Anyone from South Africa?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosaine, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Rosaine

Rosaine New Member

I am in Durban, South Africa, and would like to chat with anyone else on this site in South Africa. I have FMS and have become very isolated since I stopped work two years ago. Most people have never heard of FMS and it's difficult to find someone to talk to. Thanks in advance.
  2. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Phoebe1 is from Jo-burg. Search her profile under username.

Hope this helps,
    Best wishes,
    Barry.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Bumping for you -- I thought we had a few here from South Africa, just can't remember their names!! Sorry.

Remember ..... you always have all of us to talk with!!!

take care,
    janet
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'm from South Africa, JuliannaG is also from South Africa and she lives in Durban.
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a bad time, believe me I know exactly what you are talking about. People here haven't got a clue about FMS, and the doctors doesn't help much either.
    I'm glad you found this board, the people here are wonderful and supportive and I have learned more about this illness here than anywhere else.
    This is a great place to be, I hope we will see you here often.

Phoebe
  5. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

Glad I checked into this board today. I don't always have time, because I only have access to a computer at work, and sometimes work pressure prevents me from doing personal stuff at work.

Where in Durban do you live? I live in Hillary. I am in the phone book if you want to contact me in the evening, as we are not allowed to post contact details on this board.
    Julia
    (e mail info removed by moderator....anyone could use it!)
  6. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

Rosaine, unless they list me under Fibro Fog Moment Winner of the Year Award in the telephone directory, you are not going to find my number!!! My post yesterday worried me for ages, and then, on the way home, it hit me!

My surname is that of a former apartheid era Prime Minister, initials BJ. Otherwise you will find my name, and a very bad photo on the library web page - click on InfoFind.

I look forward to hearing from you.
  7. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

Hi Rosaine

I was born in and lived in Durban until my mid-20's. Live in London now but my family is still in Durban. My mom lives quite near to you - in Yellowwood Park (just the other side of the quarry).

Regards

Sam
  8. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

How long have you been living in London? There are estimated to be about half a million South Africans living and working in the U.K. London is now affectionately known as the 10th province of South Africa. I have at least a dozen friends and family over there at the moment.

We often visit my aunt and my sister-in-law who both live in the same road in Woodlands. We drive through the quarry and Yellowwood Park to get there. (The back roads are often quicker - less traffic anyway).
  9. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

I have been in London for just over 10 years, although it has gone so fast I can hardly believe it! Yes, the back roads are quieter than going through Montclair and Kenyon Howden Road to get to Woodlands.

Amazing! It is so weird talking to someone who lives so close to where I was living!

Take care and speak soon.

Regards

Sam
  10. Rosaine

Rosaine New Member

Thanks to all of you who replied to my message. I really appreciate it. A couple ofpeople in SA have contacted me and I will go on from there. Cheers
  11. Rosaine

Rosaine New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I must go onto the profile site to see what I've said about myself and to find out about you and others who have replied. I think I found this site about 2 years ago and registered a profile, but have not followed it up. This is the first I've heard about other South Africans. I will contact you again soon.

Keep well
    Ros
  12. Rosaine

Rosaine New Member

Thanks so much for replying. I live in Glenwood. I can;t think exactly where Hillary is, but I will look you up in the phone bok, and will update my profile. I see peopleare quite cautious on the site about surnames etc. I suppose one has to be careful these days. I will write again soon.
    regards
    Ros
  13. Rosaine

Rosaine New Member

Thanks for your reply. I actually live in Glenwood, but that is also close to Yellowwood Park. I haven't been there for ages, although I used to have a boyfriend who lived there. Whereabouts in London do you live? Like every South African, I also have friends in London. Thanks for replying. I'll write again soon.
    Regards
    Ros
  14. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

at the University on the Berea.

Hillary is between Queensburgh and Bellair. If you go up Jacob's Ladder, Rossburgh, you drive through Seaview, then Bellair, then Hillary, on Sarnia Road. We don't live in the old part of Hillary. Ours is a housing project from the 1960's, right on the border of Queensburgh. There are municipal flats at the bottom of our road, which is a cul-de-sac.

It is amazing how many people have this DD. My doctor says she has a lot of patients with it. (How come I never heard of it before I was diagnosed?) I was only diagnosed about 18 months ago, although I had symptoms long before that. It was only when I was struggling to change my clothes, and then to walk, that I went to the doctor about it.

Even if we don't get together to chat, it is nice to have someone local to chat to on this board. I will look out for your posts! And yours, Samjenkin!