Anyone gain weight on Prozac?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovecats94, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been on Prozac (20 mg.) since 7/1996, for FMS. Since then I have gained over 80 pounds. I was wondering if others had the same problem with that medicine.

I have read that Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft all cause weight gain. I was told that Prozac would cause weight loss.

TIA!

Take care,
    Faye
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

But i gained a good 30/40 lbs. on Cymbalta. My daughter lost on Prozac but gained about 20 when she stopped taking it. Good Luck Faye.. this weight gain stuff is really hard on the ego huh!!
    hugs
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Thanks, Dononagin! I was just wondering how many lost weight on it and how many gained.

Thanks, I'm trying to lose, but not much is happening...

Take care,
    Faye
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I lost about 20 lbs when I went on prozac. My sis lost the same amount with paxil. I thought they all caused a loss of appetite but maybe for some they do cause weight gain. Years ago I was on sinequan and gained about 10 lbs overnight!
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mollystwin,
    Thanks for letting me know. So it doesn't appear that many people here have had problems with weight gain that they feel is from Prozac.

Well I'm trying to lose weight, so maybe I can accomplish that after all. lol

Take care,
    Faye
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been taking a lose dose, 40mg 1xday, of Prozac for about 3 years now but I also took the full amount for anti-depressant when I was a teen. I haven't gained weight on my current amount and I don't recall gaining weight as a teen.