ANYONE FROM UK BEEN TO PAIN CLINIC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have a long awaited appointment with a pain clinic end of this month - UK.

Anyone have any experience of UK pain clinics - are they going to take my - much needed at times - pethedine, away?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

As you know ... I'm an American ...(John Wayne just popped into my head, LOL!), so that rules out UK info .... and, I've never been to a pain clinic for treatment ... Actually, I'm batting 1000 for you on this one, huh?!

What I really wanted to say is YEAH, HORRAY!! The wait is almost over and I hope they help you greatly.

Just wanted to be your personal cheering section on this!

Take care,

Elsa
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Rosie

When there was a consultant in charge of our local pain clinic, who accepted ME/CFS and understood it's ramifications well, PWME/CFS found it very helpful. I was refused a referral at that time despite having through the roof pain levels.

After he left PWME/CFS had an awful time there, exercise was considered the key to managing pain and anti depressants were RX to everyone.

Since tht consultant left the local pain clinic I did better than most local PWME through individual NHS PTs (not attached to the pain clinic) who were defitely more helpful. When my neck issues flared up badly the PT I was seeing rang the GP and insisted I be given something for the pain. Another PT told me to ask for baclofen for my muscle spsams, it was Rx reluctantly, but at least I got it.

Much will depend upon how ME/CFS and FM are percieved at the clinic you will be attending, a Dx of FM as well may help. My personal feeling is you should be very assertive about the pethedine and only accept an equally effective alternative if they you take something else. The fact it works for you needs to be taken into account.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Snowygirl and Elsa, thanks for your wishes, I'll let you know how I get on.

Tansy, thats what I'm afraid of, that the consultant wont understand M.E. - I was referred to the pain clinic before I was given pethedine on a regular basis - I've waited a very long time but now wonder if I should go at all.

I saw a neurologist at same hospital who was ignorant of M.E. and was rude to me but that was 99 and I'd like to think they've all learned a lot more about it and accepted it.

I think my GP would be unhappy if I didnt go.

Thank you all.

love
    Rosie