Anyone from New Jersey? I have some questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Nov 16, 2005.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

As most of you know I live in South Africa, my husband has to go to New Jersey (spelling?) for business and since he has never been there, or anywhere in the US for that matter I thought I'd ask my friends on the board.

I think the area he will be staying in is quite industrial (he is going to the company Arnell for training), have no idea now where exactly that is, but he's only there for a short while and I'd appreciate it if you can give me any tips like things worhtwhile to see and do and places to go to.

Also what is the weather like? And now for a really stupid question, what type of public transport is there and how much does it cost to get around?
    I feel REALLY stupid for asking this but we don't use public transport because everyone has a car.
    If he's going for a week how many $ would he need to go to places, see and do things etc? I have NO idea what anything costs over there!
    For example here, if you buy a cooldrink and a sandwich it will cost you about R15 which is $2.
    A meal in a nice restaurant for 1 person that includes drinks, starter, main and dessert around $20.
    Thank you in advance!

Phoebe
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  2. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

There are many of us from N.J. on this board. I don't know how helpful I can be.I am not familiar with the name Arnell so I don't know where your husband will be.

I don't use public transportation either but the hotel should be able to advise him.About food prices,he wouldn't get a sandwich and beverage for $2.00. It would be about $5 or $6. This is an expensive area to live in or visit.

If he will be landing at Newark Airport he should take a ferry boat ride from Liberty State Park in Jersey City,N.J and visit the Statue of Liberty. He will be minutes from Manhattan[New York City] which he should definitely should see. Walking around is an experience&certanly free.He should be aware of his surroundings at all times&try to not look like a tourist. Tell him to carry money in his pockets instead of wallet and credit card in another pocket. Keep a few one dollar bills available when approached by street people so he won't fumble with other cash when on the street.

If he can he should see a Broadway play. Get info about discounted tickets or he'll pay $100 a ticket. Sorry,I'm giving so many warnings because I love N.Y.C. and would live there if I could afford it.

I'm sure others w/give you more information. I hope he has a wonderful time. Marie
  3. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Hope someone else will post.
  4. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi There!

Well, too bad you couldn't join Hubby & meet up with some of us!

The weather now is getting quite chilly & windy - so he should be prepared with a warm jacket, gloves & scarf.

As for food- most meals, he should certainly get away with under $20. Fast food restraurants (like the famous golden arches)a meal is about $4-$6. There are many choices of types of restraurants in most towns, usually within walking distance of big hotel chains. If he's going to dinner with "the guys" and having a few drinks - he should be prepared to spend upwards to $40-$50 (yes, I know quite insane- but that is New Jersey!)

I'm not a coffee drinker- but I think a typical coffee is $1+ If he likes those specialty coffe house places $3-$4 is typical.

As for things to do-it really depends on exactly where you are in NJ as for what to do. I do agree w/ Muddieann, a trip into NYC for a Broadway Show is a "mustsee"!! absolutely!! Most towns have either bus or train transportation into the city, from my town a bus is just under $15 roundtrip. I can drive to another town & pay to park my car- then take the train round trip for about $16. Prices vary from how far away you are from NYC - I am appr 24 miles.

The BEST place for him to buy a Broadway show ticket is TKTS on 49th & Broadway - they sell same day show tickets for a %off, usually 50%, depending on the show. For a matinee, they start selling at 10 am & for the evening show, selling starts at 3 pm. Otherwise full price show tickets are $100+(depending on show). The only bad part is you have to wait in line, you are not guaranteed the show you want will be available, so you need to be open minded. Your hubby will be lucky, single tickets are usually always available :) So he is likely to be able to get tickets to a very good show!!

There are plenty of other things to see in NYC also - museums, depends on what he likes (art, history, whatever?)A trip into Philadelphia is also nice if he likes museums.

Let us know what kind of things he likes & wants to see Phoebe, then we can come up with more ideas.

Phoebe, I hope your hubby gets some time to enjoy himself, while he is on this business trip. Hope you can survive at home without him.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty
  5. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Again!

I found the company where your husband is going for training- it's located in a small industrial town called Parlin, it's near Old Bridge, N.J.

He certainly should have no problem finding public transportation into NYC from Old Bridge. Is he going to rent a car to get from his hotel to the job site?

I really don't know of another way, unless his job is supplying the transportation? Public transportation is just not set up that way, it's fine for going into New York City, but otherwise - it's rather difficult to navigate & it's not flexible. That could be why there are so many cars in N.J. LOL! Gas is about $2.81 gallon.

Shows to see on Broadway:
    The Odd Couple (although, it's SOLD OUT! so I do not think any tickets are available, but worth a try, not even sure if it is in preview yet?)
    Wicked
    The Producers
    The Lion King
    Hairspray
    Rent
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Avenue Q
    Movin Out (if he likes Billy Joel)
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Phantom of the Opera
    Monty Python Spamalot (if he likes Monty Python)

But, Muddieanne's suggestion of seeing the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building & other sites of New York City are all the right things to make sure he sees.

Just make sure he packs enough warm clothing- you are used to warm weather, right? So, it will feel even colder to him- it was actually 76F earlier this week, now it's in the 40'sF during the day & near freezing level at night.

Will he be here for our Thanksgiving, which is on Thursday 11/24? Bummer time to be traveling, though at least here- airports will be crazy crowded that weekend!

Please let us know anything else you need to know.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty

6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'm going to print out your posts and give it to him, I actually have no idea where he is going to go for the training or how he is going to get there, I will ask him tonight.
    You have given me some great info, I had no idea about the street people (here we don't give them money, only food) and the tip about the discount Broadway tickets will be much appreciated by my hubby, I hope he gets time to do all these wonderful things and see the sights as his schedule looks quite hectic.
    Thank you for all the helpful hints, going to a strange country can be a bit daunting but you have made me feel much more at ease (for my hubby's sake that is!).

Hugs
    Phoebe
  7. jerseybunny

jerseybunny New Member

lets not forget ... it is chritmas season. rockerfella center.radio city music hall will be all decked out.. i love that.. and horse rides through central park....
  8. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Blame it on fibro-fog!! I really thought I had answered this thread. I grew up not 2 miles from the company your dh will be visiting for business.

The area is quite congested, and except for bus lines there really is no dependable public transportation. He's really going to need to rent a car. Does he know what hotel he'll be staying at yet?

If he wants to visit New York City, that will be easy enough. He can catch a New Jersey Transit train right into the city (he'll need that car to get to the train station though). Once he's in the City he can use the subway system. I'd recommed a map he could pick up at a bookstore (Borders or Barnes and Noble) called "Street Wise Manhattan".

Driving into New York is probably not the best of ideas. The traffic in the area he'll be staying in is probably going to be pretty bad (I haven't lived there for 30+ years) but New York is insane!!

Our weather has been pretty unpredictable this year. It should be quite cold, but it's been fluctuating b/t cold and quite nice. Tell him not to be surprised to see snow -- or ice storms -- or sleet -- or perfectly nice, warmer, pleasant weather. LOL It's best to plan for cold though, it is nearly winter.

Hopefully he hasn't already left and some of this will be of use. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Love & blessings
    Mar
  9. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

He is only flying next saturday so everything you have told me will be very useful.
    Driving around there is going to be a challenge I think, we drive on the opposite side of the road as you do, and the driver's seat is on the right hand side of the car, so everything is turned around!
    How much does it cost to rent a car?
    My hubby will love it if it snows, he has never seen snow in his wole life and loves cold weather, here it is sunshine all year round.

Phoebe
  10. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Phoebe, don't let him rent a car here. I didn't you had the British way of driving.New Jersey traffic is not the place to try a way that is completely different for him. We have 6million drivers in a population 8million. We are the 3rd smallest state geographically but the most densely populated. Also, N.J. and N.Y. are [I'm sorry to say] are known to have the rudest drivers and have no mercy on drivers who don't know where they are going.

Otherwise, he'll have a lot of stories to tell you.He is probably arriving at Newark Airport. I wish you were going with him---I live 5minutes from there.

Marie
  11. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Car rental prices vary. You can get a small economy car for about $25 per day to about $100 for a luxury car. Won't the company be paying that expense?

As for driving, I think he'll do okay. My brother moved to the UK about 7 yrs ago; he comes back here once or twice a year and adjusts fairly easily. Tell your dh to ask for a car with an automatic transmission though; my brother says the hardest adjustment with driving on different sides of the roadway involve driving a car when you have to shift -- you not only change sides of the road, but your "shifting hand" as well.

Please do post again after dh returns. I'm very interested in hearing his impressions of my old hometown. :*)

Love and blessings
    Mar
  12. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'll leave it up to him to decide if he wants to drive or not, once he's there and see how things are he will either be up for the challenge or be too scared! :)
    In this country we are unfortunately famous for road rage, traffic is hectic and we have the largest number of traffic accidents and deaths in the world.
    Last year over christmas more than 1000 people died on the roads.
    But New Jersey and New York sounds wonderful with so many things to see and do, I also wish I could've tagged along!

Phoebe