Anyone from midwest? Interesting note made by neurologist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerryS, Apr 2, 2007.

1. TerryS

TerryS Member

I saw a neurologist last fall for suspected multiple sclerosis. Thank GOD the MRI and CT scans showed a "perfect" brain (although, my husband would argue that point).

Anyhow, I had gotten a copy of all my notes to send to LTD and also Social Security (since LTD made me file for SSDI). I noticed an interesting note in the neurologist's office note:

"The patient was born in Indianapolis and left there at age six. This, combined with the improvement in her symptoms with the cooler weather, suggests there may be some underlying demyelinating disease such as multiple sclerosis."

Does anyone have a clue as to what living in Indiana would have to do with anything???

TerryS
  2. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

If I remember correctly, it is believed more people living in northern states have MS than not. Not sure what that note means.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, I believe is was a reference to the northern hemisphere. There is less MS the nearer you get to the equator, presumable because of higher Vit-D levels which comes from adequate sun exposure. When you look at tables which show "belts" around the world, they are all farther away from the equator. I'm guessing with the increased use of sunscreens, you will see a major increase in the southern states, as people are taught to fear the suns rays. Hogwash. But what do I know.
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

Midwest too ... Ohio ... 1sst cousin has MS and I have this FM crap and wonder if I also have MS ... can't get a DR to order an MRI. Go figure. We both grew up in eastern Ohio. She has lived in Wisconsin for years though and that is where her MS was Dx'd. She is 58 and has been in a nursing home for several years now and is legally blind from the MS and in a wheelchair. :-(
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I was kind of wondering if there could be a connection between the pesticides sprayed on the crops there...but maybe it's all because of sun exposure!!! Who knows!

I can tell you that I have extremely low vitamin D and B12 levels. I've been on supplements for months. I'm going to ask my doc to recheck in May when I go back.

TerryS
  6. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

I live in an area of NE Ohio that we have been told has an average of 40 days of sunshine per year. Maybe the sun does have something to do with FM and MS and all that stuff. It does seem like a lot of people I know have FM, even know a few that have MS. Hmmm. Would be an interesting research on this.

Judy