Anyone from New Orleans area? Have question RE: rheumy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Dec 20, 2002.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I have my first appointment with a rheumy next week. I know nothing about this lady, other than the fact that my current osteo recommended that I see her, and called her himself to see if she would take me as a new patient. I don't know anyone in this area who sees a rheumy so that's no help to me. I don't know why, but I'm feeling stressed over this.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Why not call the office of this doctor and see what you can find out??

I am originally from New Orleans, but now live in Ponchatoula, Louisiana, but all the good doctors I knew are either dead or left the area. I am no help huh??

I don't go to doctors anymore, so I can't help you.

Isn't there a site that tells you about different doctors in general? and have you checked the 'Doctor Referral' list at the top of this page to see if he/she is listed?

I know that feeling you have, it is not a pleasant one! You need to get some additional information for your own well being.

Where do you live? are you in Louisiana?

Keep your post bumped up, I know I have heard someone mention they are in Louisiana and had a good doctor in Metairie. Hopefully they see your post.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2002]
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

for taking the time to reply. I am in Destrehan. Lived in Metairie for many years, but once I started raising kids, moved to St. Charles Parish for the schools.

I didn't see this doc on the Good Doc list. I did do a web search and pretty much all I found out was that she is a member of the American College of Rheumatology and this: "B.S. in chemistry, 1978, attained fame in her research specialty, the physiology of women. Turning to other fields, she designed and built her own house, complete with a workshop-laboratory, where she invented useful things, such as a fully functioning backpack. In 2002 she published her first novel"

My appointment is Monday morning. I hate going to new docs, I always feel like I have to convince them of whatever's wrong with me and have a fear of not being believed.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I finally remembered who lives in Louisiana besides me!
    Its AnnetteP. I remember her speaking well of her doctor. But I think he/she is in Metairie(the doctor). But she may know of the one you were referred to.

I have a cousin in Destrehan, in the Ormond Estates(never can remember how to spell that French name right!). My brother lived in Metairie on Taft Park.

We all moved from New Orleans a few years ago. My son moved to Chalmette because of the schools for his son,my other son moved to Picayune Miss. for the same reason.

We are all scattered now around Lousisiana and Miss.! Before this we were all from the Old Gentilly area in N.O.

You are about 50 miles (hour drive) from me. I am in the boonies here, but it is beautiful and very peaceful and quiet. Quite a change.

This doctor sounds good, down to the 'backpack'! Do you know what book she wrote? I am a tremendous reader, but not any of Ann Rice (from N.O.), not into vampires!

That is unusual, a novel written by a doctor.

If you were referred to her, possibly she is familiar with FM/CFS, since your doctor called her him/her self. That sounds good to me.

Hopefully AnnetteP is around today, she maybe able to help calm your reservations down a bit if she is familiar with this doctor. She does sound interesting.

Let me know if I can help, well with moral support if nothing else.

Everyone I knew in N.O. are long gone now.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 12/21/2002]
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

so I'm not familiar with the dr.s there. But, I do see an integrative dr. in Metairie, and I think she's probably one of the best in Lousiana, for our types of problems (she does all the forms of testing we discuss on this board, such as yeast, bacteria, mycolplasma, hair analysis, saliva testing for hormones, chelation, etc.). After a lot of reading, I called Great Smokies Lab and requested the names of dr.s in both New Orleans and Lafayette (I live close to Lafayette, but my boyfriend at the time lived in Metairie.) I was given the name of only one dr. in Lafayette, and since I had already been to him and decided he was a quack, I decided to investigate the two dr.s in New Orleans. I chose Dr. Kashi Rai, and feel that I made the best choice. If you would like more information on her, I would be glad to help you, but other than that I have no knowledge of New Orleans dr.s.

Annette
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

Shirl, your cousin lives is Ormond..that is the next subdivision over from me, much nicer than mine! LOL You live north of the lake, my oldest daughter and grandbaby live in Covington and she goes to school in Hammond. I know just where Taft Park is too!

Back to the subject though, all my docs are in Metairie or New Orleans. Destrehan is small, not that many docs here. This rheumy is in New Orleans.

Annette, isn't the one you mentioned on the good doc list? I suppose if I'm not satisfied with the one I will see on Monday I can always change, IF she is on my healthcare plan. At this point I'm satisfied with how my current doc is treating me, but he wants me to see a rheumy because of my hands. I have arthritis in my hands and my thumb bases are staying swollen and with fluid, particularly my left one which looks like a turkey drumstick, no exageration.
    OH - and I have cousins in and around Lafayette too.
    I will let you know how this goes Monday. Wish me luck!

Karen
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I put her there :)

I hope you get help for your arthritis. Nowadays there is so much that can be done for it.

I doubt Dr. Rai is on your list (most of the top docs aren't, unfortunately). She is considered out of network for me, but at least my insurance pays for all the blood work and my few prescriptions; it doesn't cover her fee, nor some of the lab work like what's sent to labs out of state.

Good luck,
    Annette

P.S. You can usually hear her on the radio on WTIX (690 am) on Thursdays between 5-7 pm. The station has a health show, and several different speakers are on. Dr. Rai is often on from 5-6, but sometimes she stays on longer. Its a live call-in program, so you can always get some questions answered. Also, the other dr. I was given the name of from Great Smokies is on the program, but on another day...he is Dr. Carter.[This Message was Edited on 12/21/2002]
  8. karen55

karen55 New Member

Thank you so much, I wasn't aware of the talk show. I haven't listened to wtix am since the late 60's! (giving away my age here.....)

As for treating the arthritis, things have been a little complicated. I've had 2 back surgeries, which followed several abdominal surgeries. My PCP diagnosed osteo arthritis over 2 years ago after testing for RA, Lupus, and others. Things went downhill from there. I was working 2 jobs, both computer related, and my entire body has been hurting for a few years. After the last back surgery 2 years ago I went back to the doc I'm currently seeing; recently I was tested and diagnosed with carpal tunnel too, to go along with all the other stuff. I've tried celebrex, vioxx, mobic, bextra, OTC stuff, none of that helps the supposed arthritis. I think my current doc is at a loss. He diagnosed the FM and CFS and has been working with me with rx, diet, physical therapy, exercise (when I can handle it), but my hands are the reason he is sending me to the rheumy.
    Thanks again, I will make it a point to try and catch her on the radio.
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

Just had to throw this in. I have no knowledge of any doctors in LA, but my brother lives in Covington and I noticed you mentioned having someone who lives there also. He also moved from N.O. for the schools. He has a daughter in seventh grade and one in second, I think. His wife's name happens to be Karen, also!

Barbara
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This is beginning to sound like 'old home week' here! My daughter works in Covington, but lives in Ponchatoula!

Must be Lousisiana Day here!

Shalom, Shirl
  11. karen55

karen55 New Member

amazing if any of our family members who live/work in the same area actually knew each other? :)
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Karen, that would not surprise me at all! Especially my daughter, she is an insurance agent, and knows mega people, plus all the schools and college she has been .

After the holidays, lets trade emails and see if we do know one another.

Shalom, Shirl