Anyone from Canada fighting for disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilew, Sep 5, 2002.

1. marilew

marilew New Member

Hello, I am new to this message board, so please be patient with me :eek:)
    I have been "disabled" since 2000, and I am fighting for my disability. I was going to take out an ad in the newspaper looking for anyone that was in my situation, so we can put our heads together and try to figure out how to fight these people who sit behind a desk all day looking for ways to deny us.
    I stumbled across this site today, and feel like it's an answer to prayer. If anyone can help me and many others with our plights...It would be greatly appreciated.
    M
  2. marilew

marilew New Member

Hello, I am new to this message board, so please be patient with me :eek:)
    I have been "disabled" since 2000, and I am fighting for my disability. I was going to take out an ad in the newspaper looking for anyone that was in my situation, so we can put our heads together and try to figure out how to fight these people who sit behind a desk all day looking for ways to deny us.
    I stumbled across this site today, and feel like it's an answer to prayer. If anyone can help me and many others with our plights...It would be greatly appreciated.
    M
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello M, welcome to the board. We have many members from Canada here, I am sure they will be glad to share their experiences with you, and offer some help concerning Disability.

Again, welcome to the board!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. rick31797

rick31797 New Member

If you email me and tell me what stage you are at...i can tell you what i have learnt about the system ...

kyzer@ihorizons.net
    Rick
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2002]
  5. breezy

breezy New Member

Hi - I've been fighting for disability for quite some time now. Haven't won yet - but I will!
    My advice to you is get a good lawyer and persevere! Write back. I live just outside of
    Toronto, how about you?
    Breezy
  6. yellowline

yellowline New Member

Hi! Just read your post today and wanted to tell you I'm from Canada too. I applied for Canada Pension Disability in 1998. After being turned down several times, I have finally won the fight. You know your body better than anyone else and if you can't work you have to keep fighting. I did. If you can afford a lawyer , it's a good idea. I had to use both the pysical and mental aspects of this disease. I feel they don't give a darn how sore you are. If you can find a good doctor in mental health that understands this illness, don't be afraid to go there. That's what I did and he was a great support for me. Good luck and keep fighting!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2002]
  7. dorothyanne

dorothyanne New Member

I had failed back surgery in 1997 and could no longer work, so applied for a disability pension through the provincial gov't - Ontario - in December 1997. After several months' wait I was turned down, saying that there were jobs I could still do. I appealed, I believe, twice more and finally won the provincial pension in September 1998.

My application was based on several conditions, ie. sciatica, FMS, depression, tendinitis in arms and feet, migraines, HBP, etc. ad nauseum!

Immediately I'd won the prov pension, I was told I had to apply for Canada Pension which I did in October 1998. I was rejected (twice I believe), appeared before a tribunal hearing in my city -- rejected again. I had a lawyer (through Legal Aid) for the tribunal hearing only. The tribunal report omitted several very important pieces of evidence, including a Functional Capacity Assessment, and had many errors. I was incensed and appealed to my MP for assistance. He referred me to the Minister responsible for CPP. The upshot of all this was that I had to appeal to a final appeals board, which I did.

Finally, in November 2001 -- 3 years later -- I was informed that I was being granted a Canada Pension for disability. It was not until March 2002 that I received any money. The kicker is that 60% of the retroactive settlement was reimbursed to the prov gov't for what they'd paid me. I should have gone on a shopping spree with what was left, as a few weeks later the prov gov't Ministry informed me that I had to pay them an additional $5,000. Apparently, Canada Pension, while deeming me disabled from Feb 1999 (3 mos after my application), only paid retroactively for 2 of the 3 years!!

On top of all this, I still have to pay Income Tax on the $15Gs!!! So, I did win my long, stressful battle, but in the end I'm in the red.

My hard-learned advice is to provide a Functional Capacity Assessment, and to PERSEVERE!!

Good luck, and patience, to all still fighting,

Soft HUGS, Dorothyanne
  8. breezy

breezy New Member

Hi! I see a lot of you replied to Marilew. I'm interested to know more about who has won, how they did it and and pointers they may have. Also, I would like to get to know my fellow country-men (women).
    Anybody from the Toronto area?
    Breezy
  9. dorothyanne

dorothyanne New Member

Please check the message right above yours in which I went into great detail as to my experiences with the disability pension process. Also, I replied to your other posts on both this board and the chit chat board. I live within a couple of hours of you, as far as I can determine. Can you tell me just where you live, or would you like to email me at the address on my profile?

My strongest advice to you regarding your application is to realize that it will likely be a lengthy process and you will need to keep appealing. Persevere.

I look forward to getting to know you better, and all the best with your application.

Soft HUGS,

Dorothyanne
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

I fought for and won both my LTD from Sun Life and CPP Disability for having CFS. It took a lot of work and finding a doctor who knows what buzz-words the insurance companies are looking for. My doctor has learned what they are over the years.

There is a support group here in Ottawa, called MESH Ottawa (M.E. Self Help). They have photocopies of all kinds of excellent information on how to deal with insurance companies and the federal govt. Look around for a support group in your area - they might have similar materials. You could also contact MESH Ottawa and they would send it to you.

Let me know if you want any more info and I'll see what I can find.

I got sick in 1993, had over a year's sick leave that I used up before applying for LTD and CPP Disability. It was over a year later that I got my first cheque. Don't give up. If you deserve it you will get it one way or another!
    Pepper
  11. marilew

marilew New Member

I am still being denied from Blue Cross, but I am far from giving up even though I have been at this for two years. All of my Doctors claim that I can "attempt light or sedentary duties", so the "powers that be" are really having a heyday with me. WCB is a nightmare, and CPP is out as long as the Doctors feel that I can attempt light duty. The trouble is, my employer won't accomodate me, my Union is giving me the runaround, and I am left fighting on my own, but now with the help of an advocate I am hoping for something to click.
    I have learned a valuable lesson though...and that is to trust NO ONE when it comes to this fight. A person is so responsible for their outcome that it's pathetic. An Insurance Company has one thing on their agenda and that is to get rid of you. My/Our job(s) are to chip away at them harder than they can chip away at us. Facts just don't seem to matter.
    If I sound bitter, it is because I am. My story is long, as I know everyones is, but unfortunately mine is full of some pretty dispicable deceit too. Do others feel the same?
    Thanks for listening to my rant
    M
  12. pepper

pepper New Member

Their sole job is to deny you! Luckily I had my husband fighting for me because I do not have the energy. It seems so unfair - to force people to fight when they have no fight left in them from being so ill!

My hubby told SunLife that he was not going to let them take our house away. He said, "I will outlast you - just keep sending her to doctors, asking for letters, whatever you want - she will get what she deserves!" I eventually did.

I wish you luck. Keep fighting. Pepper
  13. marilew

marilew New Member

The Company that I work(ed) for switched from Sunlife to Blue Cross 6 months before I ended up having to leave work. They gave us this big song and dance about how Blue Cross was a much better "plan" to be on. Ya B.S. They are worse. There are people from my work that got their LTD and they have half the health problems that I have...and they were on the old plan.

I am not giving up either...If my advocate cannot help me...then I will be going to a Lawyer. I have a Union and unfortunately they have "exclusive jurisdiction" over things so that a Lawyer could not get involved. Now that I have had the final denial...Union included...hopefully a Lawyer can step in.
  14. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

Marilew,
    I have been unable to work and living with chronic pain since 2000 as well and have been denied CPP twice.
    I know how stressful this is for you and how alone you begin to feel in this struggle...but don't you give up...that's exactly what they want you to do.
    My Tribunal is in December and I am terrified of being turned down again (told my hubby to get the padded room ready...just in case).
    My lawyer is very confident that I will be approved this time (a little too confident maybe).
    I am not really in the position to advise you (since I have not won the appeal yet) but I do have some thoughts I'd like to share with you.
    If you'd like to e-mail me, I will tell you what I do know.
    All the best
  15. marilew

marilew New Member

What is your e-mail addy wing? I'd love to email you...I need all the help that I can get. I have finally been able to get a Lawyer, but he has so much stuff to go through (I saved every shred of paper/letters/etc) that he's taking too long in my opinion. I will have to wait for him of course, but it's nice to see things moving finally albeit slow :eek:(

I cannot file for CPP because so far my Doctors still think that I can do "light duties", and I am willing to give it a try, but heck...I still can't do MY job, and the Insurance Co, still denies me all my back pay, and even partial coverage.

My employer is totally unco-operative in providing me with "light dutues", so I'm in a real no win situation here

[ advertisement ]