some of it is because I am so aware that many docs view it as a depressive illness, or a 'female hysteria' - and I don't want that to obscure their view of what is really going on with me and this illness.

I HAVE been depressed in the past, so I know what it feels like. In fact, I had a nervous breakdown during my last marriage - but for very specific reasons and it was clearly a 'reactive' depression.

That is why I can be so sure that this cfs is NOT caused by depression...but at the same time, I am very aware that it can cause depression. Who wouldn't feel depressed, putting up with this every day?

I have had a very bad few days, in fact a very bad couple of weeks. My energy levels are now virtually non-existent and I have a strange feeling of 'draining away' - like someone has pulled the plug out on me...has anyone else felt this?

I gave up smoking three weeks ago and I am SO tempted to start again. I know it is exactly the WRONG thing to do for my health - but right now, I am more worried about my mental health. I feel like I need to stay strong to fight this but I can feel my strength fading away.

I think I feel so low mentally because I feel so dreadful physically - and hopefully once my physical health picks up a bit, I will lighten up mentally.

I'm probably just feeling sorry for myself cos this is the worst I have felt (physically) with this DD and it is kinda frightening, especially the fading out sensation.

Can anyone advise or failing that...a hug would be nice...

sorry for being so wet...just feeling in need of a pick-me-up,

hugs
    Mary x
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have had zero energy for 2 weeks, feel like a walking dead person. I am very sad about it and frustrated but not depressed.
    I think too many people call sadness and frustration depression.
    If they read the definition of depression, which can be found on the web, they just might be able to remove that label from themselves :)

I hope you get to feeling better Mary. I hope we both do !
  3. goingslowlycrazy

I messed that one up good and proper...hit the button before I'd even written the post and you guys were so quick to reply - before I had a chance to get rid of it LOL
    Thanks for the quick replies..bless you,
    hugs
    Mary xx
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

Sorry to hear you're feeling so much worse at the moment. Had sort of guessed.

I know that when things are worse I feel really down, it's the malaise, debility, and being able to do so little that gets me down. The tiniest thing consequently becomes too much for me, physical or emotional, because I don't have the resouces to deal with them.

Then I get a better day (or more) and I'm on top of the world. Nothing bothers me because I feel that bit better and so I see all through rose tinted glasses. Friends have commented on the fact that this is when I'm seemingly unflappable, better at dealing with stressful situations they are. Calm, balanced but enthusiatic, the old me in other words.

Hang on in there, it will pass. In the meantime cosset yourself, rest mentally as well as physically. These are the times my aromatherapy oils get used. When I used to be able to watch TV and videos I would choose sloppy, happy, feel good, and funny programmes or films. Even if it didn't have an immediate effect I reckoned they would work on my subconscious.

Consider yourself hugged.

Love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2003]
  5. jka

jka New Member

i try to force myself not to be depressed.my internest and rhumy both feel i have some depression and anxiety.i try to handle both using my mind and happy.thoughts.when that doesn't work- i go for the meds!

kathy c
  6. northlass

northlass New Member

awwww Mary ... hunny if you need me ring anytime, i told you that allready love.. remember what i told you that my CFS doc calls that kind of depressed,,, he calls it being opressed because every day is the same, but they do change hun, your in the worst stage is all, give yourself a break, rest rest and double rest, sadly this DD cant go in days, we wish lol. else we wouldnt all be helping each other here would we,just give it time, it does go up and down hay ho.... love you xxxx sam
  7. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

((((((((((((((Mary))))))))))))))))))

and for you ((((((((((((((((((Princess))))))))))))))))

Hope you bothfeel better soon.

Take care.....Kathi
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2003]
  8. goingslowlycrazy

Thank you so much for all the support and hugs - it means a lot.

I know that these 'dips' will occur from time to time. Feeling so rotten does drain you and drag you down.

Sandra - I think you are so right about the smoking. I'm taking that one hour by hour.
    Sometimes I think 'I really can't do this - I'm going to cave in' and then other times, I'm glad I didn't. Can't make any promises though -
    I fear it may be something really stupid but intensely stressful that starts me off again, like one more row with the 14 year old hell child...LOL

I will try though, cos I know it is right for my health NOT to smoke. I think part of the down feeling is that I hoped giving up would make me feel better - but it has co-incided with me feeling worse than ever...

Thanks so much for all your replies...and sam, I love you too xxx

hugs
    Mary xxxx
  9. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

Mary,

Congratulations on quitting smoking! My husband and I quit about 4 months ago. I had a more difficult time than he did... I guess because of this dd (FMS and MPS. But, it IS worth it. I went through days of feeling awful, jittery depressed and unable to think clearly but, it IS worth it. I hope that you can stick to it. I still want one sometimes but, the urge passes in about 20 seconds. I feel very much better now even though the dd keeps me down some days. I hope you can beat the cigs. they are one part of your health that you CAN control. It gets easier and you will feel better over time.

God bless,
    Lisa
  10. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I have suffered from depression for a very, very long time. Depression runs in both sides of my family. I have attempted the suicide route several times. DON'T DESPAIR!! I finally decided I was sick of being a "nut", so I pulled myself together, and sought help. It has taken me years to get where I am today, and this sounds weird, but I don't regret my past. My past is what helped to shape the person I am today. I do have to rely on a psychiatrist and drugs to help me through the black hole. SO WHAT!! I AM ALIVE, AND ENJOYING MY JOURNEY. I don't deal with the severe pain that alot of you experience on this board,and this could be why I am finally enjoying my physcial realm for the first time in my life. It took alot of switching doctors and time to get where I am. I had to work at this. I am proud of where I am today. If you knew how sick I was, you'd understand my gaiety. I decided my mental health was the fist ailment that I had to work on, before anything else. Once I did that, I started focusing on the physical pain. Take a deep breath, and hope you find comfort knowing that you have friends on this board that care.
  11. goingslowlycrazy

...I'm feeling much brighter thanks and I am pleased to say that I am NOT smoking!
    I must admit that a friend came to stay for the weekend and both she (and my partner) smoke...so I did cave in an have a few and it was SO disappointing! They didn't taste how I remembered them, in fact they tasted pretty disgusting...so at least the memory can't taunt me anymore, cos I know they are yukky!
    Thanks for asking - it was so sweet of you!
    hugs
    Mary xx
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Mary

So glad you are feeling better than you were. Well done with giving up smoking. Cigarettes are said to be more addictive than heroin so you've achieved a lot, the odd cheat doesn't count remember because like the rest of us you are only human.

Take care now.

cheers

Tansy

13. Antenbunny

Antenbunny New Member

I have felt the unplugged feeling. That's how I explain it, like someone pulled my plug. I just got a prescription from my Dr. for ridalin. I've taken it the last two days, it help a lot. I can't take it every day, but those days when I have no energy I think it will help. I wish you well.

[ advertisement ]