Anyone from Nova Scotia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

My DH has a job possibility near Halifax and I am trying to figure out if I should even encourage him to go for it. We are getting pretty desperate so I think I should.

I am worried about moving from Ottawa where I have lived for almost 58 yrs. I don't know about living anywhere else!

How is the dr. situation in Nova Scotia? Are there lots of good naturopaths? What about holistic dentists? And access to organic food? Health food stores?

I have been there several times and loved it - but I was healthy and wasn't thinking of moving there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Pepper

Edited to add a question from my reply because I would REALLY like to know the answer:

How hot does it get in the summertime? From what I remember it never got very hot (and I LOVED the heat back then). Now I cannot tolerate the heat and would be so happy if it stayed cool all summer.

It was 20 degrees outside today here and I have dug out my summer clothes! [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Pepper,
    I'm not from NS, as you know, but that province has been a pioneer in Environmental medicine. They have always been ahead of the rest of us. Do some searching about NS and Env. Medicine and NS and CFS. I think you will find some promising stuff. I don't know about their patient loads and wait times but you have a place to start and you can find those things out.

I would expect that because of the above, there would be lots of Naturopaths and health food stores etc. Again, you can search a lot of this stuff. Maybe, with any luck, there will be someone here who can help further.

I sure hope the job pans out this time.

Kathy
  3. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hi Pepper,
    I am from Bridgewater,N.S. And both my children live in Halifax.Just a little over an hour drive for me.
    And yes there are naturopaths,and health food stores.Do'nt know about holistic dentists.But it is quite a big place.So there may be. And you can get organic food.
    Hope this helped!!
    Jordane
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

They lived in Meteghan.Our family has been there since the 16/17 hundreds.They say it's beautiful!Linda
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

You are right. I had forgotten about the inroads made in EM in Nova Scotia. That is a good sign. And wasn't Dr. Kropp (Kroff?)from N.S.? I will have to look this up.

Perhaps this might be a good place for me.

I appreciate your thoughts.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

I know it is beautiful there from my visits. And I think that the slow pace would be a good change for me. I didn't really appreciate it in my energetic healthy days.

I have been looking up houses on the Internet and the settings all seem so lovely. So much different from what I am used to.

I am glad to hear that there are health food stores, naturopaths and organic food. I am guessing, especially after Kathy's reminder, that N.S. is a leader in this area.

I have one question that I hope someone can answer. How hot does it get in the summertime? From what I remember it never got very hot (and I LOVED the heat back then). Now I cannot tolerate the heat at all and would be so happy if it stayed cool all summer.

It was 20 degrees outside today here and I have dug out my summer clothes!

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

for info about the weather in Nova Scotia.

Thanks!
    Pepper
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Pepper ... my whole family birht and marriage has been born there .. and I have lived there on and off (military) many times there .. the weather is much easier on us .. not so hot and certainly NOT humid like it is here in Ontario .. Kingston is a killer for that ! .. winters are not all that bad either ...

I wouldn't worry about moving there .. you will have access to a lot of what you asked about .. we just happened to end up here in Kingston for my husband's retirement .. we knew the area since we were posted here a few times .. other wise N.S. would have been lovely too !

Go for it .. google all the information you can .. i think you will see it is worth the effort !
    Good Luck ! Joy aka Fudge !
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

I appreciate your opinion. I would so LOVE to get away from the heat and humidity around here. If we have another summer like last summer, I will be spending it indoors in the air conditioning - again. No fun.

Sleeping with the a/c and a fan on is almost impossible many nights in the summer here.

I did notice that most of the houses for sale in N.S. do not have a/c so that was a clue that it is not so hot there.

Thanks so much.
    Pepper
  10. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Pepper ... I'm not going to say it never gets hot there .. but nothing like we suffer here in Ontario ! .. what I loved was the nice cool evenings and the fresh breeze .. and we weren't on the coast last time .. We lived on a semi isolated communications post called "Debert" more towards the Bay of Fundy ... N.S. is a beautiful province ..

I'm sure once you have time to settle in you are going to love it ! .. Is it going to be Halifax that your hubby is looking to for the new job ? .. you will be amazed how good the health care can be there .. how friendly the people are .. let me know the general area and if I can recommend anything or point out something interesting I will ... we were posted from Debert to the Netherlands .. our poor son went through a bit of a shcok like we did ! haha ... You won't have that to deal with at least .. and yes .. because it cools down in the evening there aren't many houses that have AC ..

Here in Kingston we have AC ( for which I am so VERY grateful for ) and a new air purifier for the family room area .. just got that in preperation for that horrible smoothering heat humidity that we will no doubt have yet again !
    You are going to like N.S. !!! Joy : )
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

"Nice and COOL" - that's music to my ears.

The potential job is in Halifax but he hasn't even applied for it yet so I am sort of counting my chickens before they're hatched. I just wasn't sure if I should be encouraging him to apply or not. But I am now!

Once we see if this pans out or not, I may suggest that he look for something else there. I feel that I have to get away from these miserable summers and it seems that Halifax might be one answer. My DH has always wanted to live there so....

I will keep you posted.
    Thanks.
    Pepper
  12. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you pepper ! .. The whole change of location will be stressful at first .. pain will flare undoubtedly .. but things will settle down and I think you and DH can be very happy there !
    Good Luck ! Joy : )
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

I appreciate your thoughts!

Pepper