anyone feel to drugged out on xanax?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I just took 1/4 of what I was supposed to for anxiety. I am extra week and feel drugged out. I hate the feeling as I am already exhausted!
    Rene
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I take it at night, helps me fall asleep and also helps with anxiety but takes a few days to "build up" in your system to help the anxiety. I can't take it during the day or it would make me drowsy.

Try taking it about 30-45mins before you intend to go to sleep instead and if possible only take it during the day if you are having an anxiety attack and need quick relief. After a couple of years on it I still find the side effect of sleepy, out of it feeling hasn't gone away, but I'm glad because its the only thing that helps my brain shut down to sleep. I still have anxiety during the day sometimes but if I take a little more at night during those times it helps and then when things are back under control I can go back down in dosage.

Sincerely
    JL
  3. chickabee

chickabee New Member

Hi rene,..what dosage of xanax does your Dr. have you on? I have been on it for a year and it has never made me feel drugged out. You might want to discuss this with him, as it may be you need a different medication. Or it could be because you are just starting out with a new med. nanc
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I guess everyone has different experiences with it, but
    benzodiazepines are designed to work shortly after you take them.

Also, what dosage are you taking? I took it for several months during 2002 starting at ~.5mg and worked my way up to 1.5, then I quit when I noticed a tolerance developing.
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been on Xanax .5 mg. 3 x a day since 1997, and I haven't felt I have built up a tolerance to it.

I don't feel I need more of it unless it is the rare situation that is going badly, I might feel like I need an extra one, but I think I'm doing well as is.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

because I took it for sleep, but after a little while, I was fine. That only lasted for a couple of weeks. Does anyone get dried out from it? I take lorazepam.

GBHope
  7. Rene

Rene New Member

Thanks for the replies!!!! I took 1/4 of .5 this morning. I am still drugged out. Maybe I should take it at bed time. My sleep is not to bad but just having major anxiety do to my moms problems.
    Rene
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I take low dose Xanax - 1/2 of .25 mg during the day, whole .25 mg at bed time (sometime 1 1/2 .25 mg at bed time).

If your nervous system has been overstimulated by anxiety for a long time, you may be very exhausted. Now that the Xanax has calmed down your nervous system, you could be feeling that exhaustion more. You may need to 'catch up on' your sleep.

Try taking it just at night and getting as much sleep as you can for several days. If/when you are feeling better, experiment to find the minimum dose that will keep the anxiety away without making you feel drugged. Don't take it too soon after you get up, at first. I actually feel less tired in the evening when the Xanax has kept my nervous system from going into overdrive during the day.
  9. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i take .5 to1mg of xanax for anxiety and sleep. i don't know if i would call the feeling drugged out bt it definitely relaxes me. it also helps to relieve some of the muscle tension at night when i'm trying to go to sleep. over sll i would say it has been a very good med for me.
    rachel.
  10. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Literally!!! I cannot take it at all! That was the worst thing I ever tried- it just did not agree with me in the least!